What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Why don't established First Graders want to play for Tigers?

stryker

First Grade
Can’t believe “fans” campaigning for the team to move 4,000 kms away to Perth...

Crazy...
Why does that make them less fans than you?
The truth is that those lucky enough to live where they can see the team play live most weekends just do not turn up in great enough numbers to sustain a presence in Sydney.
Sydney in general can not sustain rugby league as it used to.

Perth has money.
Perth has a great stadium.
Perth has a city to get behind the team.
A relocation to Perth would attract good players ready to make their mark looking for a change of scenary.
We would have the blessing of the NRL and possible financial assistance to relocate.
We could leverage the move which would include a huge media presence into increased tv exposure bringing aboard more sponsors to help sign the big names.
Implemented and ran correctly, we could emulate the move made by Melbourne.
Its a chance to reset, rebrand and re-energise the club.

Or we could stay as we are, battling to avoid the spoon every year, never attracting big names, never playing finals, just merely existing for a few thousand rusted ons who forget that this is a professional football club with a massive following outside Sydney.

BuffaloRules

Coach
Why does that make them less fans than you?
The truth is that those lucky enough to live where they can see the team play live most weekends just do not turn up in great enough numbers to sustain a presence in Sydney.
Sydney in general can not sustain rugby league as it used to.

Perth has money.
Perth has a great stadium.
Perth has a city to get behind the team.
A relocation to Perth would attract good players ready to make their mark looking for a change of scenary.
We would have the blessing of the NRL and possible financial assistance to relocate.
We could leverage the move which would include a huge media presence into increased tv exposure bringing aboard more sponsors to help sign the big names.
Implemented and ran correctly, we could emulate the move made by Melbourne.
Its a chance to reset, rebrand and re-energise the club.

Or we could stay as we are, battling to avoid the spoon every year, never attracting big names, never playing finals, just merely existing for a few thousand rusted ons who forget that this is a professional football club with a massive following outside Sydney.

A move to Perth in itself is not going to turn them into winners or attract more players to play for them.. this is total speculation on your part..

It’s a moot point anyway, as V’Landys has come our in the news today and ruled out a team in Perth..

The Tigers are one of the most popular Sydney teams in terms of crowds and TV ratings even for all their years of failures on the field...

If they ever get their act together in this area , they have a hell of a lot more potential in Sydney then most other teams and in my opinion which is worth exactly the same as yours, they have a much higher ceiling here than interstate..

simmo05

Bench
A move to Perth in itself is not going to turn them into winners or attract more players to play for them.. this is total speculation on your part..

It’s a moot point anyway, as V’Landys has come our in the news today and ruled out a team in Perth..

The Tigers are one of the most popular Sydney teams in terms of crowds and TV ratings even for all their years of failures on the field...

If they ever get their act together in this area , they have a hell of a lot more potential in Sydney then most other teams and in my opinion which is worth exactly the same as yours, they have a much higher ceiling here than interstate..
We could be the man u of the nrl

The unknown

Juniors
Whilst I would sort of been on the fence about a move to Perth I see what Stryker is saying. Perth is literally a goldmine in terms of sponsorships, cooperates and the novelty of a Perth team in general would probably generate 40k+ members in the first year alone. Plus you get your own time slot and a sexy ass stadium

There is also the downside of it failing (and obviously being a tigers supporter we have a history of doing that) and we could end up being a Titans v2.

I don't think our situation in Sydney is too bad tbh, but our management needs to make a permanent home(s) split between CSS and the new ANZ when it's fully refurbished sounds ideal with the odd game at LO.

But at the end of the day, a bit of success on field will see us flourish. I've no doubt we have the 2nd biggest fan base in Sydney just behind Parra (Just see 2010, 11 and 05 for proof)

stryker

First Grade
Staying in Sydney and putting faith in high school stars is not working and never will.
Established stars dont seriously consider the club and those mid teir guys who do sign are payed huge overs...it is embarrassing. How much did we offer the kid from Parra? Fkn ridiculous money.

A fresh start may not work but its better than continuing the same BS year after year after year after...we let muthafckers walk in the door, cause chaos then leave unpunished, we let w@nkers break contracts all over the place. Id love to see us shake the good guys tag and make players sit out seasons or play reggies until they meet their obligations. We did it to a life member but not some nancy from Bondi Junction? What about the lying coach who hung half a dozen albatrosses around our neck then fled? He should have been made scrub the sh!thouses at Cambo for the next couple of years and hold tackling bags for Flegg. Instead he makes even more green whilst we are left to deal with his broken and severely out of form purchases.

We re-sign those who dont deserve it as well...why the f**k is Jacob Liddle still on our books? Cant tackle, cant pass, cant kick, no game management and always injured...but he can scoot...fkn Idiots. Benji is our premiere game manager next year LMFAO. The guy was born to be an attacking weapon. I could go on and on.

Reset and start over. If not Perth then somewhere else.

WA Tiger

Bench
I might be wrong but I thought most of u watched the game on TV...I’m sure some of u do go to the game....Our 60k capacity stadium should have been 80...I’ve heard money over here is ready to be spent now! At least we’d have a monstrous stadium and prob the best training facility ..Somethingto be proud of..There would be heaps of away games..in sydney

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Whilst I would sort of been on the fence about a move to Perth I see what Stryker is saying. Perth is literally a goldmine in terms of sponsorships, cooperates and the novelty of a Perth team in general would probably generate 40k+ members in the first year alone. Plus you get your own time slot and a sexy ass stadium

There is also the downside of it failing (and obviously being a tigers supporter we have a history of doing that) and we could end up being a Titans v2.

