What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
I'm wondering if he is hoping for media to help come to the party, maybe to make it "worth it". If the media really wants a Perth side then make it worth our while.

I wonder how far off Perth would be really, league has been pie in the sky but no action for years on expansion. Wouldn't surprise me that in reality the NRL has been asleep at the wheel for a long time.

The game has been run by the media for far too long. How about making decisions for ourselves and making the media accept it, we should be in control of our own destiny. AFL didnt ask the media if they wanted two new teams.

re Perth sadly the expansion debate has gone on so long (ten years now) that most people here have pretty much given up and accept that RL is seemingly too small minded and unambitious to be truly national in Australia. There are a number of rich business people who at various times have shown interest in owning a Perth NRL side but the lack of any real NRL intent sees that interest wane. Fans? Well we know we have 20-30k willing to go to games so there is base to build from if they get the club right. Stadium is pretty much sorted. WA Govt is (or at least was) on board. Really the only thing we've lacked for last 5 years is NRL strategy and commitment to make it happen.

Todays story comes as no real surprise to those of us who have been around following NRL expansion for the last ten years.

King hit

Coach
yeh f**k that, was about to order 5 two day passes. They can get screwed, I'll take everyone to Rotto instead!

No problem at all with his call for Brisbane 2, it is much needed, though if not done right will take many years to be successful Id suggest.

But to basically admit defeat to AFL, bag Perth off despite the WA Govt having invested over $10mill in RL in last few years and get all the games stakeholders offside in WA at a time they are going to host a Nines comp and 3 NRL games in 2020 is Gerald Ratner level management batsht crazy. The fact it is just his opinion, he is totally disrespecting the NRL's expansion review going on to get his name in the paper with something controversial, and that he didnt think to consult with the CEO or Commission before coming out with this sht is very very worrying from the newly appointed Chairman of our game. Could you imagine any other sport doing this?
ARU_500.jpg

typicalfan

Coach
The game has been run by the media for far too long. How about making decisions for ourselves and making the media accept it, we should be in control of our own destiny. AFL didnt ask the media if they wanted two new teams.

re Perth sadly the expansion debate has gone on so long (ten years now) that most people here have pretty much given up and accept that RL is seemingly too small minded and unambitious to be truly national in Australia. There are a number of rich business people who at various times have shown interest in owning a Perth NRL side but the lack of any real NRL intent sees that interest wane. Fans? Well we know we have 20-30k willing to go to games so there is base to build from if they get the club right. Stadium is pretty much sorted. WA Govt is (or at least was) on board. Really the only thing we've lacked for last 5 years is NRL strategy and commitment to make it happen.

Todays story comes as no real surprise to those of us who have been around following NRL expansion for the last ten years.
The AFL expansion sides are moneypits.

Personally Brisbane 2 should have happened around when the Titans formed, Brisbane should have an NRL game every weekend. That's why I think the NRL have been paying lip service to any expansion talk since then.

Even if the infrastructure is there, if the extent of the NRL's analysis of Perth is just origins, 9s and a few club games, then really it hasn't been doing much other than a bit of tokenism imo.

The NRL needs to know how financially viable the move is, have they done any research on it?

Perth Red

Post Whore
The AFL expansion sides are moneypits.

Personally Brisbane 2 should have happened around when the Titans formed, Brisbane should have an NRL game every weekend. That's why I think the NRL have been paying lip service to any expansion talk since then.

Even if the infrastructure is there, if the extent of the NRL's analysis of Perth is just origins, 9s and a few club games, then really it hasn't been doing much other than a bit of tokenism imo.

The NRL needs to know how financially viable the move is, have they done any research on it?

They make more from the value of a ninth game than they cost (allegedly) and are part of the AFL's long term investment in being the countries national football code. Its called a vision and strategy for long term positioning, alien to RL I know.

Its not just Perth's analysis, there hasn't been any real plan for any expansion, partly due to precarious position of existing clubs for years and partly due to lack of vision. There's been no analysis of perth, brisbane or anywhere else. It is supposed to be what's happening now, which makes the timing of V'landy's comments very strange. He has an opinion that RL isnt good enough in business or popularity to expand into AFL states, that doesnt bode well for the code if the Chair has so little faith.

mongoose

Coach
They make more from the value of a ninth game than they cost (allegedly) and are part of the AFL's long term investment in being the countries national football code. Its called a vision and strategy for long term positioning, alien to RL I know.

