What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Noise

Coach
Fk you people are dumb.
Of course it was a swap deal. Why do you think they let Matterson go so easily.

The tigers could have easily made Matterson play on, and its happened before. There are plenty of players who've asked for a release but not granted.
What did we give the Tigers as part of this swap? Over to you Chiefy.

emjaycee

Coach
I wonder if it’s a ploy to try and keep him - but not sure how he wouId “break” his contract.

Tigers havent announced it yet either.
My mail is something similar - no surprise in the club if he plays some first grade with us in 2020 and then decides he'd rather stay with his mates. Not sure how he'd get out of the Tigers contract though. Maybe we'd have to do a swap with them.

TheRam

Coach
Why Manly? They are a good team with some potential and a couple of superstars, but they will have inexperience in some key positions, Turbo is a bit injury prone, Jake won't start the season and the backline has some average players. I wouldn't put them ahead of us.

Because the comp will be even weaker next year, so it won't take a great team to win it.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
My mail is something similar - no surprise in the club if he plays some first grade with us in 2020 and then decides he'd rather stay with his mates. Not sure how he'd get out of the Tigers contract though. Maybe we'd have to do a swap with them.

Their management doesn't seem the brightest bunch. He'd probably just have to ask, they'll crumble and their fans get to play the victims again. Actually if this happens it works out better for everyone.

Happy MEel

First Grade
It was pretty silly of Stefano And his management to sign on the dotted line so early. We should be a genuine contender during the period of his next contract and by all reports he signed the Tigers contract for only slightly more than our offer. They’re no chance over the next 3-4 years.

The Tigers will simply tell him/us to get f**ked if he’s any good and tries to weasel out of his contract, just as we’ve done to his request for a release. $270k is peanuts for a solid top 17 middle with potential to be good, which he could quite easily be by 2021.

Last edited:

chiefy1

Juniors
What did we give the Tigers as part of this swap? Over to you Chiefy.

I take back the dumb call - i was referring to hindyrulz only ! Pau and the remainder including gronk are all intelligent merkins.!

The confusing situation with Stefano, is that we could have easily topped up his minimum wage for 2020 meaning we really only needed to almost match the tigers offer for him to be financially way in front..

Is our 2020 cap so stretched that we couldn't afford an extra 150k towards Utoki for this upcoming season?

Last edited:

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I take back the dumb call - i was referring to hindyrulz only ! Pau and the remainder including gronk are all intelligent merkins.!

The confusing situation with Stefano, is that we could have easily topped up his minimum wage for 2020 meaning we really only needed to almost match the tigers offer for him to be financially way in front..

Is our 2020 cap stretched that far that we couldn't afford an extra 150k towards Utoki for this upcoming season?
LOL!! Dig up stupid.

hindy111

Post Whore
I just don't know if I believe a lot of this. I reckon we are not letting him go to send a message to other clubs. Otherwise teams could poach guys still under a development contract that we are paying 60k and bump them up to 200k which already gives them 140k extra.
It might of even been part of the plan told to Stefano. Once we sign you they will most likely release you and we will give you 250k for 2020.

Delboy

First Grade

Is our 2020 cap stretched that far that we couldn't afford an extra 150k towards Utoki for this upcoming season?
Could it be that the committee that makes decisions on contracts is hideously slow and reactive. The HOF has managed some decent things, but when 2 important young players in the spine remain to be signed beyond 2020, as does Oregan, could he be out of his depth or possibly so focussed on procedures that opportunities are missed.

Although some will argue , the number of young players left where other clubs got under our guard due to delays in offers is disappointing to say the least

Gronk

Staff member
Seriously, whoever has been steering the Latrell ship needs to cop a Mitchell Allgood right cross.

Happy MEel

First Grade
I just don't know if I believe a lot of this. I reckon we are not letting him go to send a message to other clubs. Otherwise teams could poach guys still under a development contract that we are paying 60k and bump them up to 200k which already gives them 140k extra.
It might of even been part of the plan told to Stefano. Once we sign you they will most likely release you and we will give you 250k for 2020.
I think the last paragraph is entirely possible. The Tigers’ mistake may be that they thought our management were as spineless as they were and Utoikamanu’s management were stupid enough to believe them.

chiefy1

Juniors
Or maybe the Eels are saving the remainder of whatever cap money they have to top up Dylan 2020, who was always the highest priority.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Wasn't there a a Twitter post a few days ago, claiming that the Eels had evidence that the Tigers approached Utoikamanu illegally, or something?

That may explain why things are going down how they are...

hindy111

Post Whore
Could it be that the committee that makes decisions on contracts is hideously slow and reactive. The HOF has managed some decent things, but when 2 important young players in the spine remain to be signed beyond 2020, as does Oregan, could he be out of his depth or possibly so focussed on procedures that opportunities are missed.

Although some will argue , the number of young players left where other clubs got under our guard due to delays in offers is disappointing to say the least

You would know far more about this then I do. I'm putting a puzzle together blind.
I'd be suprised if Kafusi,Mahoney or Dbags left.
I get impression bar maybe Stefano and the guy Raider pinched the club didn't care a whole lot for them. I mean the halves that left are pointless. We have 3 young ones already. Club prob didn't care as have spots covered.
Who else of note that left is worrying? SALESI couldnt even hold out Davey for a spot.

lingard

Coach
There appears to be a definite Premiership window opening up for us if we're good enough and can make a one or two astute signings in the off-season.

The Roosters without Cronk and potentially Mitchell should slip back a bit. I'd be surprised if the Storm field a Premiership contending squad next season (still will probably be minor premiers). Souths without Sutton and Burgess shouldn't be anywhere near as strong. Raiders are vulnerable for a back-it-up next season scenario. No other squad appears to be significantly improving their squad.

It appears to be available if we're smart and good enough.

Canberra still look strong to me.

Latest posts