What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trent Merrin

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
I'd say that if Flanagan did not have the NRL two year head coach ban over his head, the Board would have probably let Mary go with a golden handshake prior to season 2020. If this ban can be reduced a year for 'good behaviour' maybe Flanagan could be our head coach for 2021.

Of course there is no telling what the future plans are, especially with Dean Young still on the coaching staff and his with farther being a member of the Board.
Dean I am your farther

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
So, LL told the club he wouldn’t stay beyond 2020, that makes letting him go easier to take except for the deeper story it probably tells.

Merrin for two years may work out well for us; let’s hope.

Wish him well and Mary the sack.
I don’t reckon, he’s had plenty of time to get fit. Coaches play their part but if the work ethic isn’t there it isn’t there. Apparently he’s often late to training, and Mary probably ripped him. Maybe he doesn’t respect Mary so can’t take a good tipping. Madge will rip him too and he won’t like that either. I reckon he will go well this year just like when anyone changes jobs, but will eventually fall back into the same patterns again. Merrin won’t miss tackles and will be rock solid for us.

getsmarty

Immortal
merrint-15041709.jpeg

DRAGONS

Merrin returns to the Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 06:45 AM

Veteran forward Trent Merrin will return to the St George Illawarra Dragons ahead of the 2020 Telstra Premiership season.

Merrin has signed a two-year deal and will remain at the club until at least the end of 2021.

Merrin debuted for the Red V in 2009 and spent seven seasons with the club where he amassed 133 NRL games, including the club's 2010 grand final victory against the Sydney Roosters.

The Shellharbour Sharks junior spent a further three seasons at the Penrith Panthers before venturing abroad last year to play for English Super League outfit Leeds Rhinos.

The now 30-year-old has played 13 Origins for New South Wales and seven Tests for Australia across his 11-year first grade career.

Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward confirmed Merrin would take Luciano Leilua's vacated spot in the Dragons' Top 30.

Leilua recently requested and has today been granted a release from the final year of his contract.

"Trent could've jumped like a kangaroo all the way back to Australia he's that excited to come back to the Dragons," Millward said.

"Trent has indicated to the club several times over the past 12 months that he'd love to come home; an opportunity for this has since come up after the club granted Luciano his requested release.

"Luciano indicated he wouldn't be renewing his contract with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season. As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money.

"Trent brings plenty of experience to the Dragons' forward pack and is someone who is really passionate and can't wait to put the Red V back on."

Merrin's signature follows news of Issac Luke's arrival at the Dragons in another boon of experience for the Red V.

"We expect everyone to step up and improve vastly on their performances from last year," Millward said.

"Trent will be a player who will hit the ground running straight away. He's a confident player who will be very good around the group as far as his demeanour is concerned.

"Along with Issac (Luke), he'll bring a wealth of experience. Both players have played at the highest level and played in premiership-winning seasons."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/11/30/merrin-returns-to-the-dragons/

Old Timer

Coach
So.. At the moment it’s your opinion..

It’s pretty easy to say if you saw it via the Dragons website or maybe read it in an article..

Don’t start personal attacks just because you’ve been caught out talking shit..
This is the offensive post
You clearly play the man as your last sentence says it all
Just because someone doesn’t have total recall at your request instantly according to you they are talking shit and have been caught out which infers they were lying which is insulting
You obviously don’t like him, sweat on him and purposely ask questions to invoke the type of response that you can take a rise out of which centres the thread to being about you
Self fulfilling actions on your part

thebigredv

First Grade
I don't have words... after the year we had, signings like Luke and Merrin are the ultimate insult. Nothing can be gained from trading promise and future for has-beens who are no longer in their prime.

getsmarty

Immortal
I don't have words... after the year we had, signings like Luke and Merrin are the ultimate insult. Nothing can be gained from trading promise and future for has-beens who are no longer in their prime.

Desperation from a coach trying to save his job...Experience = success in his eyes....lets hope for everyone's sake we lose the 1st 10 games so we can see and end to this train-wreck.

getsmarty

Immortal

Prior, Merrin, Leilua released to make immediate switches
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Sat 30 Nov 2019, 08:05 AM

Matt Prior has announced his departure from the Sharks to Leeds, which has triggered Trent Merrin's exit from the Super League club to return to the NRL with his junior club St George Illawarra.

In announcing Merrin's homecoming, the Dragons also released forward Luciano Leilua, who has joined the Wests Tigers on a three-year deal.

Prior's signature is a massive boost for Leeds - the 32-year-old prop, who has played more than 250 games in the NRL and represented NSW in an Origin match in 2018, has inked a two-year deal.

A premiership winner in 2010 with the Dragons and 2016 with the Sharks, Prior will link with his former Cronulla teammate Ava Seumanufagai at the Rhinos.

"I know that Leeds Rhinos have a fantastic history but have had some tough times in recent years," Prior said.

"Hopefully I can play my part in lifting the clubs fortunes and get us back to challenging for silverware again. I know Ava Seumanufagai and Adam Cuthbertson well so it will be good to catch up with those guys and I am sure everyone will make me feel at home.

NRL Data Jam challenges brightest minds

"I nearly signed for the Rhinos a couple of years ago but we didn’t get the deal done so this is something I have always had in my mind.

"It is an exciting time to be moving to Super League with players like Sonny Bill Williams, Gareth Widdop and George Burgess coming into an unforgiving competition and I can’t wait to get involved with the Rhinos boys in training."

Merrin was also part of St George Illawarra's 2010 title team and has agreed to a two-year contract with his former club after Leeds released him on "compassionate grounds".

Merrin debuted for the Red V in 2009 and spent seven seasons with the club where he amassed 133 NRL games.

The Shellharbour Sharks junior spent a further three seasons at the Penrith Panthers before venturing abroad last year to play for Leeds.

The 30-year-old has played 13 Origins for NSW and seven Tests for Australia across his 11-year first grade career.

"Trent could've jumped like a kangaroo all the way back to Australia he's that excited to come back to the Dragons," Dragons director of pathways Ian Millward said.

"Trent has indicated to the club several times over the past 12 months that he'd love to come home; an opportunity for this has since come up after the club granted Luciano his requested release.

2020 Magic tickets now on sale

"Luciano indicated he wouldn't be renewing his contract with the Dragons beyond the 2020 season. As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money.

"Trent brings plenty of experience to the Dragons' forward pack and is someone who is really passionate and can't wait to put the Red V back on."

Tigers coach Michael Maguire believes he can get the best out of Leilua.

"I’m very pleased we’ve been able to secure a player with Luciano’s talent and potential for the future," Maguire said.

"He offers another dimension to our forward pack and gives us an added edge with his ball-playing and creativity.

"With more experience and time, I can see Luciano developing into a really strong player for this club and we’re all excited to see him take those next steps in his career here."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/11/30/prior-merrin-leilua-released-to-make-immediate-switches/

Dragon70

Juniors
It's about balance and with the pack we have releasing Luciano for Merrin doesn't make sense.

We have experience.

The only way this works would be if Merrin was replacing Graham or if they have bought him in as insurance to cover JDB which reeks of desperation.

To me this is a short sighted move.

Hopefully I'm wrong and Merrin comes back with something to prove.

Desperation from a coach trying to save his job...Experience = success in his eyes....lets hope for everyone's sake we lose the 1st 10 games so we can see and end to this train-wreck.
I don't think that the signing of Luke and Merrin is a forward looking move. However Cameron Smith is 36 and still plays well. He has had the odd injury during his career but keeps coming back. Hope I am proven wrong on the first two mentioned. Mind you Smith is a class or two above the two signings.

Belta

Juniors
I’m ok with this. I think Merrin will be very consistent over the next two years. Likewise I think LL will be equally good for the Tigers. Also given that LL was leaving in 2021 it makes better sense to send him now and fill the void with something near or near abouts and Merrins still quiet young and has plenty of ups. The biggest being he wants to be here.

getsmarty

Immortal
I don't think that the signing of Luke and Merrin is a forward looking move. However Cameron Smith is 36 and still plays well. He has had the odd injury during his career but keeps coming back. Hope I am proven wrong on the first two mentioned. Mind you Smith is a class or two above the two signings.

Agree....but that's McGregor's philosophy...Journeymen over youth.

Paddles

Juniors
I don't mind the idea of adding Merrin to bolster the pack but at the cost if losing Luc puts us back in the negative imo.

I will be very interested to see what else Millward does with...

"As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money."

Yeah how much were they paying Leilua, and what are they paying Merrin?

qld redvee

Juniors
I don't mind the idea of adding Merrin to bolster the pack but at the cost if losing Luc puts us back in the negative imo.

I will be very interested to see what else Millward does with...

"As a result we'll be able to do a multiple things as far as overall recruitment is concerned with Luciano's money."
Dragsters,
this quote makes it sound like Luc was on huge $$ and we now have spare coin to fill our top 30 . MAYBE merrin will be on same $ as Luc this year but I reckon next year he will be on a larger contract ( hope Im wrong) cant see how we are now flush with cash after this swap .. Just means mary has his ready made jdb replacement in merrin . I can see multiple player position moves now that could overshadow the dufty norman widdop hunt fiasco of 2019
Merrin to start at lock / moves up to replace a prop/ cam goes back to lock / isaac luke on to replace cam / while a starting prop goes to bench.. Yep that will work get all the experience on the park but dont use a game plan .. But I wish Luc all the best.

Latest posts