What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2nd Test D/N: Australia v Pakistan at Adelaide, Nov 29 - Dec 3 2019

undertaker

Coach
Well easily the best I have seen, with 2 good knees he could of been an all time great.

One of my fav Bats to watch ever.
Injured his knee playing rugby union.

I agree, could've gone on to be one of the greatest had injury not shortly cut his career.

JJ

Immortal
Why do they keep saying Warner’s catch was good?

Smith’s catch was good, Warner’s was easy

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Martin Crowe 7 more tests than Steve Smith, over 1500 less runs.
And how many less tests has Smith played against the unstoppable force that was the West Indies attack??? Crowe would average mid 50’s now easily. There were no free lunches back in the 80’s.

JJ

Immortal
And how many less tests has Smith played against the unstoppable force that was the West Indies attack??? Crowe would average mid 50’s now easily. There were no free lunches back in the 80’s.
Both remarkable players. Smith’s record is amazing but could watch Crowe all day.

No question imo that things were tougher then, wickets too of course. Border and Chappell also would have better records today imo

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Both remarkable players. Smith’s record is amazing but could watch Crowe all day.

No question imo that things were tougher then, wickets too of course. Border and Chappell also would have better records today imo
AB played over 30 tests against that Windies attack and managed to average over 40. In AB’s day an average of over 40 was world class let alone against the greatest bowling attack the world has ever seen.

Blokes like Sylvester Clarke and Winston Davis would be superstars in today’s game.

typicalfan

Coach

True, just showing how much Smith is becoming an anomaly no matter which era you compare it to. I compared Root and Williamson too.

The longer he averages well into the sixties the more he will drift further in front in terms of numbers. Even if the Windies of the 80s dropped his average by 10 he would still stand out.

Reactions: JJ

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Statistically this is the hardest era to bat in like a decade or so. I don't see why the batsmen of today are being talked down.

Did anyone catch this? Warney reckons Slater & Warner are in the conversation as Australia’s best ever opener :joy:

Do these guys know nothing about cricket history?

what about Simpson, Lawry, Ponsford, Woodfull, Morris all these guys are better than those 2.

Bob Simpson btw is probably our greatest ever opener. Averaged 55 over 38 tests opening

TheParraboy

Staff member
Did anyone catch this? Warney reckons Slater & Warner are in the conversation as Australia’s best ever opener :joy:

Do these guys know nothing about cricket history?

what about Simpson, Lawry, Ponsford, Woodfull, Morris all these guys are better than those 2.

Bob Simpson btw is probably our greatest ever opener. Averaged 55 over 38 tests opening

Warne paid the big bucks to initiate the big topics to make a big idiot of himself

typicalfan

Coach
Only thing I'll say is Simpson is before Warney and Vaughan's era so they might not consider players they didn't play with or against.

Have the discussion with Chaps and Boycott and you will get a different response.

Statistically this is the hardest era to bat in like a decade or so. I don't see why the batsmen of today are being talked down.

If you’re talking about Warner, the issue is really his away form. He’s one of the best ever batsmen in Australian conditions, but he’s a poor away batsmen. Of the 51 batsmen with more than 1000 runs away from home this decade, he’s 41st in away average.

Latest posts