What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
$1billion is a bit of a furphy, it would only be worth anything near that if you took games away from current providers and then you would have to factor in lost revenue from removing that exclusive content.

the annual report shows an extra $7.2mill was spent on digital for an increased return of $14.7mill, a positive result*

* total revenue for digital was $23mill but they don’t state total expenditure so hard to ascertain what final profit was.

taipan

Referee
$1billion is a bit of a furphy, it would only be worth anything near that if you took games away from current providers and then you would have to factor in lost revenue from removing that exclusive content.

the annual report shows an extra $7.2mill was spent on digital for an increased return of $14.7mill, a positive result*

* total revenue for digital was $23mill but they don’t state total expenditure so hard to ascertain what final profit was.

Whatever the figure is ,and the results so far, it is a hell of a lot better than your scepticism when it was announced they were having this digital set up.750k clients early this year and expect 800kin 2022, is a fair indication of where the NRL is at.
And the flexibility for in house, if they desperately need to do so down the line.Is another plus.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When board members go rogue! He's just put millions of $'s of WA Govt funding for RL at risk. I thought he was supposed to be some sort of smart stakeholder manager? Not surprised to see such a damaging article hosted by the Telegraph. Todd had better get on the phone and suggest to our new Chair he keeps his opinions to himself until they become ARLC agreed policy!

New ARL Commission chairman Peter V’landys has revealed plans to launch a second NRL team in Brisbane to ensure the health of State of Origin and crush the rival AFL code in the key Queensland market.

In his most candid interview since succeeding Peter Beattie, V’landys has laid bare his strategic blueprint, outlining his desire for a 17-team premiership and why Brisbane – not Perth – is the next region in line to receive an NRL licence.

For the past decade, NRL bosses have dithered on expansion and failed to capitalise on the mostly pathetic performances of AFL’s Brisbane Lions and Gold Coast Suns in the south-east Queensland sector.

But now, as the Lions claw back to title credibility, V’landys – viewed as a visionary administrator not afraid to make the tough calls – will ramp up plans for a second Brisbane team to join forces with the Broncos in dominating the AFL in Queensland.

Lauded as the man who saved horse racing with his commercial nous, V’landys is primed to bring a new corporate edge to the NRL.

“I can see 17 teams in the next broadcast deal working.

“I am not going to pre-empt the ARL Commission’s decision, but having a second team in Brisbane is 100 per cent an option.

“This is only my view, but Brisbane can sustain a second team, no question.

V’landys’ views on Perth are compelling. There has been a concerted push for the NRL to revisit Perth as part of their expansionary footprint following the axing of the Western Reds after three seasons of operation between 1995-97.

Two decades on, Perth is flexing its muscle. Western Australia’s new $1 billion Optus Stadium hosted State of Origin for the first time in June and rugby league will return to Perth next year with the relaunch of the NRL Nines.

But V’landys is not convinced the NRL will take off in AFL-dominated Perth. He wants to reward generations of diehard league fans in Queensland.

“We want to dominate the market in Queensland,” he said. “Forget wasting millions in rusted-on AFL states.

“We must undertake a full analysis (of growth markets) but Perth does not have a huge league audience. Then there is the concern around flying NRL players five hours when we already hear criticism of player workloads and how taxing the season is on the stars of the game.

“I had a good chat with Ben Ikin (QRL board member and former Queensland Origin player) about this.

“He gave a presentation to me recently and he was spot on and so insightful. He was brilliant. He made it clear that we don’t need Queensland strong for the NRL only, we need Queensland strong for State of Origin.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/remote/check_cookie.html?url=https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/nrl/peter-vlandys-believes-brisbane-needs-a-second-nrl-team/news-story/1ac3e448c51f372c76d8d9787a79da76

Perth Red

Post Whore
And the WA Govt response, nice work Peter, years of building a relationship and getting WA Govt onside put at risk in one day. Great start to your chairmanship.

west.png

Perth Red

Post Whore
You must be happy with that. Given that you live to whinge, it means you've probably just had at least another 10 years for you to whinge sewed up.