I don't think our situation in Sydney is too bad tbh, but our management needs to make a permanent home(s) split between CSS and the new ANZ when it's fully refurbished sounds ideal with the odd game at LO.

But at the end of the day, a bit of success on field will see us flourish. I've no doubt we have the 2nd biggest fan base in Sydney just behind Parra (Just see 2010, 11 and 05 for proof)
Its all been tried and failed before, and as you say, it's a novelty for a season or two & I'd think no top tier players would even try going to an obscure region.
Why contemplate this, we are not travelling to bad where we are, with a large area base, but once we get some success, all this thinking will go away.
It will never happen, but the team that should go is Easts, they don't really have anything going for them except Politis and his money.

stryker

First Grade
Its all been tried and failed before, and as you say, it's a novelty for a season or two & I'd think no top tier players would even try going to an obscure region.
Why contemplate this, we are not travelling to bad where we are, with a large area base, but once we get some success, all this thinking will go away.
It will never happen, but the team that should go is Easts, they don't really have anything going for them except Politis and his money.
...and their kickass squad, and their winning culture, and their amazing coaching staff, and their back to back premiereships, and their attractiveness to the games elite, and their marketability etc etc etc...

Tigerm

First Grade
...and their kickass squad, and their winning culture, and their amazing coaching staff, and their back to back premiereships, and their attractiveness to the games elite, and their marketability etc etc etc...
Yes, I didn't explain that well, I meant there area base and junior league.
But your points are valid so maybe they could replicate there current success anywhere in Australia, be interesting to see what players would go with them.
But none of it will happen, no one will be moving over there.

WA Tiger

Bench
Yes, I didn't explain that well, I meant there area base and junior league.
But your points are valid so maybe they could replicate there current success anywhere in Australia, be interesting to see what players would go with them.
But none of it will happen, no one will be moving over there.
You are right it prob won’t happen Peter V in the West Australian this morning said no we are not going to Perth because there’s not a big enough audience over here and a second Brisbane is the way to go ..is that a popularity strategy and a taking the easy option ? he said there’s no point in going somewhere where there is a “rusted on” AFL following .. our premier said that we are a sports mad state and there would be the numbers...I’m not particularly fussed either way I’m a tv watching rugby league guy anyway ..but I see a situation like Brisbane and the warriors a one team town with a mad following...The fact is the overall number of people supporting AFL is increasing and league decreasing...it’s no coincidence the AFL have a fearless strategy of going where the competition is most fierce and taking over a bit at a time...Peter L’s attitude is defensive defeatist and small minded thinking...playing it safe ...looking after his tenure like all politicians instead of the good and indeed survival of rugby league...Also having a national game can only increase the $$ we get for broadcasting rights..It will take pioneering and fearless thinking like I’m seeing on these posts ....at the top of our game, in order to, in the long term save it..

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
No one has said they wont go in the future, but as I said earlier, it has been tried by both RL & RU and both have failed. Players just don't seem to want to go over there for various reasons I suppose.
They play aerial ping pong over there and it is hard to shake.
As for your comment re: AFL, I agree, they infiltrate areas much better than us.

WA Tiger

Bench
Union we had the game taken from us from the Rugby Union HQ because they were instructed to remove a team from the competition...We now have a vacuum where fans are being starved of a team to follow..their own team..It’s the perfect time.. shit that was 20 years ago with the western reds ...We just got direct flights to Japan London it’s a different place now we got voted as the most livable whatever that means - city in the world ...weather that’s true or not it doesn’t matter..and our stadium was voted the “most beautiful” stadium in the world...

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
And there’s money over here like u don’t want to fk with.. ...and the Govt are just desperate for the increased tourism dollar and will throw money at it ...they have seen what a full stadium does for the hospitality industry .etc

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
In the article McGowan said the govt would lessen its current significant support for the game if we dont get a team here..

Tigerm

First Grade
In the article McGowan said the govt would lessen its current significant support for the game if we dont get a team here..
You sound like you have a bias, to this issue:D:D:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:cool:

BTW, what time is there now?

WA Tiger

Bench
You sound like you have a bias, to this issue:D:D:D

Sorry, I couldn't resist.:cool:

BTW, what time is there now?
0817...I don’t think so I’m here I suppose so I’m taking note of what the vibe is here...I’d hate to see AFL dominate any more than they already are ...Perth always gets the shove if there’s a choice to be made ...we will be fine we have a Goliath of an iron ore industry and other metals nickel gold etc oil, gas and a burgeoning space industry also Submarines / Ship building respected world wide...the rare earth minerals for computer chips we have in abundance that USA want to buy off us instead of China, when we start digging - we have a nuclear power industry ready to turn on if need be. We will be fine,I just don’t like dumb decisions...

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
How many dumb decisions have been made by Fed or state Govt or local councils over the last 10 years that have affected you - by something going ahead or not going ahead - simply because u know they are bad decisions .....Roe 8, No Pill testing ...I’ve seen too many

Last edited:

Perth Tiger

Bench
How many dumb decisions have been made by Fed or state Govt or local councils over the last 10 years that have affected you - by something going ahead or not going ahead - simply because u know they are bad decisions .....Roe 8, No Pill testing ...I’ve seen too many

If anyone here except for me knows what Roe 8 is I would be impressed :) You should know Perth doesn't exist for east coasters (and rightly so as an ex east coaster)

WA Tiger

Bench
Ok so sounds like that’s what happens when people go there ...but a million alcoholics doesn’t make alcoholism a good idea..Just need to see this guy be outvoted one day..

Last edited: