What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Phil Gould

Juniors
Imagine if we signed Addo Carr then in a few years we managed to lure Tedesco back to the club.

I would have liked all the boys to have given things another year or two together and seen what they could have achieved at the top level. I’m afraid it’s now just water under the bridge as everyone has moved on.

JAC wants to return to the tigers but Tedesco always wanted to play for the roosters. The money the tigers would have to pay would not be worth it, then there’s brown paper bag money on top. I wonder what Saint Nickolas will be bringing Teddy for Christmas this year?

BrotherJim05

Bench
I would have liked all the boys to have given things another year or two together and seen what they could have achieved at the top level. I’m afraid it’s now just water under the bridge as everyone has moved on.

JAC wants to return to the tigers but Tedesco always wanted to play for the roosters. The money the tigers would have to pay would not be worth it, then there’s brown paper bag money on top. I wonder what Saint Nickolas will be bringing Teddy for Christmas this year?

Yeah Tedesco ever coming back is a pipe dream, but sometimes I wonder if he ever just looks at everything he has achieved at Roosters and says "hmmm, I've literally achieved everything possible here. I'm the Australian and NSW Fullback, I've won every individual medal possible and have two premiership rings. What is my next challenge....premiership ring at Tigers? Ha! That would be imposs......hmmm"

Hoofhearted

Juniors
I'm liking Madge more by the day, doesn't take any shit and is not making panic decisions on recruitment. He appears to have the clubs best interests in hand, whereas other coaches would be out there making short term recruitment decisions to benefit themselves.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...f/news-story/bfeef7bfcf90c84c3407a8a3ac2665b2

Latrell Mitchell’s $3.8 million snub of Wests Tigers coaching staff
The Wests Tigers have revealed why they ripped up their $3.8 million offer to Latrell Mitchell to join the growing list of clubs that have rejected the would-be Roosters runaway.

James Phelps, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
November 29, 2019
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/5e0a7cf748c93ea5c211c7220465066b

The Wests Tigers made the bombshell decision to withdraw a $3.8 million offer to Latrell Mitchell after the unwanted Rooster rejected an invitation to meet Michael Maguire.

In a move that put Mitchell one step closer to playing reserve grade with Roosters feeder club the North Sydney Bears, the Tigers yesterday pulled their multimillion-dollar deal after Mitchell refused to travel from Taree to Concord for a face-to-face with Maguire and the Tigers coaching staff.

The Tigers were hopeful of signing Mitchell at the meeting — scheduled for Thursday morning — but instead ripped up the deal to join the growing list of clubs that have rejected the would-be Roosters runaway.

The Tigers will not enter into any new negotiations with Mitchell following the snub.

Speaking about recruitment targets for the first time, Maguire confirmed the Tigers would hit the open market with an estimated $1.5 million to spend.

“We are definitely in a position where we can bring players over,’’ Maguire said.

“I have a current playing group that is working extremely hard to make sure the Wests Tigers are playing finals football next year.

“I am now looking for outside players that want to help us reach our goal of winning grand finals. We need those players to be committed to our organisation and to show us how much they want to be part of what we are working so hard to achieve.

“We want potential players to tell us how they are going to help Wests Tigers move forward.’’

Locked in negotiations with Mitchell for two weeks, Tigers officials suspected the former NSW Origin lacked “commitment’’ to the club.

Following an impressive first meeting with Wests officials, Mitchell is understood to have failed to respond to a series of subsequent requests.

With a side he declared capable of reaching the finals, Maguire said he would not be rushed into making a pre-season signing.

“I have a playing group that is completely committed to this club and we want players that are going to respect what the players have built and contribute to it,’’ Maguire said.

“I have seen some great things from this group of players and this organisation and we have taken some massive steps toward getting to where we want to bn. I could see that in the way we played last year, especially toward the back end of the year.

“We have a strong, gritty team that have shown they are prepared to work hard for each other. We want to find people that will complement us and take us to the next level.’’

The Tigers are understood to have already drawn up a new hit list of potential targets for 2020.

Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr is not on that list.

“My players also want anyone that comes to this club to be committed to what they are doing,’’ Maguire said.

“Over the last two or three weeks we have seen that type of commitment with players here resigning on long term deals because they see where we are going both on and off the field. We have a lot of momentum and we know where we are heading.

“Now it is about me and my staff looking for people that will compliment that. We are looking for top-end players to compliment us and also good young kids.

“I am looking at anyone that is willing to do the work to take the club where we want to get to. We are a very tight group and I want any player that comes here to make a commitment to them.’’

Legion

Juniors
I agree, and he's also gotta do what's best for himself. If any of us were put in his shoes, I bet we would want as much money as possible. It's easy for us to sit here and moan about him taking his time but that's because we care about the club and as fans we can get a little selfish at times and forget the player has to protect themselves before anything else.
True but would you not do that in a respectful way at least, without playing games?
If a club showed interest in you & tabled an offer would you not at the very least, pick up the phone to say 'No thanks' if you weren't interested?

Considering his growing reputation for having a negative attitude & for being 'difficult' to deal with, he really is doing himself no favours by treating clubs with utter disrespect & playing games.

