What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Clem Gould

Juniors
I don’t know what this bloke has done wrong. Except for put Uncle Nick’s nose out of joint.
1,000 likes - A 22-3 year old bloke with a year to run on his contract and is out there openly looking at other clubs and what they have to offer. Surely no more than due diligence on his part. I simply don't get the level of hate/dislike !!
Just because a clubs timeframe is limited is hardly Latrell's fault.

Spot On

Coach
Clubs have plenty to offer a player who is prepared to put effort in every week of the season and have no off field dramas.

What they aren't prepared to do is pay marquee money for a centre who doesn't show up often enough to justify half his asking price. Nor would they want the social media circus that can follow. Or weeks off from playing from time to time.

He done nothing wrong. He is simply discovering that he isn't as highly fancied by the16 NRL clubs as he or his management thought he was. People can speculate why that is, but I think it is easy to see. Both his on field performance and off field needs are clear for all to see.

Roosters were able to manage all the above beautifully. Until they pulled an 800K a season deal.

gordsy

Juniors
I'm sure telling your employer that you want them to let you play full back when they already have the best fullback in the nrl playing for them and you want them to pay you more money to do so may have upset some people.

1,000 likes - A 22-3 year old bloke with a year to run on his contract and is out there openly looking at other clubs and what they have to offer. Surely no more than due diligence on his part. I simply don't get the level of hate/dislike !!
Just because a clubs timeframe is limited is hardly Latrell's fault.

I think the level of hate/dislike is mainly aimed at Mundine and LM’s management style. He did dick around with Tigers coaching staff. Roosters for their part have merely said they need to move on. Robinson has even come out and said Latrell’s a good man.

no name

Coach
I really feel for Latrell in this situation.
The media is really having a field day with this and any tiny bit of speculation is reported as fact.
Plenty of blokes do what Latrell is doing without the papers reporting the potential deals/knock backs every single day. Even the NRL’s own media is getting in on it.
The NRL like to preach how much they do for player’s mental health and how important it is, yet they freely allow journos, including their own, give it to Latrell every day over the past how ever many weeks.

AJB1102

First Grade
Oh boohoo Latrell. Poor merkin only offered $1.6M to play footy for 2 seasons at the best club in the game. My heart truly breaks.

Spot On

Coach
Seems like Courier Mail are reporting that cowboys have pulled out

Link: https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...l/news-story/b3bce6fe1d166abd118776f6c5e2c342

Can't get passed the pay well though

Yes, they have 'pulled out' of the race to sign Mitchell but I do not think they were ever really interested. Rugby have also confirmed they have other matters on their plate to deal with.

Boxing maybe???

Lol.

Have Souths made an offer??? That would be the only club to pick him up now. Can't see him going to the Titans.

AJB1102

First Grade
Yes, they have 'pulled out' of the race to sign Mitchell but I do not think they were ever really interested. Rugby have also confirmed they have other matters on their plate to deal with.

Boxing maybe???

Lol.

Have Souths made an offer??? That would be the only club to pick him up now. Can't see him going to the Titans.

Wow. I can't remember a more spectacular failure in RL player management.

Even if there was an 'agreement' with Souths they'd have to be mental to pay what seems to be his asking price now there is no competition for him.

Tiger5150

Bench
Wow. I can't remember a more spectacular failure in RL player management.

Even if there was an 'agreement' with Souths they'd have to be mental to pay what seems to be his asking price now there is no competition for him.

Let me run a hypothetical scenario past you....

Souffs make him an offer some time ago, perhaps even prior to Nov 1..(.gasp), perhaps around the time that Souffs favourite son and Relationships Australia ambassador says "my shoulder hurts". Latrell likes the offer and says yes.

I know its a bit of a stretched theory, but what do you think the result of that scenario would be?
  • Roosters would pull offer if they caught wind of it.......tick
  • Roosters would make a strange seemingly unprovoked comment that they would release him to anyone for 2020 except for Souffs because...you know...feuds.......tick.
  • Latrell would seemingly meander around with seemingly half arsed efforts of contract negotiation without a care in the world.......tick.
  • Latrell would knock back seemingly generous offers from other clubs, even when there seems to be a lack of other options.........tick
  • Latrell and his management would poorly deal with Tigers management, Latrell was supposedly positive but then his managment just ignored Tigers.......tick.
  • Souffs would STFU.......tick
What we actually know and looking on from the outside, what is going on with Latrell makes zero sense and the media and most people jump to the obvious conclusion that Latrell and/or his management are incompetent idiots without a clue. For me it makes more sense if something like what Ive said above is the case, then things make sense.

AJB1102

First Grade
Let me run a hypothetical scenario past you....

Souffs make him an offer some time ago, perhaps even prior to Nov 1..(.gasp), perhaps around the time that Souffs favourite son and Relationships Australia ambassador says "my shoulder hurts". Latrell likes the offer and says yes.

I know its a bit of a stretched theory, but what do you think the result of that scenario would be?
  • Roosters would pull offer if they caught wind of it.......tick
  • Roosters would make a strange seemingly unprovoked comment that they would release him to anyone for 2020 except for Souffs because...you know...feuds.......tick.
  • Latrell would seemingly meander around with seemingly half arsed efforts of contract negotiation without a care in the world.......tick.
  • Latrell would knock back seemingly generous offers from other clubs, even when there seems to be a lack of other options.........tick
  • Latrell and his management would poorly deal with Tigers management, Latrell was supposedly positive but then his managment just ignored Tigers.......tick.
  • Souffs would STFU.......tick
What we actually know and looking on from the outside, what is going on with Latrell makes zero sense and the media and most people jump to the obvious conclusion that Latrell and/or his management are incompetent idiots without a clue. For me it makes more sense if something like what Ive said above is the case, then things make sense.

All pretty plausible. But if Souths had unofficially agreed to paying him $1M I'd think it good business to reconsider that given he's shit outta other options.

It's bad management IMO because he's got zero leverage and only 1 possible interested party. Sure if Souths kept true to any off the record agreement he's sweet but the risk in that is again IMO bad management.

Why pay a bloke who has obvious talent a shitload of money when he actually puts in about 1 out of every 4 games .
He goes MIA too often to be value for money .

Valheru

Coach
Well this certainly hasn't worked out anything like poor Latrell and his selfish management envisioned.

Doesn't look like he has much choice other than to play for us in 2020 now.

carcharias

Immortal
Ha
Roosters fans secretly hoping he stays

anyway
C’mon Mitch
Come to the Sharks
You won’t have to deal with millions of stinking poms and complete wankers hanging around everywhere here in the glorious shire.
You’ll be the king.

Headless Chook

Juniors
Well this certainly hasn't worked out anything like poor Latrell and his selfish management envisioned.

Doesn't look like he has much choice other than to play for us in 2020 now.
I heard an unsubstantiated rumour that after the GF win Uncle Nick told the team there was still one game to go, that being the world club challenge in Feb 2020. From reports LM said words to the effect that he wasn’t interested in playing and wouldn’t be going, thus effectively signing his own death warrant at the Chooks at that very moment.

Could be a total load of shit but nothing would surprise me if it’s true.

Latest posts