Its not just Perth's analysis, there hasn't been any real plan for any expansion, partly due to precarious position of existing clubs for years and partly due to lack of vision. There's been no analysis of perth, brisbane or anywhere else. It is supposed to be what's happening now, which makes the timing of V'landy's comments very strange. He has an opinion that RL isnt good enough in business or popularity to expand into AFL states, that doesnt bode well for the code if the Chair has so little faith.

Sure he has faith. Faith that state of origin will continue to be a cash cow for the NRL and its major stakeholders for years to come and that is all that matters.

Cactus

Juniors
Perth Red, you sound stressed.

Maybe what this is about is that the strategic battle is being waged in the eastern states and the NRL realises that to secure RLs rightful place as the dominant code in AUS is to FIRST strangle AFL in the Eastern market.

We are already leaps and bounds ahead of our biggest competitor in developing the Pacific which the AFL are lacking in.

Then, it will be all guns blazing in other states/territories/markets on shore when we can achive expansion with confidence in markets somewhat less economically and strategically less important.

Sorry to put EASTERN in capitals mate but chin up. Maybe there is a bigger game at play.

MugaB

Coach
yeh f**k that, was about to order 5 two day passes. They can get screwed, I'll take everyone to Rotto instead!

No problem at all with his call for Brisbane 2, it is much needed, though if not done right will take many years to be successful Id suggest.

But to basically admit defeat to AFL, bag Perth off despite the WA Govt having invested over $10mill in RL in last few years and get all the games stakeholders offside in WA at a time they are going to host a Nines comp and 3 NRL games in 2020 is Gerald Ratner level management batsht crazy. The fact it is just his opinion, he is totally disrespecting the NRL's expansion review going on to get his name in the paper with something controversial, and that he didnt think to consult with the CEO or Commission before coming out with this sht is very very worrying from the newly appointed Chairman of our game. Could you imagine any other sport doing this?
U hem, racing?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth Red, you sound stressed.

Maybe what this is about is that the strategic battle is being waged in the eastern states and the NRL realises that to secure RLs rightful place as the dominant code in AUS is to FIRST strangle AFL in the Eastern market.

We are already leaps and bounds ahead of our biggest competitor in developing the Pacific which the AFL are lacking in.

Then, it will be all guns blazing in other states/territories/markets on shore when we can achive expansion with confidence in markets somewhat less economically and strategically less important.

Sorry to put EASTERN in capitals mate but chin up. Maybe there is a bigger game at play.

not really re expansion, I gave hope a few years ago. About the performance of our new chairman, absolutely. What a stupid and unnecessary thing to say when the nrl wants the WA Govt support. He could have cost the game dearly in his diatribe about the game in Perth.

MugaB

Coach
not really re expansion, I gave hope a few years ago. About the performance of our new chairman, absolutely. What a stupid and unnecessary thing to say when the nrl wants the WA Govt support. He could have cost the game dearly in his diatribe about the game in Perth.
I wouldn't worry about it red, its all spin, he did similar things a few years back, with the Everest race, started ruffling feathers, pissed off heaps of people especially in Melbourne, now few years on he has revived country racing and made racing nsw a better product, im not sure 17 teams will cut it for a new tv deal, it'll have to go to 18, whether its the perth pirates or CC or a Nz club, all depends on whats the better option after brisbane2 kicks off, they might even go to brisbane3, before going to any other states

Canard

Immortal
I wouldn't worry about it red, its all spin, he did similar things a few years back, with the Everest race, started ruffling feathers, pissed off heaps of people especially in Melbourne, now few years on he has revived country racing and made racing nsw a better product, im not sure 17 teams will cut it for a new tv deal, it'll have to go to 18, whether its the perth pirates or CC or a Nz club, all depends on whats the better option after brisbane2 kicks off, they might even go to brisbane3, before going to any other states

Hopefully he comes up a better idea then a plastic event, solely focussed on lining bookies pockets.

no name

Coach
Hopefully he comes up a better idea then a plastic event, solely focussed on lining bookies pockets.

NSW Racing has improved astronomically over the past decade.
Whether PVL’s skills can be translated to the NRL remains
to be seen, but he does have runs on the board.

