What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't established First Graders want to play for Tigers?

WA Tiger

Bench
we just have to toil away buying good players and forget about the stars until later when success comes ..like real success ...I was watching mick Innes on Foxtel yesterday describing the I think the annual Easter clash between dragons and Easts ...I missed the end but I think the roosters won it but he said the dragons had won that game four years in a row ..Easts had what looked like a pretty average team maybe I missed someone .. and not that long ago .players of note only included mini and JRH ..Friend played Sam Perret on the wing ...We just have to keep building a step at a time instead of trying to jump 5 steps at once

Last edited:

stryker

First Grade
Its a number of factors...

Reputation - most fans see the JV as the unholy marriage of rugby leagues two worst clubs. They think the merger is a joke and the resultant club a laughing stock.

Location - It may come as some surprise to a lot of the clubs supporters born and raised there, but Western Sydney is as desirable a location to live or visit as hell itself.

Professionalism - Shithouse training facilities, terrible management, poor coaches, run down terrible home grounds...the club runs a two bit show.

Culture - losing. Thats it.

BrotherJim05

Bench
I still don't buy the location business. Would players really prefer to live in Penrith or Canberra? f**k that. Unless you somehow don't have a car, its really not too different from being based around Bankstown or Parra, and they seem to have no issues signing players we would give our left nut for

Tigerm

First Grade
If I had to guess.... Benji and Robbie won premierships early, were kings and given status. If we didnt win 2005, have go consider they wouldn't have stayed for long. Lawrence and Nofo were Campbelltown locals who never had major interest from elsewhere to question it. Brooks was sold a DCE pipe dream at the time of re-signing he may already regret...
Not sure why you would find it hard for people to like playing for the club they have followed all their life?
Sometimes, its more then winning that keeps people around, I mean look at us. Look at the Trbojevic Bros at Manly.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Its a number of factors...

Reputation - most fans see the JV as the unholy marriage of rugby leagues two worst clubs. They think the merger is a joke and the resultant club a laughing stock.

Location - It may come as some surprise to a lot of the clubs supporters born and raised there, but Western Sydney is as desirable a location to live or visit as hell itself.

Professionalism - Shithouse training facilities, terrible management, poor coaches, run down terrible home grounds...the club runs a two bit show.

Most fans??? how do you this, they have a strong membership, sorry but your statement is BS without facts

Again BS, not sure where you live & we are not as fancy as some places, but parts of the WT's region if beautiful, have you been to Balmain (its surrounded by water) & besides you can live anywhere that suits you.

I haven't seen there facilities, but it has been said that other clubs facilities are worse, but that hasn't stopped there success. Aren't we building new training facilities? The rest of your statement, I wonder why you are here?

Agree, but hopefully that is changing.

Last edited:

The unknown

Juniors
Corey Thompson and Josh Reynolds I know live around the shire area, pretty damn far from concord.

Me thinks it's mainly to do with facilities and unstable management over the years

stryker

First Grade

Most fans??? how do you this, they have a strong membership, sorry but your statement is BS without facts

Again BS, not sure where you live & we are not as fancy as some places, but parts of the WT's region if beautiful, have you been to Balmain (its surrounded by water) & besides you can live anywhere that suits you.

I haven't seen there facilities, but it has been said that other clubs facilities are worse, but that hasn't stopped there success. Aren't we building new training facilities? The rest of your statement, I wonder why you are here?

Agree, but hopefully that is changing.
You must live in a bubble if you dont understand that the majority of rival fans dont respect our club. By extension it stands to reason that this is a view held by all stakeholders in the game. We are here to make up the numbers only. We are that guy at at the party who is too quiet and people think he is weird.

The only way we attract a serious interest in player sigs is to relocate and start again. Become the new boy in town, ditch reliance on juniors and assemble a squad rather than grow one. Triballism and Sydney are not the future for this club. Time to get on board.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I do feel the lack of identity the club has is a major issue is being taken seriously. 5 home grounds? Think about it from an outsiders point of view, it’s laughable.

Even as an old Balmain fan I’d support a shift a making Campbelltown a more full time base. With the risk of derailing the thread, 8 games at CSG. 3 at Leichhardt bad 1 at tamworth (I do believe the club is getting a benefit from this, I have family in a neighboring town and they say the Tigers are getting a big supprt base from this)

Tiger05

First Grade
I still don't buy the location business. Would players really prefer to live in Penrith or Canberra? f**k that. Unless you somehow don't have a car, its really not too different from being based around Bankstown or Parra, and they seem to have no issues signing players we would give our left nut for

Concord is much better than Bankstown or Parra.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
The poor management & revolving door of coaches is the biggest factor that has damaged the club in recent years. We were a joke up until mid 2005, No one wanted to sign with us so we relied on young guys & what other clubs thought were washed up has beens. We won a comp & that should have been the point the club turned itself around. Unfortunately we didn't it, we were shown to be a flash in the pan fluke premiership that most people involved in the game thought we were.

Towards the end of 2009 we started to to get our shit together again & showed some promise. We signed Lote which at the time was a massive signing, he was the type of player that would never have signed with our club in the past. 2010 & 2011 were great years. 2012 unfortunately coincided with Sheens turning into his alter ego Tom Shines & with poor recruitment & retention decisions we plummeted back down to earth & have been stagnant ever since.

