What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Paul Crawley , The Daily Telegraph

Subscriber only
December 3, 2019 7:16am

As South Sydney prepare to ramp up negotiations with boom young forward Jai Arrow this week, star five-eighth Cody Walker’s future at the club is also reaching a critical stage.

Stopping short of putting a deadline on the 29-year-old who has been offered a two-year extension for 2021-22, Rabbitohs’ general manager of football Shane Richardson conceded the club would like a decision “sooner rather than later”.

Souths put the extension to Walker several weeks ago but so far the negotiations have not moved forward.

5e18cbbebeb97f94fbf5292af05a3af4?width=10241024×576

Walker appears to be waiting for Souths’ offer to go up. Photo: Phil Hillyard

It is understood Walker’s management have indicated the current offer of a reported $650,000-a-season is way below what they had in mind, which was more around the $850,000-a-season mark.

“We made an offer three weeks ago and we are waiting to hear back from his manager,” Richardson said.

“We haven’t got a deadline on it yet but we’d rather know sooner rather than later.”

The ramifications could be significant in respect to the Rabbitohs’ future planning given Walker is also a contender to take over as captain.

Walker is in a three-way battle with Adam Reynolds and Test hooker Damien Cook for the top job.

df0e79facd1cadf0ab726e59877e954c?width=10241024×576

Rabbitohs coach Wayne Bennett is still shaping his 2020 side. Photo: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images

Wayne Bennett has indicated he will wait until after Christmas to make a call on the captaincy issue but it would seem logical Walker would be automatically ruled out unless he was committed to the club long term.

The decision could also impact Adam Doueihi’s future role if Walker was to leave.

While Doueihi is currently being groomed to play fullback next season, he played most of his juniors at five-eighth and could just as easily be positioned to be Reynolds’ long term halves partner.

Richardson was adamant Walker’s decision would have no bearing on whether he played out the final year of his contract in 2020.

“He is part of our team next year and we don’t want him going anywhere else,” Richardson said.

“We also want him as a part of our team the year after. We just have to wait and see.”

94944a5fad3d25d3db4830660a2e4c2d?width=10241024×576

Doueihi will also be affected by Walker’s decision. Photo: AAP Image/Joel Carrett

Meanwhile, Richardson is expected to meet with Arrow’s agent David Riolo in the coming days.

Neither Richardson or Riolo would comment about that although it’s no secret the Rabbitohs have identified Arrow as the man they want to take over from Sam Burgess.

While the Titans don’t want to lose Arrow, the Rabbitohs are desperate to get the 24-year-old and they are planning to make an offer as soon as they get the green light from the NRL in respect to how Sam Burgess’ medically forced retirement will impact their salary cap.

If the Rabbitohs get the full freight for Burgess’ $1 million contract back on their cap, that would make it almost impossible for the Gold Coast to compete with.

3f61f77f3a7bbff47d335a5dce97f034?width=10241024×576

Jai Arrow is next on the Rabbitohs’ to-do list. Photo: Adam Head

Arrow was blooded at the Brisbane Broncos under Bennett before moving to the Titans.

He has since developed into one of the game’s best young forwards with a tremendous work ethic on and off the field and a reputation that can’t be faulted.

While he doesn’t yet have Burgess’ huge profile just yet, Arrow is seen as exactly the type of player the Bunnies would like to build their future around along with the likes of Walker, Cook, Reynolds and Cameron Murray.

Like Walker, Arrow is also contracted for next year but an early release could possibly be negotiated if he was to sign with Souths and the Titans upped their interest in Latrell Mitchell.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport

CliveC

Juniors
May. Wouldn't either. When I came here a few months ago there was hardly anyone posting anything at all. So I kept posting things to get interest bumped up and hopefully entice others on other sites to pop over. Trying to give it a boost not hurt it.
And you have done a good job mate,not like some bs on another site who spend a lot of time trolling!

Rabbits20

Immortal
https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/03/blues-2020-preparation-starts-with-64-man-squad/

Well done to Cookie, Murray, Cody and Roberts on being included in the Blues December squad!

In the emerging Blues squad Knight and Campbell made it, well done to them also.

Also in the future Blues squad well done to Joseph Suaalii for making it.

A massive congrats to all 7 of our boys!

Also just look how many on that list have previously played for Souths too!

Last edited:

Rabbit57

Juniors
View attachment 34441 Congratulations to Liam Knight for being selected in the emerging blues squad. Now his name has been thrown in to the serious mix.
View attachment 34441 Congratulations to Liam Knight for being selected in the emerging blues squad. Now his name has been thrown in to the serious mix.
This is a great opportunity for Knight to develop into an elite player. Great environment for growing in skill and confidence. Souths will benefit from this

Peter Quinn

Juniors
This is a great opportunity for Knight to develop into an elite player. Great environment for growing in skill and confidence. Souths will benefit from this
Big Jack would have said, Doin good son. Keep Up ya good work and we'll see what happens. Lol. :joy::joy:

callmack1

Staff member
Interesting about Cody but I like the approach from the club. I really want Walker to stay and I think the club does too but we have to play hard ball here. If Cody had carried on his early 2019 form, I'd have no issues giving him $850k but the fact is, he is yet to produce a fully consistent, brilliant Season week in, week out so I agree he's not worth that figure. Like I say, I'd love for him to say but this is the right approach from the club.

