What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
Yep a centre who can beat one defender and put Naden away would be great for the left side. On those set Kikau plays use him as a decoy more often and we will get overlaps outside him for sure.

our attack inside the 20 was. Prop. Prop. Lock. 2nd rower. 2nd rower. Grubber. Then 6 again and repeat.

Fix that. Let a few guys develop like a 5/8th. Then re-assess and use the cap space for 2021 to chase what we need

franklin2323

Immortal
Just because he thinks he’s worth something doesn’t mean we have to offer it. He’s likely on a very minimal deal, 350k might snag him.

Plus I also doubt Ramien is on $500k. More than likely that media figure is inflated.

Given his best mate is at Roosters where now has a centre spot. I think the plan is to go there so will price himself out of other clubs reach

OldPanther

Coach
our attack inside the 20 was. Prop. Prop. Lock. 2nd rower. 2nd rower. Grubber. Then 6 again and repeat.

Fix that. Let a few guys develop like a 5/8th. Then re-assess and use the cap space for 2021 to chase what we need

They hit Dylan Edwards a fair bit but he often ran out of space with no one running good lines to draw defenders.

betcats

Referee

I’m not against doing as you say but at the same time a talent like Xerri is worth sounding out if there’s a chance. Make him a smart offer, don’t throw ridiculous coin at him or anything.

franklin2323

Immortal
I’m not against doing as you say but at the same time a talent like Xerri is worth sounding out if there’s a chance. Make him a smart offer, don’t throw ridiculous coin at him or anything.

Then what if next year it turns out fullback is the problem position? Unless the player is a proven class player like Addo-Carr or someone then I’d rather see how the team evolves. Rather then go after a guy that may turn into a 1 season wonder

franklin2323

Immortal
They hit Dylan Edwards a fair bit but he often ran out of space with no one running good lines to draw defenders.

which is where I think the issue is. I can’t see us being a premiership threat with a non ball playing fullback. On the other hand plenty of teams have average centres and go well

franklin2323

Immortal
Addo Carr on the wing outside of Naden would never see the ball and wouldn't be getting value for money from him.

We would still be flawed at centre and not getting the best out of our marquee signing. Would be an improvement on what we have. But nowhere near enough.

A winger can roam more. Can’t have defence running at them all day to tire them out. Can kick for them some games centres are just defenders these days

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
which is where I think the issue is. I can’t see us being a premiership threat with a non ball playing fullback. On the other hand plenty of teams have average centres and go well

Interesting thoughts Franklin. I think that Edwards will continue to evolve and improve. I can see a great 2020 for him, (baring injury) especially now with api at the base of the scrum.

mxlegend99

Referee
[
A winger can roam more. Can’t have defence running at them all day to tire them out. Can kick for them some games centres are just defenders these days
So a centre that misses 30% of his tackles is probably not an ideal centre?

Centres need to get their eingers the ball. JAC isn't going to score 20ish tries on the wing outside a centre that can't set him up.

Everything Naden did right was what you want from a good winger. Including kick chase. Which makes sense considering the majority of his lower grade career was spent as a winger/fullback.

I think he could be an outstanding winger. Even moreso if we can put him outside a quality centre.

Realistically we arent getting Xerri or JAC. But for my money we improve two positions greatly by adding Xerri and only one with JAC... and more importantly he would be wasted without a playerwho csn put him away.

Dave's mate

Juniors
The way you throw out blanket statements like this is a bit silly. Yes we know Ivan isn't great but teams don't have to always copy each other. Its the main reason I was probably the only one on here who wanted Des to replace Griffin

Dave's mate

Juniors
Thanks for the advice. I think I'll do that.

Gosh if I got upset everytime I was wrong, I'd be a miserable old bag lady. Maybe with Tetevano the board wouldn't sign off on it, concerned about bad publicity, or maybe waiting for him to return from overseas.

Ah well I was easy, didn't really mind one way or the other.
More likey he has signed and the first we'll see him is at training. The club is ran by self serving cowards after all

franklin2323

Immortal
[

So a centre that misses 30% of his tackles is probably not an ideal centre?

Centres need to get their eingers the ball. JAC isn't going to score 20ish tries on the wing outside a centre that can't set him up.

Everything Naden did right was what you want from a good winger. Including kick chase. Which makes sense considering the majority of his lower grade career was spent as a winger/fullback.

I think he could be an outstanding winger. Even moreso if we can put him outside a quality centre.

Realistically we arent getting Xerri or JAC. But for my money we improve two positions greatly by adding Xerri and only one with JAC... and more importantly he would be wasted without a playerwho csn put him away.

Who misses 30% of their tackles? Naden missed 22%. Xerri missed 20%.

Sharks as a team missed 100 less tackles then us. And let in less tries so he was in a better defensive setup no guarantee he doesn’t match Naden or worse if playing elsewhere. I wouldn’t even have Naden centre but it was the biggest sample size there was

JAC you know he will be in position and catch the ball and very few will catch him if he gets into open space. Leaving for the right reasons other than money.

Could even try him at FB the speed around the ruck might work

franklin2323

Immortal
The way you throw out blanket statements like this is a bit silly. Yes we know Ivan isn't great but teams don't have to always copy each other. Its the main reason I was probably the only one on here who wanted Des to replace Griffin

What team has good centres? Moreso what team has good centres that want to be centres? There is a reason the money is in other positions. The best weapon you have is fatigue so every coach will use it.

franklin2323

Immortal
Roosters had 2 gun centres and won the comp

and 1 now wants to be a FB to the highest bidder so will have a rookie and Manu is a gun agreed.

The other GF team has Croker and BJ neither I would say is star. Storm lost both their centres too

NZ, NSW, QLD, Aust all have makeshift halves in it. Probably will change when the wrestle gets taken out the game or something but for the forseeable future it will be like this.

We need a 5/8th to get used to being a FGer. More from the FB and fix defence up... then the centre is the last piece

Exsilium

First Grade
and 1 now wants to be a FB to the highest bidder so will have a rookie and Manu is a gun agreed.

The other GF team has Croker and BJ neither I would say is star. Storm lost both their centres too

NZ, NSW, QLD, Aust all have makeshift halves in it. Probably will change when the wrestle gets taken out the game or something but for the forseeable future it will be like this.

We need a 5/8th to get used to being a FGer. More from the FB and fix defence up... then the centre is the last piece

Croker is consistent and BJ is a game winner.

they compliment each other.

Difference between us and them is that we play like individuals, they play like a team across the park.

We could add latrell but we’re a long way from the structure and mentality of the top teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.