Phil Gould

Juniors
Sounds like Madge is really involving the players as a part of the decision making group, well done! He talks about “My players also want anyone that come to the club to be committed...” if your highest paid player isn’t fully committed, that’s going to rub off in all sorts of negative ways on the rest of the team. Well played Madge!

gordynz

Juniors
True but would you not do that in a respectful way at least, without playing games?
If a club showed interest in you & tabled an offer would you not at the very least, pick up the phone to say 'No thanks' if you weren't interested?

Considering his growing reputation for having a negative attitude & for being 'difficult' to deal with, he really is doing himself no favours by treating clubs with utter disrespect & playing games.
Who knows whether he really didn't want to come here or not. Its all speculation right now. For the better part of the negotiations he's supposedly been spending time with family and doing whatever his agent has advised him to do. If anything he's just naive and his agent is the prick.

Tigerm

First Grade
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...w/news-story/59664ef10d2559b52a9d427b5f995616

TIGERS’ HIT LIST POST-LATRELL

Wests Tigers didn’t want to be left hanging while Latrell Mitchell made a decision on his future so they could further explore the player market if needed.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the club has drawn up a hit list of other backline targets who can play fullback including Anthony Milford, Matt Moylan, Scott Drinkwater, Zac Lomax and William Kennedy.

The other player heavy linked to the club is Josh Addo-Carr who previously played for the Tigers but the Storm have rejected the winger wants out of the club.

The Tigers have $1.7m to splash following the departures of Ryan Matterson, Ben Matulino and Esan Marsters, however that figure will drop once the signing of Luciano Leilua is made official, pending Trent Merrin’s release to St George Illawarra.

axl rose

Bench

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the club has drawn up a hit list of other backline targets who can play fullback including Anthony Milford, Matt Moylan, Scott Drinkwater, Zac Lomax and William Kennedy.

They would not have just made up that list by any chance...

Bubba Kennedy didn't look up to first grade (yet) I think Sharks only gave him 1 run all year in first grade.

Legion

Juniors
Who knows whether he really didn't want to come here or not. Its all speculation right now. For the better part of the negotiations he's supposedly been spending time with family and doing whatever his agent has advised him to do. If anything he's just naive and his agent is the prick.
Naive & not paying any attention to what's happening with his future.
Yes, it looks like his manager is being a prick, but considering the circumstances one would think that would be even more reason for LM to be keeping an eye on things.
It's his reputation that's being dragged through the mud.

The manager is his representative. I'd imagine that a player would give his instructions & then leave the manager to handle it. Then I'd expect that the manager would call at the end of every day during this time to update the player.

The way it looks, and I'm not saying that this is the case, is that LM has washed his hands from making any decision [apart from 'Go with the biggest offer''] & left it 100% up to his manager who is doing an awful job of it.

It comes down to basic manners & respect. A simple phone call to Madge, whether from LM or his manager, to give an answer is not asking a lot.
Instead we hear that we've withdrawn the offer because they haven't heard from him. Poor form.

As others have said, the club has handled this well. About time that we had some good people in charge.
As Phil Gould said, I really like the way Madge is including the players & using the word 'we'. What a refreshing change.

Legion

Juniors
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...w/news-story/59664ef10d2559b52a9d427b5f995616

Wests Tigers didn’t want to be left hanging while Latrell Mitchell made a decision on his future so they could further explore the player market if needed.

The other player heavy linked to the club is Josh Addo-Carr who previously played for the Tigers but the Storm have rejected the winger wants out of the club.

The Tigers have $1.7m to splash following the departures of Ryan Matterson, Ben Matulino and Esan Marsters, however that figure will drop once the signing of Luciano Leilua is made official, pending Trent Merrin’s release to St George Illawarra.
Matt Moylan? Please, God no.

Legion

Juniors
Yeah I think he's said the same to us, twice.

Why did we not go after Turbo from Manly. Better then Latrell, cheaper and none of the strings attached.

Serenity Now.
Thank goodness for that. Sure, Moylan has his moments but is way too inconsistent, can be lazy in defense & goes missing in games. I suspect that he's another who has had people blowing smoke up his arse since a young bloke & suffers from 'Hayne syndrome' [A legend in his own mind] I've never understood why he's been picked for rep sides.

Sure, Tommy is a great player. I'd have him over LM any day but he's a Manly junior & loves playing with his brother. He would take less to stay at Manly. Loyalty is a quality that's so rare in footy these days. Respect.
Thompson played well this year I thought. He puts in & is a team player so I'm not sure why we need a fullback. What am I missing?

WA Tiger

Bench
Yeah Tedesco ever coming back is a pipe dream, but sometimes I wonder if he ever just looks at everything he has achieved at Roosters and says "hmmm, I've literally achieved everything possible here. I'm the Australian and NSW Fullback, I've won every individual medal possible and have two premiership rings. What is my next challenge....premiership ring at Tigers? Ha! That would be imposs......hmmm"
ible

Vic Mackey

Referee

I can tell you first hand he told players he would like to come back after his 4 years at the Roosters if he won a comp with them. This was mid way through 2017 though and I’m sure a lots changed since then.