What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

West Coast Pirates Bid News

Perth Red

Post Whore
The statement was utter stupidity even he does feel that way. Do these people realise it is possible to be positive about something (Brisbane 2) without talking down other options and really the game in general. He's basically admitted he thinks the NRL can't get a foothold in "AFL Heartlands". Ridiculous.

Doesn't bode well for his leadership of the game does it? I thought he was supposed to be some sort of smart operator? Would you want to invest in the game in Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide after his comments?

jim_57

Staff member
Doesn't bode well for his leadership of the game does it? I thought he was supposed to be some sort of smart operator? Would you want to invest in the game in Melbourne, Perth or Adelaide after his comments?

I couldn't imagine it coming from any other sport's Chairman (or whatever his title is).

Dragonwest

Juniors
Not really, its the same attitude, lack of vision and no balls we have seen since 2010 when the expansion debate began.

The build up of matches being played had started to mirror the late 80's and early 90's in Perth. I was starting to believe the momentum for a 9th game and a new Brisbane/Perth teams

taipan

Referee
He is one dumb voice, based on those comments on the board.If the board gets people like Quayle on the board ,as being suggested,I wouldn't put his comments down as a lay down.
It's plain idiotic to just say out loud it's too hard, you may as well bend over and say whose next?
17 teams is crazy for a start.If you have the money for 17 including a team that brings in big ratings such as B2,then Perth would be an added bonus.
I applauded him for saying no relocations, but this latest spiel is dumb from a sport leader.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There are many arguments against expansion.

Diluting the talent pool. Grassroots needs the money before propping up an out of town team. I don’t necessarily agree with them, but I certainly understand them. But Perth being to far? What a joke.

So Peter V’landys thinks five hours on a plane is too much and so he wants to concentrate on Brisbane. Putting Brisbane 2 aside for a second and concentrating on Perth, we only need to look to other codes to see this five-hour trip isn’t necessarily a hindrance.

It hasn’t stopped West Coast from being successful. And if it is difficult for teams travelling to Perth, then logically it would be equally difficult for Perth travelling to other teams. The advantages and disadvantages should balance out giving a fair and equitable competition.

Well at least as fair as a competition can be when you play some teams once and others twice and disrupt your comp with rep games in the middle of the season.

Additionally, in order to grow the game, we need to expand to new areas. That is what expansion is. Nothing against a Brisbane 2 bid (I somewhat agree it’s needed) but you cannot expand into a current area. You can increase your presence there but you can not expand there.

The five hours on a plane away is exactly why we need to go to Perth. The time zone difference allows a new television time slot which means more money for the NRL. They have the fourth largest population in Australia. Which means potential new fans, which means more money for the NRL.

They have the stadiums, they have a healthy local competition, they have an interest in rugby league. It needs to be done.

Okay, there are the costs of travel. But other national competitions run on far less money and have a Perth franchise. Are you telling me NRL clubs can’t achieve what A-League, NBL or Super Netball or hell, even reserve grade netball (ANL) clubs can achieve?

So assuming you can get aboard with all above, we will now address the problem I’m sure a lot of you will raise. What about New Zealand versus Perth? What about all the travel they will have to do to play each other?

Looking past the fact that the Warriors have already been forced to play games in Perth in the past just because a Sydney team has chosen to take a home game there, it turns out an easy solution exists already.

Brisbane already hosts a magic round. So Perth versus New Zealand can be played in the magic round to minimise the travel and time zone difference for either team. They don’t need to play a second time because as mentioned earlier, not every team plays each other twice.

Perth is currently the only viable location for true expansion. Sure there may be challenges, but there are also fairly simple solutions to these challenges if we just take the time to think it through. I welcome negativity around the introduction of a team in Perth.

The more the better. This only gives additional considerations to plan and prepare for and in turn actually strengthen the Perth bid. So, why wouldn’t a Perth team work?