MugaB

Coach
NSW Racing has improved astronomically over the past decade.
Whether PVL’s skills can be translated to the NRL remains
to be seen, but he does have runs on the board.
Im just assuming his brutal "honesty" and somewhat "his personal opinion" regarding brisbane2 over a perth club or both, is just a ploy to get tongues wagging, and keep the idea in the media, its what the NRL was doing last year too, but was more scare tactics with "relocation aswell as expansion"
Talks with Greenberg.
V'landy's has already in his first few days already flamed out all that speculation that had been stiring for over a year, about manly, cronulla and wests, getting relocated that fans and media were happy to indulge,
I'm already liking the direction this is going, unfortunately i can't see perth being in their best interest until after the next broadcast deal is finalised, until then they'll be getting SoO and one of games till, League decides to grow 1995 expansion style balls again.
If we do end up with 17 NRL sides, instead of a bye, might they consider having a "trial vs Country or lower grade matches" instead if say St.george wasn't playing on that weekend they verse Newtown Jets, or Manly vs Norths etc, so technically not a bye an extra game content, just not a week off as a bye would do

siv

First Grade
17 teams make no sense at all. We need 18 and Perth should get the other license.

17 is tactical

It could go one of 2 ways

Allow a few years and bring in the 18 club - maybe Brisbane 3 or CC Bears as promised to them by Easts

Or the death a NRL club eg Titans

adamkungl

Immortal

This is completely delusional thinking. RL is as dominant as it is ever going to get, in local market share in NSW and QLD. Any gains from here will be slim and hard fought.

1. Rugby League has had NSW and QLD effectively all to itself for 100 years. If total dominance was ever gonna happen, it would have happened.

2. Now and looking into the future, there's more competition than ever. The scales will tip away from Rugby League total dominance, no matter what, simply due to the range of high profile choices available. 30 years ago the high level sport options in Sydney were basically League or Union, and cricket in summer. Now, in the age of worldwide streaming, a young person can send their limited money towards
NRL
Cricket
AFL
A-League
EPL
NFL
NBA/NBL
NHL
MLB
Rugby Union (i guess it's possible?)

No matter what Rugby League does, the range of options will see RL slowly lose some of that dominance. The same will happen in Melbourne over time to AFL.

The biggest gains will be in new markets where the NRL can jump in as an exciting new player. The sport
needs to offset declining local market share with new markets. Perth, Adelaide, NZ, international.
A team in Perth would potentially gain +20,000 weekly fans and 200,000 tv viewers within a handful of years.
How could you increase an existing team's crowds by 20,000? You couldn't. impossible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Im just assuming his brutal "honesty" and somewhat "his personal opinion" regarding brisbane2 over a perth club or both, is just a ploy to get tongues wagging, and keep the idea in the media, its what the NRL was doing last year too, but was more scare tactics with "relocation aswell as expansion"

that’s fine but don’t bite the hand that feeds you in the process. He is clearly pandering to the populous of the game in Sydney and Brisbane with his two interviews so far but to burn perth and pss off the Very nrl friendly WA Govt in the process is plain stupidity. I’m glad we got the govt support locked in for next year before he spouted off! It’ll be a hard sell for the clubs and Todd moving forward to get WA money now.

Without having heard V'Landys comments, the issue with Perth is the transportation costs. When the NRL was formed, it was agreed that the NRL would pay team's transport costs out of their pocket. This was the reason News Ltd shut down the Western reds in the first place, the costs of flying them around and of other teams into Perth for games. It is cheaper to fly from Sydney to Auckland than it is from Sydney to Perth.

Hence they would need the additional cash from having a team in Perth to more than cover those additional costs. Maybe (and not I'm saying maybe) their projections show that, at this time, the extra revenue from adding a Perth based team won't cover the costs involved.

Someone who has runs on te board with a sport like racing knows what they're doing .
Yes the statement mite sound not so bright
But my money would be on it's just a tactical ploy in a far bigger game .
He has some very very high profile contacts in different places so I'm betting this is just one move to start something far bigger .

17 is tactical

It could go one of 2 ways

Allow a few years and bring in the 18 club - maybe Brisbane 3 or CC Bears as promised to them by Easts

Or the death a NRL club eg Titans
I'd say 18
Ch 9 please no not again ..if they are negotiating to get th rights .
Will say ..a 17th Team from BRIS will marginally help the rights ...but doesn't give us a 9th game & possibly 4 (Sat night) for us to broadcast.

..NRL...So cough up extra $$ & we admit Perth as well to get te 18 teams .
You get your Sat night game .win win

Latest posts