What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Perth Red

Post Whore
Without having heard V'Landys comments, the issue with Perth is the transportation costs. When the NRL was formed, it was agreed that the NRL would pay team's transport costs out of their pocket. This was the reason News Ltd shut down the Western reds in the first place, the costs of flying them around and of other teams into Perth for games. It is cheaper to fly from Sydney to Auckland than it is from Sydney to Perth.

Hence they would need the additional cash from having a team in Perth to more than cover those additional costs. Maybe (and not I'm saying maybe) their projections show that, at this time, the extra revenue from adding a Perth based team won't cover the costs involved.

lol. our girls netball team manage it, I'm pretty sure the $1/2billion a year NRL can!

Someone who has runs on te board with a sport like racing knows what they're doing .
Yes the statement mite sound not so bright
But my money would be on it's just a tactical ploy in a far bigger game .
He has some very very high profile contacts in different places so I'm betting this is just one move to start something far bigger .

You think? Id love to know how pssing off the WA Govt and RL fans in the West is somehow going to play out well for the game. This isnt about his opinion on Brisbane2 being a priority, most agree, its burning Perth, Adelaide and Melbourne to some degree that is the problem. And the fact he is throwing out rogue comments at a time the NRL is paying for an expansion strategy plan that is supposed to give the NRL the answers it needs to plan where and when its expansion will be.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Even the A-League manages it lol

Even the union second division, ice hockey, baseball and water polo leagues manage it lol. In fact RL is the ONLY prof or semi-prof sport that does not have a team in Perth in a national comp. Pretty telling of how myopic the sport is.

Even the A-League manages it lol

Yes the A-League manages it by doing things like not offering any prize money for winning any of its competitions. They also don't have a collective bargaining agreement which guarantees a set percentage of revenue go to the p[layers like the NRL does with the RLPA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes the A-League manages it by doing things like not offering any prize money for winning any of its competitions. They also don't have a collective bargaining agreement which guarantees a set percentage of revenue go to the p[layers like the NRL does with the RLPA.

I'm not sure if you've actually done the sums but we would be talking in the region of an additional $300k ish travel and accommodation a year to have a Perth team in compared to another East coast team, and even less compared to a second NZ team. Its hardly big biscuits for the NRL with a $500mill revenue.

Quicksilver

Bench
Even the union second division, ice hockey, baseball and water polo leagues manage it lol. In fact RL is the ONLY prof or semi-prof sport that does not have a team in Perth in a national comp. Pretty telling of how myopic the sport is.

A minor city with minor sports.

super_coach

First Grade
What’s the new boss doing...Greenberg still has a job. I would have thought that would have been the first thing done on day one

MugaB

Coach
Without having heard V'Landys comments, the issue with Perth is the transportation costs. When the NRL was formed, it was agreed that the NRL would pay team's transport costs out of their pocket. This was the reason News Ltd shut down the Western reds in the first place, the costs of flying them around and of other teams into Perth for games. It is cheaper to fly from Sydney to Auckland than it is from Sydney to Perth.

Hence they would need the additional cash from having a team in Perth to more than cover those additional costs. Maybe (and not I'm saying maybe) their projections show that, at this time, the extra revenue from adding a Perth based team won't cover the costs involved.
Seriously why not just buy a private plane, and have it travel from Brisbane or Sydney to Townsville, Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand only
That would save them money in the long run

Perth Red

Post Whore
A minor city with minor sports.

At least we can drive around :)
Seriously why not just buy a private plane, and have it travel from Brisbane or Sydney to Townsville, Perth, Melbourne and New Zealand only
That would save them money in the long run

Its not really an issue, just another excuse. Like players having to fly all the way to perth once a season, or not enough player depth, or not enough money or not being able to compete with AFL, or not enough fans, or not enough sponsors. Just excuses to hide a lack of vision, plan and leadership ability to grow the game.

AFL sht game, great administrators, NRL great game, sht administrators. And so it continues.

King hit

Coach
At least we can drive around :)

Its not really an issue, just another excuse. Like players having to fly all the way to perth once a season, or not enough player depth, or not enough money or not being able to compete with AFL, or not enough fans, or not enough sponsors. Just excuses to hide a lack of vision, plan and leadership ability to grow the game.

AFL sht game, great administrators, NRL great game, sht administrators. And so it continues.

image-20160620-9516-65803y.jpg

Diesel

Referee
17 teams is a given, but it’s only there to shore up the competition, get extra financial support into the NRL which will allow team 18 to enter, which will be Perth.
I wouldn’t be surprised if Brisbane 2 enters in the last year of the current deal, which I think is 2022

T-Boon

Coach
Perth Pirates should try to join the English Super League. The NRL sucks anyway.

The best RL now is Fox repeats of late 80s early 90s RL like the 1990 test between GB and Aus. It is like a different sport. Like a sport rather than a wrestle.

