What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

super_coach

First Grade
The media are going to link us to basically any player that is rumoured to be looking for a new home.
Our forwards look okay except for the no9 but our backline still needs a strike player. Moylan is better than what we have at no1 but he certainly is not worth twice the coin and that is what we would have to pay.

I would sit back and see what falls into the market place before rushing in and signing a player like Moylan, but my concern is, from the board down to the coach know they have to deliver a top 8 finish in 2020 and they know with our present roster that is going to be a hard ask. So a bloke like Moylan could be a panic buy

Tigerm

First Grade
It just sounds that way doesn't it. He is 22. He probably comes from a poor Indigenous background where he is reasonably happy.

He is now probably in a whole bunch of situations he doesn't like at all and despite the fame and money he is probably unhappy.

I reckon give the guy a break and let him figure out what he wants to do.
Except he is a professional sportsman and I think while sport clubs will bend for you a bit (we were talking $1m/season) at the end of he day he does have to play the game.

I mean if he feels he can't handle it, then he should take a year or so off to see what he really wants to do, maybe professional fisherman or something, you still gotta eat:D

The media are going to link us to basically any player that is rumoured to be looking for a new home.
Our forwards look okay except for the no9 but our backline still needs a strike player. Moylan is better than what we have at no1 but he certainly is not worth twice the coin and that is what we would have to pay.

I would sit back and see what falls into the market place before rushing in and signing a player like Moylan, but my concern is, from the board down to the coach know they have to deliver a top 8 finish in 2020 and they know with our present roster that is going to be a hard ask. So a bloke like Moylan could be a panic buy

But a good buy. Madge will repair the damage done. He builds players. Look at our pack.

It just sounds that way doesn't it. He is 22. He probably comes from a poor Indigenous background where he is reasonably happy.

He is now probably in a whole bunch of situations he doesn't like at all and despite the fame and money he is probably unhappy.

I reckon give the guy a break and let him figure out what he wants to do.

His family have property, so I doubt he is poor.

But he is young and maybe is more easily influenced by fools.

Anyhow imho the Latrell experiment is over.

He disrespected us and has to pay the price.

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Telegraph still throwing out the burly

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/eb6030b3f35d4ea03a9cbca4f028752d

Wests Tigers boss open to reigniting talks with Mitchell
It was on. Then it was off. But now it seems Wests Tigers remain in the game for Latrell Mitchell after the Leichhardt club admitted they are waiting for a call from the want-away Rooster.

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
December 3, 2019 6:23am

Wests Tigers withdrew their rich offer for Latrell Mitchell last week but club chairman Lee Hagipantelis has now declared: “Never say never.”

While Wests Tigers won’t reopen negotiations, Hagipantelis said they would be prepared to talk if Mitchell approached them.

The Tigers have the money and salary cap space to sign Mitchell from next season but have moved on from the Kangaroos star … for now.

“(Wests Tigers CEO) Justin Pascoe said the other day that the offer has been formally withdrawn and the club has moved on,” Hagipantelis said.

“But it would be remiss of any club not to entertain discussions if we were approached by Latrell. If he came to us, we would have to listen to what he had to say.

“It would be silly to say that door is permanently closed. I don’t think anyone would say the door has been nailed shut. We wouldn’t shut ourselves off to any opportunities.

“If Latrell came to us and said he would like to chat, we would chat. As I say, never say never. Latrell’s destiny is in his hands entirely.”

Gold Coast remain committed to signing Mitchell, while Wests Tigers and North Queensland are carefully monitoring any developments. Rugby Australia won’t be offering him a contract.

Mitchell is still signed with Sydney Roosters for next season but is highly unlikely to be at Bondi next season.

“The difficulty is this is a very active player market at the moment and other opportunities are presenting themselves,” Hagipantelis said.

“If an opportunity presents itself, and the Tigers believe it’s in the best interests of the club, then we will take that opportunity.

“Contract negotiations are a delicate thing but people need certainty.

“I’m not imposing any time limits or deadlines but we are actively in the market again and considering our options.

“There were negotiations (with Mitchell), there were discussions. They have ended and now we’re looking at other possibilities.”

Hagipantelis said Mitchell needed to escape the pressure and scrutiny to reach his final decision.

“I think the kid just needs a bit of space and a bit of time,” he said. “He needs as much certainty as the club does.

“He may or may not have other options available to him. But he will take his time, consider his options and decide what is best for him and his family. I have to respect him for that.”

North Queensland haven’t lodged an offer for Mitchell but, like Wests Tigers, their interest would be rekindled if he was genuine about a move to Townsville.

Mitchell had been promised a three-year, $3 million deal with Wests Tigers which included a guarantee to play at fullback.

Shredder

Juniors
I might be wrong, but in starting to get the impression that Mr H (no chance of spelling it) isnt involved in recruitment at all.

Everything that Pascoe and Madge says is pretty much in sync, then Mr H says something else.

I suspect as Chair his job is to simply sign off on players, not source them.

gordsy

Juniors
What does Moylan give us that we don't have apart from maybe an over priced utility player and we don't need or want that. As for Madge could work wonders or change this guy or that crap, I call bullshit, even Bellamy has a list of players that flopped under him, so to just have blind faith that our coach is super human and can do anything with any player is rubbish. Look at Matterson, Packer and others,

Hoofhearted

Juniors
So this is what should happen when a potential new club asks for a meeting!!

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...r/news-story/c0497b883329d87a7f5d310e2649caa1

Steak lunch convinced Ricky Stuart that Curtis Scott was ready to become a Raider
Ricky Stuart knew Curtis Scott had the talent to join his club, but his intentions were questioned before locking in his signature. That all changed after the Storm centre sat down with his future coach in the nation’s capital.

Dean Ritchie, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
December 3, 2019 5:31pm

After chewing the fat over a good old-fashioned Aussie beer and steak, Raiders coach Ricky Stuart knew Curtis Scott was the right fit for Canberra.

In a bid to sign the Storm centre, Stuart flew Scott and his father Craig to Canberra to inspect the club’s new $19 million Centre of Excellence in Braddon, which will open early next year.

They also had lunch at a public restaurant/bar in Manuka, where Scott’s desire to embrace the Raiders’ culture became clear.

Joining them for the meal were careers, welfare and education manager David Thom, wellbeing officer Andrew Bishop, recruitment manager and high-performance director Peter Mulholland and football manager Matt Ford.

On Tuesday Scott spent his first day as a Raider to ready himself for a bumper season.

“We really wanted to have a good conversation to see how enthusiastic Curtis was and we wanted to explain to him and his father what we are about at the Raiders,’’ Stuart said.

“I could see by Curtis and his father finding the time to come to Canberra to spend some time with us over lunch that they were definitely interested.

“Curtis is a young man and with correct choices and the right guidance, I believe he can have a very good career, a bright future.”

Scott, once touted as a possible NSW centre, will need to fight hard to win a place in Canberra’s grand final line-up.

Jarrod Croker and Joey Leilua are the established centres, although there is a wing spot up for grabs now that Jordan Rapana has departed.

“I will be putting my hand up this coming year and staying fit and be pushing for a jersey,” Scott said. “That has always been one of my goals. I’ve got to try and focus on staying on the field.

“I don’t want to pump up my tyres or anything like that. I can go as far as I want but I’ve just got to stay fit and keep working hard. The harder you work, the luckier you get.

“It’s something I will work towards but first things first, I will get settled into Canberra and train hard in the pre-season.

“If I’m fit, training well and playing well, I believe I can push for a spot.

“I have come here with a positive attitude to work hard and try and make this team a little bit better. I’m happy to play anywhere. I will see how things pan out.”

Asked about Stuart, Scott said: “I have only met him a couple of times but each time we’ve had a chat we have discussed how he goes about his business.

“That’s how I have been bought up and it’s been drilled into me ever since I was a kid. He is old school and is all about working hard. That’s it.

“There’s a bit going on. This is my first day now, I’m meeting everyone. I’m just trying to remember everyone’s names. It’s pretty full-on.

“I haven’t really met anyone but I’d say everyone would be keen. The way they went out last year was disappointing.

“Me being at Melbourne, I was still feeling for their side. I’m sure they will come back hungrier and ready to go.”

Latest posts