What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Thank goodness for that. Sure, Moylan has his moments but is way too inconsistent, can be lazy in defense & goes missing in games. I suspect that he's another who has had people blowing smoke up his arse since a young bloke & suffers from 'Hayne syndrome' [A legend in his own mind] I've never understood why he's been picked for rep sides.

Sure, Tommy is a great player. I'd have him over LM any day but he's a Manly junior & loves playing with his brother. He would take less to stay at Manly. Loyalty is a quality that's so rare in footy these days. Respect.
Thompson played well this year I thought. He puts in & is a team player so I'm not sure why we need a fullback. What am I missing?

“Hayne syndrome’ lol.

He’s in some legal difficulties, but he’s got close to the best barrister in Sydney, Mr Richard Pontello Sc.
Mr Hayne is still innocent at the moment and should be in the nrl.

Tigers Tale

Juniors
Geezus I must be a glutton for punishment...I keep looking at the NRL page hoping to read of a significant signing or at the very least some good news relating to the Wests Tigers. All I read is other clubs seeming to be signing players I'd be happy to have at the WT. It seems all this crap regarding Mitchell means we may have missed the boat with some other players.....

gordsy

Juniors
I'm liking Madge more by the day, doesn't take any shit and is not making panic decisions on recruitment. He appears to have the clubs best interests in hand, whereas other coaches would be out there making short term recruitment decisions to benefit themselves.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...f/news-story/bfeef7bfcf90c84c3407a8a3ac2665b2

Latrell Mitchell’s $3.8 million snub of Wests Tigers coaching staff
The Wests Tigers have revealed why they ripped up their $3.8 million offer to Latrell Mitchell to join the growing list of clubs that have rejected the would-be Roosters runaway.

James Phelps, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
November 29, 2019

The Wests Tigers made the bombshell decision to withdraw a $3.8 million offer to Latrell Mitchell after the unwanted Rooster rejected an invitation to meet Michael Maguire.

In a move that put Mitchell one step closer to playing reserve grade with Roosters feeder club the North Sydney Bears, the Tigers yesterday pulled their multimillion-dollar deal after Mitchell refused to travel from Taree to Concord for a face-to-face with Maguire and the Tigers coaching staff.

The Tigers were hopeful of signing Mitchell at the meeting — scheduled for Thursday morning — but instead ripped up the deal to join the growing list of clubs that have rejected the would-be Roosters runaway.

The Tigers will not enter into any new negotiations with Mitchell following the snub.

Speaking about recruitment targets for the first time, Maguire confirmed the Tigers would hit the open market with an estimated $1.5 million to spend.

“We are definitely in a position where we can bring players over,’’ Maguire said.

“I have a current playing group that is working extremely hard to make sure the Wests Tigers are playing finals football next year.

“I am now looking for outside players that want to help us reach our goal of winning grand finals. We need those players to be committed to our organisation and to show us how much they want to be part of what we are working so hard to achieve.

“We want potential players to tell us how they are going to help Wests Tigers move forward.’’

Locked in negotiations with Mitchell for two weeks, Tigers officials suspected the former NSW Origin lacked “commitment’’ to the club.

Following an impressive first meeting with Wests officials, Mitchell is understood to have failed to respond to a series of subsequent requests.

With a side he declared capable of reaching the finals, Maguire said he would not be rushed into making a pre-season signing.

“I have a playing group that is completely committed to this club and we want players that are going to respect what the players have built and contribute to it,’’ Maguire said.

“I have seen some great things from this group of players and this organisation and we have taken some massive steps toward getting to where we want to bn. I could see that in the way we played last year, especially toward the back end of the year.

“We have a strong, gritty team that have shown they are prepared to work hard for each other. We want to find people that will complement us and take us to the next level.’’

The Tigers are understood to have already drawn up a new hit list of potential targets for 2020.

Storm flyer Josh Addo-Carr is not on that list.

“My players also want anyone that comes to this club to be committed to what they are doing,’’ Maguire said.

“Over the last two or three weeks we have seen that type of commitment with players here resigning on long term deals because they see where we are going both on and off the field. We have a lot of momentum and we know where we are heading.

“Now it is about me and my staff looking for people that will compliment that. We are looking for top-end players to compliment us and also good young kids.

“I am looking at anyone that is willing to do the work to take the club where we want to get to. We are a very tight group and I want any player that comes here to make a commitment to them.’’