Potter should never have been sacked but he paid the price for trying to breakup the boys club mentality that Sheens had let take over the club. Then management made the worst decision in the joint ventures history & signed Jason Taylor. His treatment of Farah with full backing by management who is a club legend was disgraceful & every player in the league saw how he was treated. It did untold damage to the clubs reputation. Even if it was the right decision to move Farah on it was handled horribly.

I'm from the Balmain side of the joint venture, but if this club is to ever seriously move forward we need to fully embrace the joint venture. IMO we should move to Perth, become Western Tigers & never look back. If we do it right we could become an absolute power house. However I think the more practical thing for us is a full time move to Campbelltown. Set up a training base there & fully embrace the local community. We can't keep playing out of multiple home grounds etc. As much as I love Balmain they're dead & it's time to move on & move forward.

Tigerm

First Grade
I do feel the lack of identity the club has is a major issue is being taken seriously. 5 home grounds? Think about it from an outsiders point of view, it’s laughable.

Even as an old Balmain fan I’d support a shift a making Campbelltown a more full time base. With the risk of derailing the thread, 8 games at CSG. 3 at Leichhardt bad 1 at tamworth (I do believe the club is getting a benefit from this, I have family in a neighboring town and they say the Tigers are getting a big supprt base from this)
But isn't that the price you pay for a JV. St George do it down at W'gong (they have 6 games there next season)?

Do you think Leichhardt oval is a bad choice?

Last edited:

Front-Rower

First Grade
Towards the end of 2009 we started to to get our shit together again & showed some promise.

Because we had a half decent halfback? Shame he turned out to be a drop kick who bashed his missus

oh and Gareth Ellis started to hit his straps. God bless you Gareth

Mader45

Juniors
Not sure why you would find it hard for people to like playing for the club they have followed all their life?
Sometimes, its more then winning that keeps people around, I mean look at us. Look at the Trbojevic Bros at Manly.

Its simple... im pissed off and dont get why our club is always the last in on the joke.

Meanwhile all Sydney teams basically need a commission into what the hell is going on. Somehow over the last decade 6 guys developed outside NSW (Smith, JT, Cronk, Inglis, Lockyer and Slater) became the most dominant players in the game. The only other player I'd consider for future immortal status is Benji. Maybe its a narrow vision but to me there is a clear line between pre Benji NRL and post Benji NRL.

Yet in the last 15 years only 2 NSW players will be talked about in similar circumstances in the future.... Johns and Tedesco.

That says something about league in Sydney. Its rotten. There is no way in hell 1 player in Sydney was produced in 15 years who didnt have the potential to be as good as those 6 players.

So, yeah. Im pissed off and confused to buggery is all. I love our team, but with 2020 about to start and realising it will be another year of all of us rationalizing it as a success if we finish 8th... its hard to be positive about a lot except hoping Benji has a blinder and goes out the legend he truly is. It sucks to think the guy probably only has 20 or so games left and will never grace us with his magic again.

simmo05

Bench
I left cn in 2000 and have been back to visit my family 4 times.

This. The future is in the south west, or western Australia.

WA Tiger

Bench
The poor management & revolving door of coaches is the biggest factor that has damaged the club in recent years. We were a joke up until mid 2005, No one wanted to sign with us so we relied on young guys & what other clubs thought were washed up has beens. We won a comp & that should have been the point the club turned itself around. Unfortunately we didn't it, we were shown to be a flash in the pan fluke premiership that most people involved in the game thought we were.

Towards the end of 2009 we started to to get our shit together again & showed some promise. We signed Lote which at the time was a massive signing, he was the type of player that would never have signed with our club in the past. 2010 & 2011 were great years. 2012 unfortunately coincided with Sheens turning into his alter ego Tom Shines & with poor recruitment & retention decisions we plummeted back down to earth & have been stagnant ever since.

Potter should never have been sacked but he paid the price for trying to breakup the boys club mentality that Sheens had let take over the club. Then management made the worst decision in the joint ventures history & signed Jason Taylor. His treatment of Farah with full backing by management who is a club legend was disgraceful & every player in the league saw how he was treated. It did untold damage to the clubs reputation. Even if it was the right decision to move Farah on it was handled horribly.

I'm from the Balmain side of the joint venture, but if this club is to ever seriously move forward we need to fully embrace the joint venture. IMO we should move to Perth, become Western Tigers & never look back. If we do it right we could become an absolute power house. However I think the more practical thing for us is a full time move to Campbelltown. Set up a training base there & fully embrace the local community. We can't keep playing out of multiple home grounds etc. As much as I love Balmain they're dead & it's time to move on & move forward.
And we are still recovering from the little fker!

WA Tiger

Bench
Thats what a big part of the Centre of Excellence is about.

But yeah its been f**ked ever since day one.

I guess its not impressive when yo get a tour of your new work place and it looks like shite.
I need some photos of these facilities the shit ones first and this centre of excellence wherever it is at ...Silverdale?? Surely the new lawyer guy would know this and make it a Priority...I’m imagining players being signed the first thing they would want to tell there mates is what impressive training facility they have...

Last edited: