What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Weidler still saying Addo-Carr wants to move back to Sydney, presents a reasonable case too.

I think Melbourne may have been doing a bit of disaster control as they’ve lost a few players recently, seen some upset fans on social media.

Abacus

Juniors
Shame that it was the talented, lazy juniors that had the issues with Hook - while they kept making finals.

2019 showed the level of discipline required to have any level of success in the NRL - does anyone see any correlation between those players moved on by Ivan and those that reportedly had issues with Hook?

The yak

Juniors
Yeah but you need to have knowledge and be respected. No one respects that dud

Funny that.
After he was sacked he received numerous text messages from players from the club. Expressing sympathy and thanking him for their opportunities. A beautiful one came from Nathan according to a certain journalist.
If you don't like or respect the bloke your hardly going to send him a message of thanks and support. You just don't bother - Unless you are warped.
Hook had his faults and some players didn't get on with him - but he had others who did.

franklin2323

Immortal
Shame that it was the talented, lazy juniors that had the issues with Hook - while they kept making finals.

2019 showed the level of discipline required to have any level of success in the NRL - does anyone see any correlation between those players moved on by Ivan and those that reportedly had issues with Hook?

too soon to say for Ivan’s one’s moved on but those moved on under Hook haven’t kicked on either. It was just easy to blame the coach then players

franklin2323

Immortal
I think you can. The club can have standards they expect. If you don't put in to a set standard with training and rehab you aren't welcome for example. Some simple things can be done.

There is set standards across every club. It is those that try to cut corners continually or that don’t follow it that have the issues

OldPanther

Coach
There is set standards across every club. It is those that try to cut corners continually or that don’t follow it that have the issues

If what people here are saying is true the club allowed it to become an issue. Maybe they don't support it but the fact we've had so many would suggest they need to make it a clearer part of the club moving forward.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Weidler still saying Addo-Carr wants to move back to Sydney, presents a reasonable case too.

I think Melbourne may have been doing a bit of disaster control as they’ve lost a few players recently, seen some upset fans on social media.

I think he’ll play one more season with the storm and leave. 2021 is what I think he’s looking at.

franklin2323

Immortal
If what people here are saying is true the club allowed it to become an issue. Maybe they don't support it but the fact we've had so many would suggest they need to make it a clearer part of the club moving forward.

There were many issues of player’s being discplined in the recent history.. lower grades is much harder with work etc but Peachey trained in his clothes one day to not be late. Still was dropped under hook. The undiscplined stuff on the field kept going after coach changed.. as did the off field. I guess we see if it changes now after the cleanout

I think he’ll play one more season with the storm and leave. 2021 is what I think he’s looking at.

You’re probably right there, it’s getting late to sort out contracts for next year. I’d still be very interested in him for 2021. I don’t see any player coming through that’s like him.

If we signed him you’d commit everything we can in to improving Naden as a centre, and then have To’o & JAC on the wing for 2021.

With Tamou off contract there should be a little money to spend for the 2021 season, even if we re-sign him.

Abacus

Juniors
It was the correction of attitude in the club that players were unhappy with the coach about. A few precious ones didn't understand the need to buy into team discipline and tough training regimes. At least they're gone now.

It was the correction of attitude in the club that players were unhappy with the coach about. A few precious ones didn't understand the need to buy into team discipline and tough training regimes. At least they're gone now.

I wonder if from a team perspective it’s better to change discipline a little more slowly? If you change coach is the best approach to go from on style to the next style immediately, or would it be better for the new coach to slowly change things?

He may well have done this, we can’t know. But it just strikes me that changing styles instantly may not be the best approach.

franklin2323

Immortal
I wonder if from a team perspective it’s better to change discipline a little more slowly? If you change coach is the best approach to go from on style to the next style immediately, or would it be better for the new coach to slowly change things?

He may well have done this, we can’t know. But it just strikes me that changing styles instantly may not be the best approach.

you often get a good turnover of players the 1st couple of years... That seems to be the less painful way of doing it

you often get a good turnover of players the 1st couple of years... That seems to be the less painful way of doing it

I think the incoming coach could be mindful not to change things too quickly. It depends on a range of factors, but I feel some of the player turnover is all about the coach buying themselves time. If you’re a truly good coach you should be able mostly work with the squad you’ve inherited.

BxTom

Bench
I think the incoming coach could be mindful not to change things too quickly. It depends on a range of factors, but I feel some of the player turnover is all about the coach buying themselves time. If you’re a truly good coach you should be able mostly work with the squad you’ve inherited.
If there is a discipline problem at a club you would think that management would select a coach that could address that problem and would give said coach appropriate instructions and support.

But we select coaches on who's our mate instead.

Abacus

Juniors

Coaches get judged on results - leave it too long to change things and you're out of a job. Or you get stuck in a halfway house which becomes the norm. From previous leadership roles, my experience is you set your standard from the start. Going slowly just leads to mixed messages and a confused/directionless team.

Like I said, the irony is that the agitators were moved on by Ivan.

John Hamblin

Juniors
Coaches get judged on results - leave it too long to change things and you're out of a job. Or you get stuck in a halfway house which becomes the norm. From previous leadership roles, my experience is you set your standard from the start. Going slowly just leads to mixed messages and a confused/directionless team.

Agree but the humble attitude of To'o and Leinu etc is VERY refreshing!!!

luv my panfas

Juniors
If there is a discipline problem at a club you would think that management would select a coach that could address that problem and would give said coach appropriate instructions and support.

But we select coaches on who's our mate instead.
I dont confess to being an expert We all have different views on things Personally to judge ivan cleary on his first year in charge to harshly is unfair He came here with all good intention but was confronted with a major drama with the may issue The press still on his back after the tigers exit gillards personal issues disharmony among the ranks To suggest he should have been able to get the team up in his first year after all the shit that he inherited is a little unfair As a fan i am looking forward to an uninterupted pre season and a much better start He loves the area and i am happy to give him a fair go next year

Pomoz

Bench

This. I am not an Ivan fan, purely based on his results, but he has done the right thing by making the changes quickly and making it clear what is expected. Cultural change doesn't happen overnight, but it certainly doesn't happen if you don't make it clear from day one what is expected of the team.

In my experience, it becomes immediately clear this who will embrace the change and those who will never change. Time does not move those people, they just cause unrest and disaffection amongst the group because typically, they whinge and complain and try and turn the others against the new leader.

Pomoz

Bench
I should add that we shouldn't confuse changing the playing style with changing behaviour. Setting the standards of behaviour expected by the team is non-negotiable and it needs to be established early. Changing the playing style and tactics can be introduced more slowly so players get used to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.