A few Arrow rumours coming through,

Jai Arrow's next NRL move a done deal: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jai-ar...angaroos/d3f91933-375d-4a59-81f7-5e5899e7fe83

That is absolutely fantastic news if true!! I'd love that, especially if we could get him for 2020. However, I've never been convinced with the Mole so I'll take what he says with a grain of salt.

NRL Transfer Whispers - In-demand Arrow drops huge hint over future: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d4228c12a1a9d112c024993b8a76c087

It's this that also makes me question if it's a done deal with us. if it was, why would he say his preference is to stay with the Gold Coast?

Rabbit57

Juniors
I think he's (Liam Knight) the new leader of Souths forwards, have thought so for some time, so while everybody's been raving about Arrow, Fifita etc I just chuckle.
I don’t think the Arrow supporters would disagree with you. But I think most are saying that we need someone like Arrow to add to our pool of forwards. And with Sutton and two Burgess’s gone we have room for several players with leadership qualities.
Like to think you are right however. If Knight can be a standout week in and out he will certainly Souths prospects for 2020

Rabbits20

Immortal
Interesting about Cody but I like the approach from the club. I really want Walker to stay and I think the club does too but we have to play hard ball here. If Cody had carried on his early 2019 form, I'd have no issues giving him $850k but the fact is, he is yet to produce a fully consistent, brilliant Season week in, week out so I agree he's not worth that figure. Like I say, I'd love for him to say but this is the right approach from the club.

A few Arrow rumours coming through,

Jai Arrow's next NRL move a done deal: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/jai-ar...angaroos/d3f91933-375d-4a59-81f7-5e5899e7fe83

That is absolutely fantastic news if true!! I'd love that, especially if we could get him for 2020. However, I've never been convinced with the Mole so I'll take what he says with a grain of salt.

NRL Transfer Whispers - In-demand Arrow drops huge hint over future: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/d4228c12a1a9d112c024993b8a76c087

It's this that also makes me question if it's a done deal with us. if it was, why would he say his preference is to stay with the Gold Coast?
Completely agree re Cody.

Like you bro I’ll believe it when my members email comes re Arrow.

I also found it strange he said his preference is to remain up there.

Rabbits20

Immortal
Rumour around that Sam’s salary cap dispensation will be approved soon.

Let’s hope this is true guys.

I’m feeling pretty confident we will get Arrow.

I just don’t understand how some say he will replace Sam Burgess, Arrow is very good but for mine doesn’t replace the whole package that was Sam. Maybe Arrow can get close to that in future but right now Arrow is not that.

Just like talk is if we get Fifita we have replaced Sutto some have said on various sites and social media in general. I disagree as they are different styles of players, Sutto brought a real leadership to us and had ball playing as well as a kicking game where he could even get repeat sets for us even from playing second row plus of course he’s a Souths junior and lives and breathes our club. We just can’t replace Sutto, imo someone will take his jersey as I said many times but not replace him. In fact I don’t know if some realise how much we will miss Sutto, oh well for those that think he’s not much of a loss they’ll soon see in 2020 and change their tune.

Last edited:

Travitoh

First Grade
Rumour around that Sam’s salary cap dispensation will be approved soon.

Let’s hope this is true guys.

I’m feeling pretty confident we will get Arrow.

I just don’t understand how some say he will replace Sam Burgess, Arrow is very good but for mine doesn’t replace the whole package that was Sam. Maybe Arrow can get close to that in future but right now Arrow is not that.

Just like talk is if we get Fifita we have replaced Sutto some have said on various sites and social media in general. I disagree as they are different styles of players, Sutto brought a real leadership to us and had ball playing as well as a kicking game where he could even get repeat sets for us even from playing second row plus of course he’s a Souths junior and lives and breathes our club. We just can’t replace Sutto, imo someone will take his jersey as I said many times but not replace him. In fact I don’t know if some realise how much we will miss Sutto, oh well for those that think he’s not much of a loss they’ll soon see in 2020 and change their tune.

To me, Arrow will replace Sam in terms of leadership and quality work ethic. Someone else will have to step up as an enforcer in Sam's absence, probably Knight.

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Sam taking up an administrative role with the club for the next 10 years at 360k a year. Not a bad move by the club. He was a great forward in his peak and would add a lot in mentoring young players. He could help get more English players to our club as well. GI, Sutton and Sam were 3 of the biggest influencers on our club for the past decade so I think for them to have an off the field role with the club makes total sense. Good job South Sydney!

Peter Quinn

Juniors
Sam taking up an administrative role with the club for the next 10 years at 360k a year. Not a bad move by the club. He was a great forward in his peak and would add a lot in mentoring young players. He could help get more English players to our club as well. GI, Sutton and Sam were 3 of the biggest influencers on our club for the past decade so I think for them to have an off the field role with the club makes total sense. Good job South Sydney!
Make a good defence coach as well.

Travitoh

First Grade

Not sure how payment works for medical retirements but could this be a negotiation between Souths, Sam and the NRL to get him off the cap?