What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured and Confirmed signings - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

franklin2323

Immortal
We have the worst centres in the competition. That should be our #1 priority.

But sure. Lets buy a quality winger to put outside a centre who doesnt pass the ball. Rather than move that centre to the wing to get more out of him and signing a bloke who has proven himself quality at 19 years of age.

Edit
That's not to say I wouldnt take JAC. I would be stoked if we got him. But it would mean Naden is either a centre or reserve grader. I think hes too good for one but not good enough for the other.

Too soon to say where Naden sits. Same too Xerri JAC is proven though

how can you judge our centres before we know who they are and you can't say the worst until all squads are filled but Dogs and WT look worse. Knights too

franklin2323

Immortal
If we signed him there is no guarantee JAC is outside Naden. Cleary wont play him in the centres unless he improves his defence for one thing, last year we had little choice. And I cant imagine they'd let him hog the ball if we spent money to bring in an origin winger with JACs strike if they do put JAC outside Naden.

That is the thing Naden is off contract 2021. We will know by then where he sits

OldPanther

Coach
In training pics you can see Barrett talking to him with Mansour lined up outside him. So has been centre. Hopefully a few positions also

Hopefully a few positions like you said. As Panthers fans we should know by now what a few injuries can do to a season.

Coastal

Juniors
So now you want to blame the players around him for his missed tackles? He was a huge liability on his own missing his own tackles. At times the guys around him might have made it harder. But I saw many times where he was the bloke they strolled through.

Also according to Fox Sports Wade Graham was equally as bad in defence as Liam Martin... both averaging 3.4 missed tackles per game.

NRL.com stats have Martin missing 1 tackle more per game however. 3 tackles to 4 tackles per game is quiet a jump percentage wise. But you want fox sports stats and they have both players equal in missed tackles.

But looking beyond that. How about we look at the players themselves? Who has more room for growth?

Xerri is 19 while Naden is 23. Xerri is already ahead of him in most areas of centre and I believe has a far higher ceiling.

Each to his own though. I nelieve Xerri would greatly improve our centres. I believe Naden pushed to wing is a huge improvement aswelk. 2 greatly improved positions for one signing.

JAC would be an enormous upgrade on Mansour. But playing outside Naden with 0 try assists I am not confident we could get full value out of him. Ideally we sign him and Xerri. Partner them up and have the fastest left edge in the comp. If we are dreaming we miggt aswell dream big.
Totally agree with Naden's lack of defence. If his team mate on the inside made a lapse in defence you would think through the teamwork aspect, ( that franklin continuously harps on about) that Naden would put in the extra effort needed to shut down the play, he doesn't and according to franklin, that because he "didn't put a hand on the player and therefore it isn't a stat that goes again Naden" is a forgivable excuse, what a load of ….

betcats

Referee
Im pretty sure defending next to Maloney makes your job harder whoever you are. Naden wasn't even on a FG contract this time last year, there is plenty of improvement left in him. Cleary is a big defensive guy, he wont carry a weak defensive centre if thinks they cant improve it.

martielang

Bench
I still don't get how you can let go of 2 rep outside backs during the regular season, struggle to find a suitable replacement in house for the remainder of the season & then completely disregard the need for an outside back during the off-season instead choosing to spend money on positions where we're already adequately covered.

Me no understand.

mxlegend99

Referee
I still don't get how you can let go of 2 rep outside backs during the regular season, struggle to find a suitable replacement in house for the remainder of the season & then completely disregard the need for an outside back during the off-season instead choosing to spend money on positions where we're already adequately covered.

Me no understand.
I dont understand how we seem to share the same opinions on most of this stuff now.

100% agree. To top it off we already needed to add backs before we let them go with multiple injuries and age ruining 2 of our best backs. Both internationals at their peaks. Yet struggling with the fundamentals of their positions now through no fault of their own. (Wing + scoring tries, centre + tackling and setting up tries).

franklin2323

Immortal
Im pretty sure defending next to Maloney makes your job harder whoever you are. Naden wasn't even on a FG contract this time last year, there is plenty of improvement left in him. Cleary is a big defensive guy, he wont carry a weak defensive centre if thinks they cant improve it.

Throw in Mansour too. That is the point I was getting at

betcats

Referee
We tried to sign Walker and it didn't pan out so that is not completely disregarding the need at all. I think some of you are completely disregarding the complexities of managing a salary cap and just the player market in general. They went after walker, didn't get him, the fact we haven't signed another outside back doesn't mean they haven't tried, for all we know the other available backs were to expensive or not willing to come here.

Also our biggest need was a hooker which was the first thing we addressed, so there is that but lets not let the truth get in the way.

franklin2323

Immortal

Me no understand.

We lost more forwards then we have backs though. Even for depth we needed more

franklin2323

Immortal
We tried to sign Walker and it didn't pan out so that is not completely disregarding the need at all. I think some of you are completely disregarding the complexities of managing a salary cap and just the player market in general. They went after walker, didn't get him, the fact we haven't signed another outside back doesn't mean they haven't tried, for all we know the other available backs were to expensive or not willing to come here.

Also our biggest need was a hooker which was the first thing we addressed, so there is that but lets not let the truth get in the way.

we lost a whole forward pack:

RCG
Egan
Grant
Winterstein
Fuimaono
Sele

Katoa
Paua
Tui-Loso

we are actually 1 back better off compated to last years squad. Whereas we are several forwards down so of course will boost that

franklin2323

Immortal
Hopefully a few positions like you said. As Panthers fans we should know by now what a few injuries can do to a season.

That usually happens in the new year when the whole squad is training but atleast is having a pre-season as a centre it has to help

OldPanther

Coach

This^ the effort was made. I can't fault them for having a go.

I asked a mate on twitter what he knows. He said we were waiting for Tevevano to arrive back from overseas before announcing it. He said it was all but confirmed.

PS Daz sorry I didn't see your comment earlier. So that basically is our squad.

I believed it once @Panther_Daz first confirmed it. Just funny we all got yelled at and would totally get shown Tuesday even though we were civil at first and tried to simply engage in conversation with defunk.

Status
Not open for further replies.