So let me get this straight according to this article we won't enter in any new negotiations with Latrell but Pascoe has said we would. And the same article says we have no Interest in JAC but other writers for the same paper say we do. Talking about betting each way

WA Tiger

Bench
I can tell you first hand he told players he would like to come back after his 4 years at the Roosters if he won a comp with them. This was mid way through 2017 though and I’m sure a lots changed since then.
Yip he escaped in one piece..same with JAC he said something similar ..Hopefully he does come back ..

WA Tiger

Bench
Sounds like Madge is really involving the players as a part of the decision making group, well done! He talks about “My players also want anyone that come to the club to be committed...” if your highest paid player isn’t fully committed, that’s going to rub off in all sorts of negative ways on the rest of the team. Well played Madge!
3.8m doesn’t go into 4 so that first year of ???$800 k? was a how much do you want to be here question ...and prob a good question ...Madge may not have really wanted him...wise man

3.8m doesn’t go into 4 so that first year of ???$800 k? was a how much do you want to be here question ...and prob a good question ...Madge may not have really wanted him...wise man

Madge was guarded as lats was never in his long term program. He fell into the market by error and he’s spilling out of it in the same way.

WT2K

Juniors
https://amp.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/nr...0191129-p53fgh.html?__twitter_impression=true

NRL clears Musgrove for training return:

The Wests Tigers are inching closer to landing a man mountain who could help fill the void left by Ben Matulino’s retirement after the NRL cleared Zane Musgrove to start training with the joint venture.

Just a day after they sensationally withdrew an offer to Latrell Mitchell, the Tigers are on the cusp of adding some more grunt to their forward pack amid a huge roster overhaul.

Samoan international and former South Sydney prop Musgrove was on the brink of joining Michael Maguire’s Tigers late last year before police charged him with three counts stemming from an incident on the dance floor of the Coogee Bay Hotel, part of the code’s “summer of hell”.

Musgrove entered not guilty pleas to the charges, but the NRL declined to register his contract at the time until his case was resolved.

He was also banned from playing in any NSW Rugby League or Country Rugby League-sanctioned competition, which has effectively amounted to a year on the sidelines.

But after two of the three charges – including aggravated indecent assault and common assault – were dropped last month, the NRL has paved the way for Musgrove to join Maguire’s squad during pre-season training.

Musgrove and former Penrith lower grader Liam Coleman were still found guilty of assault with an act of indecency in the Downing Centre Local Court, which heard a woman told police Musgrove had repeatedly kissed her aggressively.

Musgrove and Coleman were sentenced to 12-month intensive corrections orders.

It wasn’t the first time Musgrove has been in trouble with the law, being sacked by South Sydney after he was convicted of property damage following a late-night fight with his girlfriend who he had driven to pick up from a party. Musgrove had the sentence overturned on appeal.

The NRL is assessing whether Musgrove can now be considered a fit and proper person before rubber stamping any contract.

But it is satisfied he can return to training to ensure the club is not disadvantaged while the assessment takes place.

Sources familiar with Musgrove’s planned return to the NRL said the 23-year-old is only likely to be offered a minimum wage deal as the Tigers seek to register a contract for next year.

The club has requested he only partake in pre-season training at their Concord Oval headquarters and not take part in any official functions away from the venue.

New Zealand coach Maguire has been pivotal in Musgrove’s welfare over the past year after initially trying to lure him to the club shortly after being announced as Ivan Cleary’s successor.

Musgrove made his NRL debut under Maguire at the Rabbitohs in 2016.

Maguire is preparing to wheel out a new-look forward pack next year which will also include Dragons back-rower Luciano Leilua after the retirement of Matulino and Ryan Matterson’s release to join the Eels.

Parramatta is blocking a bid from Tigers-bound teenage behemoth Stefano Utoikamanu to join Maguire’s squad next year despite the 19-year-old wanting to switch clubs immediately. He has already signed a three-year deal with the Tigers from 2021.

The club, which still has more than $1 million to spend in next year’s salary cap, made an aggressive pitch for out-of-favour Kangaroos and Roosters star Mitchell to join the Tigers, but grew frustrated with the stalled negotiations and withdrew a three-year deal from 2021 on Thursday.

The Tigers have been one of the most active clubs in the player market over the silly season and already released Esan Marsters to join the Cowboys.

The recruitment folk aren’t having much of an offseason break!

I’m so sorry that the eels are offended, they got Matt’s now they can stfu and do what we want them to.

Us tigers fans gave them hell when they played us at BankWest during our home match. Homeless Ferals.

Madge has old mates back:

4F9E0B1C-3A01-4E83-AEEE-F9257D877331.jpeg

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...w/news-story/59664ef10d2559b52a9d427b5f995616

TIGERS’ HIT LIST POST-LATRELL

Wests Tigers didn’t want to be left hanging while Latrell Mitchell made a decision on his future so they could further explore the player market if needed.

According to the Sydney Morning Herald, the club has drawn up a hit list of other backline targets who can play fullback including Anthony Milford, Matt Moylan, Scott Drinkwater, Zac Lomax and William Kennedy.

The other player heavy linked to the club is Josh Addo-Carr who previously played for the Tigers but the Storm have rejected the winger wants out of the club.

The Tigers have $1.7m to splash following the departures of Ryan Matterson, Ben Matulino and Esan Marsters, however that figure will drop once the signing of Luciano Leilua is made official, pending Trent Merrin’s release to St George Illawarra.

Please dear God I hope we aren't going after Moylan. I'd be much more happy if we were able to sign a bunch of players on 2-3 year deals:

Drinkwater - fullback
Lomax - centre (and kicker)
Leilua - 2nd Row
Stefano (get Eels to release him early) - prop

Madge can work with all this, then as all the plodders start coming of contract (and we are hopefully making finals) he can identify the key position we can go after a marquee signing

gordynz

Juniors
Naive & not paying any attention to what's happening with his future.
Yes, it looks like his manager is being a prick, but considering the circumstances one would think that would be even more reason for LM to be keeping an eye on things.
It's his reputation that's being dragged through the mud.

The manager is his representative. I'd imagine that a player would give his instructions & then leave the manager to handle it. Then I'd expect that the manager would call at the end of every day during this time to update the player.

The way it looks, and I'm not saying that this is the case, is that LM has washed his hands from making any decision [apart from 'Go with the biggest offer''] & left it 100% up to his manager who is doing an awful job of it.

It comes down to basic manners & respect. A simple phone call to Madge, whether from LM or his manager, to give an answer is not asking a lot.
Instead we hear that we've withdrawn the offer because they haven't heard from him. Poor form.

As others have said, the club has handled this well. About time that we had some good people in charge.
As Phil Gould said, I really like the way Madge is including the players & using the word 'we'. What a refreshing change.

What if he just wants time to think about it? It's looking like a 3-4 year contract somewhere which is a big part of his career and for him to take an extra few weeks isn't unreasonable. Everyone is assuming he's playing us around which could be the case yet there aint any proof so i'd rather take the stance of giving him the benefit of the doubt. For the record, I think we've done the right thing by ourselves by withdrawing the offer but I also don't think Latrell has done anything wrong as of yet.

Legion

Juniors
“Hayne syndrome’ lol.

He’s in some legal difficulties, but he’s got close to the best barrister in Sydney, Mr Richard Pontello Sc.
Mr Hayne is still innocent at the moment and should be in the nrl.
No I wasn't referring to this ... er ... fine upstanding Christians legal issues for sexual assault allegations in two countries.

Hayne was born with natural talent. When the stars align & Hayne turns up, the blokes a wrecking ball. With hard work & dedication he could have been one of the best players ever.

Unfortunately he has a piss-poor attitude that I think comes from the fact that being really good came easy to him. He never had to put in & work hard when young. Turning up was enough.
Every school has a sports star who can do no wrong. When teachers catch them playing up the only punishment is a 'good talking to'. They're not called to account because no-one wants to tarnish their stars image.

People have been making excuse for Hayne long before he hit first grade. It's what he expects, a free pass. Remember when he gifted Qld & try with a brainless move? Then Haynes mummy hit the media because they were being mean to little Jarryd?
Hayne is a lazy trainer who can't be a good influence on junior players. He's as inconsistent as it gets.
No way would I want him at the Tigers. ..... but hey, don't get me started, lol.

So the Hayne syndrome refers to blokes like him, Moylan, Poses is another one who comes to mind, who've developed a poor attitude because they've grown up never being called to account & having smoke blown up their arses because they were talented.
They've won the game before it's started, so when things go south in a game, rather than digging in they go missing.
That's Moylan to a T.

gordynz

Juniors
I would definitely take Drinkwater. He's a gun but will come cheapish as he still needs to really prove himself in the NRL but from what I saw of him last season, the kid has massive potential.

Latest posts