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/12/08/peter-vlandys-problems-are-an-easy-fix/

Walter sobchak

First Grade
Clutching at straws here because I don’t want to see the RL expansion development in Perth pissed away but couldn’t the people behind Perth push towards inclusion in the super league/world league conference?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Clutching at straws here because I don’t want to see the RL expansion development in Perth pissed away but couldn’t the people behind Perth push towards inclusion in the super league/world league conference?

logistics and lack of revenue potential would be the barriers. Unless we had a batsht crazy billionaire like twiggy bank rolling it for the lols I can’t see how it would feasible or viable sadly.

Walter sobchak

First Grade
logistics and lack of revenue potential would be the barriers. Unless we had a batsht crazy billionaire like twiggy bank rolling it for the lols I can’t see how it would feasible or viable sadly.
Yeah, you said it. Sadly.

What’s bets the NRL will try expanding to Perth in say 10-15 years time when all the momentum has been lost??

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
The statement was utter stupidity even he does feel that way. Do these people realise it is possible to be positive about something (Brisbane 2) without talking down other options and really the game in general. He's basically admitted he thinks the NRL can't get a foothold in "AFL Heartlands". Ridiculous.

What is worse about his statement is that the evidence points to the contrary. The Storm are second, sometimes third in the league when it comes to average attendances, memberships and average TV ratings.

tri_colours

Juniors
What is worse about his statement is that the evidence points to the contrary. The Storm are second, sometimes third in the league when it comes to average attendances, memberships and average TV ratings.
The Storm is also 20 years on from the time when they were shown after midnight, because nobody wanted to watch them.
Who's going to put in the $100m to prop Perth up over that time? Because the AFL have indicated they cant afford too. Is it worth possibly sending this game broke Just to appease the 20 thousand league viewers in Perth?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Storm is also 20 years on from the time when they were shown after midnight, because nobody wanted to watch them.
Who's going to put in the $100m to prop Perth up over that time? Because the AFL have indicated they cant afford too. Is it worth possibly sending this game broke Just to appease the 20 thousand league viewers in Perth?

maybe the millionaires interested in owning the club?mor maybe the $13mill grant now means clubs are in a very different position than they were ten or twenty years ago, or maybe perth won’t have one of the biggest expenditures in the nrl and therefore won’t need that much, or maybe they won’t spend 5 years with sub 11k crowds, or maybe not having to play half their first twenty years in a sht stadium will be the difference?
Your making a very big assumption they will need propping up by $100mill lol.

as for tv audience, WA actually has by far the most potential. nz isnt even on fta, Brisbane and regional nsw is already at saturation for tv viewers.only perth offers a significant opportunity for growth. get that 20k up to the 100k that watch origin an GF in perth and nrl will wipe the floor with afl for tv audience figures.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
maybe the millionaires interested in owning the club?mor maybe the $13mill grant now means clubs are in a very different position than they were ten or twenty years ago, or maybe perth won’t have one of the biggest expenditures in the nrl and therefore won’t need that much, or maybe they won’t spend 5 years with sub 11k crowds, or maybe not having to play half their first twenty years in a sht stadium will be the difference?
Your making a very big assumption they will need propping up by $100mill lol.

as for tv audience, WA actually has by far the most potential. nz isnt even on fta, Brisbane and regional nsw is already at saturation for tv viewers.only perth offers a significant opportunity for growth. get that 20k up to the 100k that watch origin an GF in perth and nrl will wipe the floor with afl for tv audience figures.

The Suns , GWS are still getting $10m a year on top of there grant of around $12m, So not much seems to have changed there . Even if Perth's situation is different it's not going to be significant different. Saturation is a good thing. That's the reason why the East coast is the most valuable peace of land in the country. And any money that's spent, first and forermost, needs to be spent ensuring that these regions remains saturated.
Any my assumptions I have made are based on what's going on and what's gone on. Not if, buts and maybe's. not wishful thinking!