TheRam

Coach
Maybe he is playing a chess game here. Maybe he is saying, look Perth, your State is a real tough cookie to crack, so I'm not sure if we should waste what finite resources we have at present to a region that has so many wonderful resources given to support the strangle hold the AFL has on your city.

Now if you could increase your commitment to the NRL even further then what you are currently doing now, like say a nice brand new freakin stadium that we can play out of. Bankwest comes to mind, not that second hand, second rate hand me down job you have given us. I mean how the heck is that supposed to seduce anyone to come along to an NRL game when the AFL have the 7th wonder of sports in this country to play out of ffs?

Anyway back to strategy, increase your money commitment to junior development and so forth, then we can see an opportunity and a risk worth taking. We need you the Gov, to be a helpful and committed partner if we were to do this and do this right. Show us that commitment and we have a deal.

Maybe something like that is being hatched in his little head? But then again it is the NRL and nothing that Machiavellian for good long term visionary stuff is ever done. So he has probably put major foot in mouth and just plain stuffed up like all the other NRL head honchos tend to do.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe he is playing a chess game here. Maybe he is saying, look Perth, your State is a real tough cookie to crack, so I'm not sure if we should waste what finite resources we have at present to a region that has so many wonderful resources given to support the strangle hold the AFL has on your city.

Now if you could increase your commitment to the NRL even further then what you are currently doing now, like say a nice brand new freakin stadium that we can play out of. Bankwest comes to mind, not that second hand, second rate hand me down job you have given us. I mean how the heck is that supposed to seduce anyone to come along to an NRL game when the AFL have the 7th wonder of sports in this country to play out of ffs?

Anyway back to strategy, increase your money commitment to junior development and so forth, then we can see an opportunity and a risk worth taking. We need you the Gov, to be a helpful and committed partner if we were to do this and do this right. Show us that commitment and we have a deal.

Maybe something like that is being hatched in his little head? But then again it is the NRL and nothing that Machiavellian for good long term visionary stuff is ever done. So he has probably put major foot in mouth and just plain stuffed up like all the other NRL head honchos tend to do.

I very much doubt that was his motivation at all, and if it is it is a very dumb way to do it. This WA Govt has been incredibly supportive of RL over the last few years and those conversations should have been had behind closed doors. Our budget is also tracking well at moment so now would have been a great time to start negotiating a new centre of excellence for WAnrl and future team and other wants as upyou mentioned. All he’s done now is pss off the premier and sports minister.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Perth Pirates should try to join the English Super League. The NRL sucks anyway.

The best RL now is Fox repeats of late 80s early 90s RL like the 1990 test between GB and Aus. It is like a different sport. Like a sport rather than a wrestle.

All we need is a mining billionaire lol

TheRam

Coach
I very much doubt that was his motivation at all, and if it is it is a very dumb way to do it. This WA Govt has been incredibly supportive of RL over the last few years and those conversations should have been had behind closed doors. Our budget is also tracking well at moment so now would have been a great time to start negotiating a new centre of excellence for WAnrl and future team and other wants as upyou mentioned. All he’s done now is pss off the premier and sports minister.

Agreed. Like I said at the end, very doubtful that it is some grand scheme being hatched here. More probable to be just a dumb arse statement by an over hyped buffoon.

Frailty

First Grade
So in summary, based on what V'landys has said:
  • Expansion to new markets unlikely.
  • Invest in suburban grounds.
  • Thinks referees are the biggest issue facing the NRL.
  • Prefers the one referee system.
  • Identified spending in digital department as a cost cutting area.
Great. :rolleyes:

TheRam

Coach
So in summary, based on what V'landys has said:
  • Expansion to new markets unlikely.
  • Invest in suburban grounds.
  • Thinks referees are the biggest issue facing the NRL.
  • Prefers the one referee system.
  • Identified spending in digital department as a cost cutting area.
Great. :rolleyes:

Time will tell, but expansion is a huge issue for the NRL and getting it wrong will hobble the NRL against its main competitor as has been the case over the last 20 years or so.

Club teams are the bread and butter of most sports in our country. On the back of long term development and having first division teams in the non-traditional States for the AFL they have been slowly been able to increase their footprint not only in actual teams, but fans/supporters, juniors(enough so as they have players in their teams that are actually outpost State born and bread players) increased positive media presence(free advertising) corporate support and of course overall revenue base right across the board.

In the same time the NRL has what, finally started to receive close to it worth revenue wise, but very little growth in most other areas compared to the AFL, who set the bar. Sure with Touch Footy and Oz Tag, the figures have ballooned participation wise, but where is the large growth that the AFL have enjoyed in the Eastern States for the NRL in our own home States let alone theirs? Some modest growth sure, but hardly enough to get to excited about.

Expansion is the best way to increase the pie right across the board, so like I said to do very little or get it wrong is a huge negative for any sport. Expansion is vital to the NRL, but we need to get it 100% right. Getting the WA Gov on side and actually helping the NRL with its growth and expansionist ideal is mandatory, not waving the white flag and running away from the fight.

Latest posts