Congratulations.

Not happy, not sad. Its what I expect from RL and as usual my opinion is vindicated. Thanks for caring about how I'm feeling though, I appreciate it.

adamkungl

Immortal
Old mate Florimo will be rubbing his hands together

Bears revival looking more likely than it has in a decade

beave

Coach
how does adding only one team get the game more money? You’d need 2 teams to create more content, I know this is a simplistic way of looking at it, I just don’t see how another brisbane team by itself does all that much. For him to come out and poo poo Perth is pretty disappointing.

AJB1102

First Grade
f**k me, he's listening to Ben Ikin.

“He gave a presentation to me recently and he was spot on and so insightful. He was brilliant. He made it clear that we don’t need Queensland strong for the NRL only, we need Queensland strong for State of Origin.

Origin is fine. So much focus on a 3 game series.

jim_57

Staff member
how does adding only one team get the game more money? You’d need 2 teams to create more content, I know this is a simplistic way of looking at it, I just don’t see how another brisbane team by itself does all that much. For him to come out and poo poo Perth is pretty disappointing.

Even he does prefer Brisbane 2 to come out and rubbish Perth in such a way is a joke. I can't imagine any other Chairman talking down their code by basically admitting they think they're not up to expanding to Perth but blaming Perth for it despite some great crowds in the last 10 years.

Brisbane 2 is a good option but doing it just to please people who already support the game (and current clubs) is a backwards way of going about it. We'll end up with a half arsed 'Brisbane 2' as well, something like Redcliffe averaging 10-15k at Dolphin oval and not attracting any new fans outside of Redcliffe and surrounding suburbs.

Not happy, not sad. Its what I expect from RL and as usual my opinion is vindicated. Thanks for caring about how I'm feeling though, I appreciate it.

Your opinion that the NRL needs a team in Perth is vindicated? Or your opinion that the NRL doesn't give a shit about Perth is vindicated?

Rhetorical....

adamkungl

Immortal
Even he does prefer Brisbane 2 to come out and rubbish Perth in such a way is a joke. I can't imagine any other Chairman talking down their code by basically admitting they think they're not up to expanding to Perth but blaming Perth for it despite some great crowds in the last 10 years.

Brisbane 2 is a good option but doing it just to please people who already support the game (and current clubs) is a backwards way of going about it. We'll end up with a half arsed 'Brisbane 2' as well, something like Redcliffe averaging 10-15k at Dolphin oval and not attracting any new fans outside of Redcliffe and surrounding suburbs.

In this modern landscape of kids watching NBA and EPL on their phones, and more elite competition across international sports than ever, it's clear that we need
*checks notes*
... more suburban parks!

typicalfan

Coach
I'm wondering if he is hoping for media to help come to the party, maybe to make it "worth it". If the media really wants a Perth side then make it worth our while.

I wonder how far off Perth would be really, league has been pie in the sky but no action for years on expansion. Wouldn't surprise me that in reality the NRL has been asleep at the wheel for a long time.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Saying Perth has no chance at NRL is a bold marketing choice given they are trying to sell tickets to the mickey mouse 9s comp at the moment and expect us to pay inflated prices for it!

yeh f**k that, was about to order 5 two day passes. They can get screwed, I'll take everyone to Rotto instead!

No problem at all with his call for Brisbane 2, it is much needed, though if not done right will take many years to be successful Id suggest.

But to basically admit defeat to AFL, bag Perth off despite the WA Govt having invested over $10mill in RL in last few years and get all the games stakeholders offside in WA at a time they are going to host a Nines comp and 3 NRL games in 2020 is Gerald Ratner level management batsht crazy. The fact it is just his opinion, he is totally disrespecting the NRL's expansion review going on to get his name in the paper with something controversial, and that he didnt think to consult with the CEO or Commission before coming out with this sht is very very worrying from the newly appointed Chairman of our game. Could you imagine any other sport doing this?

Last edited:

Latest posts