Brisbane2 will bring in a lot of Money . They will provide the NRL with one more of its biggest games each week in the metro market - the place were ratings are most significant. The Broncos appear on FTA in about 75% of there matches , with B2 cutting into there FTA . They will bring in a lot more Fox subscribers in Brisbane also .

Hopefully will get to that point, But it all takes money.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade

Whilst I'm not privy to broadcast rights negotiations, I would be fairly confident that two new clubs, let's say Brisbane and Perth, would provide additional value in the broadcast rights deal especially when Perth brings a whole new TV slot to the table.

I'd also factor in the fact that there appears to be a fairly decent sized fan base right now in Perth. The evidence of that is the attendance of most of the NRL games held there in recent years and the appetite for the Origin match (I'll acknowledge that there were a lot of bandwagoners that came with this also) and internationals recently too.

Will Perth need to be funded beyond the standard NRL club grant? Probably

Will Perth have the ability to produce a good level of revenue from their fan base from day 1? Probably

Will Perth add value to the TV deal essentially helping fund and justify their existence? Probably

We don't know the answer to any of this for sure but it is likely that they aren't going to burn a hole in the NRL's pocket like GWS and Gold Coast have for the AFL.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Suns , GWS are still getting $10m a year on top of there grant of around $12m, So not much seems to have changed there . Even if Perth's situation is different it's not going to be significant different. Saturation is a good thing. That's the reason why the East coast is the most valuable peace of land in the country. And any money that's spent, first and forermost, needs to be spent ensuring that these regions remains saturated.
Any my assumptions I have made are based on what's going on and what's gone on. Not if, buts and maybe's. not wishful thinking!

Brisbane2 will bring in a lot of Money . They will provide the NRL with one more of its biggest games each week in the metro market - the place were ratings are most significant. The Broncos appear on FTA in about 75% of there matches , with B2 cutting into there FTA . They will bring in a lot more Fox subscribers in Brisbane also .

Hopefully will get to that point, But it all takes money.

so are st kilda and western bulldogs and they’ve been around for decades so what’s your point? Afl invests significant money in their clubs to make them successful and afl clubs operate on double the expenditure level of nrl clubs.

What makes you say it won’t be different? What evidence do you have for that hypothetical?
Let’s look at some o the advantages perth has at start up compared to Storm when they started
1. Supporters, 20k nrl crowds, 40k Dbl header, 60k Origin shows there is an established strong RL supporter base in perth
2. Jnr development - had a elite jnr development program for 5 years that has already produced more nrl first graders than Storm
3. Stadium, very tidy 21k capacity stadium with decent corporate facilities that are far superior to storms ten years at Olympic park
4. Millionaire backers - three millionaires have expressed interest in owning the club
5. Govt support, up till V’landys gobbing off we had a very supportive WA govt
6. Club grant, with a $13mill club grant clubs are far better funded than when Storm entered the comp

just a few reasons we shouldnt need anywhere need the investment Storm have had. Not to mention storm owners had mo year to throw around like confetti so decided to spend silly money on the club, not unlike Sydney clubs who have rich LC’s throwing silly money at them, it’s doubtful it actually needed to spend that much.

saturation means whatever you do you can’t get more. So a new club in nsw and QlNd is consolidation not growth.in fact we really should call it expansion as it isn’t.

no-one disputes the game needs brisbane2 for a whole host of reasons, it also needs to grow into a national game for a whole host of other reasons and needs two new teams to have extra content to sell.

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
The 9th game is worth extra money to the NRL. Whether it is viable to be across the other end of the country is the question

tri_colours

Juniors
Neither of us have given hard proof. That's because it doesn't exist. But I backed up my point with 3 teams in a very similar position, and how costly they have been. I didn't give 3 if buts and maybes like you did. As I said earlier, maybe

Perhaps they wouldn't be the same as The Suns, GWS or the Storm, in their first decade but they would be similar.

The likes of Western Bulldogs and St Kilda are AFL heartland teams in heartland areas. And both with a good followings, hundreds of thousand not tens of thousands. And It was only a few years back Bulldogs won the comp .

Last edited: