What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
The Sam Burgess thing is different to Farah. As much as I'd like to have a whinge about the NRL f**king us over its not the same thing.

If they allow Sam Burgess to medically retire then he is fine to do whatever he pleases after retirement, including employment with Souths. If he isn't eligible for medical retirement, but decides to retire anyway and take a job at Souths, then whatever salary they are paying him for said employment will go onto the cap (same situation as Inglis).

We got done by Farah because we didn't disclose that he had a deal on the table once retired, on the contingency he left the club. Then made it look 100x worse that he came back to our club on a reduced contract

I'm sure there is a level of being able to rort it though, because once retired surely Burgess/Inglis can do whatever they want on the side with the Bunnies power-brokers.

Legion

Juniors
650 was generous
It would not surprise me in the least if a few players end up without a contract for next year because they insisted on more than they're worth.
Once clubs have spent most of their salary cap then they will be left high & dry. Their only option will be to seek a contract O/S with Super League.

To be perfectly honest, that would make me laugh. The greedy merkins.

Legion

Juniors
It is, so happy to give you Moylan or Dugan :)
Dugan? But look at how he puts in! He appears virtually crippled nearly everytime he's tackled. Laying on the ground in apparent agony but once the trainer 'rubs better', he's up & hobbling around like a bloody trooper! He must be playing with a broken leg or other serious injury. ............

Legion

Juniors
Matt Moylan, no no no no no.

Towards the end of last season, the Sharks fans, at home, gave MM a standing ovation every time he did not drop the ball from a kick. All I can say is that he’d better be bloody cheap!

I wouldn't want Moylan if the Sharks paid us to take him off their hands.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
Have to say now we seem to have reached the 'bargain sale, left over stock' part of the player market, we have to be patient now and trust Maguire with his vision for the roster. A good signing or two will happen as clubs shake out their rosters early new year but I wouldn't be rushing just yet. Certainly not thrilled with the thought of Moylan at his current wage, if he was coming at a much lessor wage ok but I'd like it to be a slot swap with one of our unwanted moving on too.

cerberus

Coach
I think it's significant that the Roosters, the team that know LM best, are pretty OK with letting him leave.
i heard their trying to flog him off to the canadian esl team .
maybe we should try to sell them packer as well

Last edited:

Hoofhearted

Juniors
Latrell.JPG
From the looks of this Instagram post a couple of hours ago Uncle Nick has taught him a valuable life lesson and he's now going back begging.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Yep, good luck to the players if they land a hefty contract but there seems to be a whole generation of precious footballers nowadays that think they are worth more than what they are really worth.
Tell him he's dreamin'. Drifts in and out of games, or doesn't show up at all. Pass on that one.

Tiger5150

Bench
The Sam Burgess thing is different to Farah. As much as I'd like to have a whinge about the NRL f**king us over its not the same thing.

If they allow Sam Burgess to medically retire then he is fine to do whatever he pleases after retirement, including employment with Souths. If he isn't eligible for medical retirement, but decides to retire anyway and take a job at Souths, then whatever salary they are paying him for said employment will go onto the cap (same situation as Inglis).

We got done by Farah because we didn't disclose that he had a deal on the table once retired, on the contingency he left the club. Then made it look 100x worse that he came back to our club on a reduced contract

I'm sure there is a level of being able to rort it though, because once retired surely Burgess/Inglis can do whatever they want on the side with the Bunnies power-brokers.

If its a legitimate medical retirement, why does he need the job?

Fordy20

Juniors
Looks like Lomax is off the table.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...l/news-story/4afb35f32b95a58b0171022a7697c252

Zac Lomax is set to sign the longest deal in St George Illawarra history after agreeing to a monster six-year contract.

The in-demand Lomax, 20, has rejected interest from a host of clubs, including Wests Tigers and Canberra, for a deal worth about $3 million in a massive show of faith for the struggling Dragons.

It is understood the final year of the multi-year deal is an option in Lomax’s favour.

The length of the contract is only matched in Dragons history by the one to land halfback Ben Hunt from Brisbane two years ago. Hunt’s original deal was five years and an option for a sixth.

Lomax was already contracted until the end of next season but was one of the most in-demand players in the competition having long been earmarked as a first grade star.

The interest in him comes despite the goalkicker having played just 17 top-grade games since making his NRL debut last year.

Lomax, whose partner Jessica Sergis is a star in her own right with the Dragons’ NRLW side, will have an opportunity to press ahead with his goal of being the club’s first-choice fullback.

While club officials are unsure whether Lomax’s long-term future is in the No.1 jersey or in the centres, Dragons coach Paul McGregor will give him first crack at fullback this year.

“It’s good that (McGregor has) got confidence in me,” Lomax said this week. “Hopefully, the playing group’s got confidence in me as well.

“I’ll make sure I try and get that from them by just showing them I can work hard and put in the effort on the training paddock so I get that respect.

“I think if you can bring a good work rate to the team and you bring effort and you compete on each play, I think that can go a long way as a fullback.

“You look at someone like Charzne Nicoll-Klokstad. He’s fresh to the NRL but you look at what he brought to his team week in, week out. He competed on everything.”

Lomax rose through Illawarra’s junior ranks, representing the Australian Schoolboys and under-18s NSW before being picked in the Prime Minister’s XIII side last year.

St George Illawarra’s two centres, Tim Lafai and Euan Aitken, are off contract at the end of the season.

With Lomax signed, the Dragons will now focus on retaining Kangaroos back-rower Tyson Frizell.

The contracts of Frizell, James Graham, Jacob Host, Mikaele Ravalawa and new recruit Issac Luke expire at the end of next year.

The Dragons’ latest signing Trent Merrin joined the side this week, while St George Illawarra are also pursuing Catalans outside back Brayden Wiliame.