What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tristan Sailor

getsmarty

Immortal

SIGNINGS

Breaking
Sailor re-signs with Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 4 Dec 2019, 03:30 PM

St George Illawarra have announced the re-signing of utility back Tristan Sailor for the 2020 season.

The Western Suburbs Red Devils junior graduated from the Illawarra SG Ball and Jersey Flegg teams in recent years, and completed the Dragons' pathway following his first grade debut in Round 23 against the Sydney Roosters.

The two-time Queensland Under-20s representative finished the 2019 season with three first grade games to his name, where he featured at both fullback and on the wing.

Sailor was also a permanent fixture in the Dragons' minor-premiership-winning Canterbury Cup NSW team last season and was rewarded with selection in the competition's Team of the Year.

"It means a whole lot to remain a Dragon after coming through the Dragons' junior system here. Being able to debut last year and continue my journey is great especially since I live local and attend the University of Wollongong," Sailor said.

"I've been able to show I'm capable of playing a number of positions now, having also experienced different positions in the NRL, so I'm looking forward to continuing that through to 2020."

An excited Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward said the 21-year-old's retention was hopefully the beginning of a long and successful career at the Red V.

"We're extremely excited about Tristan re-signing for a further 12 months following his advancement last year. It was exciting to see his physical and mental development on and off the field," Millward said.

"The coaching staff have a very high opinion of Tristan as does everyone else in the organisation. He's heading in the right direction, and with the experiences of last year we're expecting him to be a vital member of our squad in 2020."

Sailor's retention follows the Dragons' signing of Trent Merrin and Issac Luke in recent weeks.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/04/sailor-re-signs-with-dragons/

nontime111

Juniors
hes going under the radar a bit but I can sense hes going to be the major BREAK out of a season by far along with Zac Lomax
damn RAPT that he stayed thanks Tristian cant wait to see you BAMBOOZLE and CARVE!!
what an intelligent and great kid with a head on his shoulders Im just so inspired and being a QLDER of course I was a HUGE Wendell man and when he came to Saints no one was more happy, this week has been a PINNACLE time in my life, I live eat sleep and breath DRAGONS and was a former centre wing fullback its been dreary....
Tristian gonna DOMINATE step weave chip outrun dodge out think, out PACE totally SLAUGHTER all who attempt to get their mitts on him hes a rabbit and expert dancer like MUNDINE only FASTER! and with a flash of pace SO exciting to watch! its all over! man hell Rip oppositon lines to shreds and hes TOUGHER than he looks!! hehe! GO TRISTIAN all power to you!!

such a great kid and family im SO glad hes staying, old school loyalty a REAL player whos games got everything, everyone should be JUST as excited about his signing as Lomax, HAPPY DAYS for GOOD PEOPLE too !
https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/04/sailor-buoyed-to-re-sign-with-dragons/

possm

Coach
I predict he will replace Corey Norman during the course of this season.

Gun half/five eight.

Just what we need to create space for the outside backs.

Tristan is a pure footballer
Unless one of the halves are injured or unavailable through selection for Qld, I can't see Sailor playing in the halves this season.

I see Sailor replacing Lafai at left centre in 2020.

Bench
Hats off to him, could have easily jumped ship especially with our coaching staff going nowhere anytime soon
I think 2020 is our year to start bringing our juniors through, give them a year and it will look well for 2021
I don’t have any faith in our team for 2020 but can’t wait to see the juniors come through and force McIdiot to bite the bull it and give juniors a go by dropping the deadwood from first grade, mainly Aitken and sad to say my man Lafai needs to go

nontime111

Juniors
I too think hell replace Norman within a few games hes a gun 5/8th and just with far more energy and hunger and skill aswell sorry Normy but it his year

Old Timer

Coach
Little to no chance of Sailor replacing Norman other than through injury.
Sailor's best chance for FG comes if Aitken leaves or is dropped with Lomax moving to centre opening up the FB spot and that is all on the proviso that FB is where Lomax is framed to play.
Developing juniors or using them wisely to ascertain their worth is not part of our DNA and never will be whilst Mc Fookknuckle remains.
It is not without possibility that Mc Fookknuckle goes with Luke and Sailor (the 5 minute man component) both on the bench as I suspect he sees Luke as our Brandon Smith equivalent.

4 to 6 losses early in the season will soon change the landscape for young Sailor.

Given the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again even though it fails you, Something has got to give.

BrissyRedV

Bench
I would be very interested to see how Young/Shepherd (but more likely Young) uses him in the unlikely event McGregor is sacked early on. We may actually see what he is capable of.

BrissyRedV

Bench
4 to 6 losses early in the season will soon change the landscape for young Sailor.

Given the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again even though it fails you, Something has got to give.
By round 8, we will likely have those 6 losses and will know if McGregor is staying or not.

nontime111

Juniors
Sailor will take 5/8 as soon as he gets one game there..he wont be replaced after that youll see...

getsmarty

Immortal
sailort-1gp_3834.jpg

DRAGONS

Selfless Sailor happy to wing it for Dragons
Author
Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Mon 9 Dec 2019, 02:02 PM

Tristan Sailor makes no secret fullback is his preferred position but the versatile speedster's best pathway to a permanent starting spot looks set to be on the wing.

Sailor impressed at fullback on NRL debut this year but fellow rising star Zac Lomax is set to receive first crack at the Dragons No.1 jersey in 2020.

Having inked a new one-year deal last week, Sailor is keen to take on any role in St George Illawarra's star-studded back line to add to his three top-grade games.

"I have been a utility throughout my whole career, I guess, so I'll just work on each facet of every part of the back line and hopefully there's somewhere that I can slot in," Sailor said.

"Whether it's on the bench, wing, centre, fullback, halves, I don't mind. I'm super happy for Zac and if he claims that No.1 jersey it's well deserved."

The 21-year-old's best shot at earning a starting spot appears to be as a winger, where he finished the 2019 NRL campaign.

Five key matchups of the Dragons' 2020 draw

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor couldn't settle on his flank combination last season, with Mikaele Ravalawa, Jonus Pearson, Lomax, Jason Saab and Jordan Pereira all tried as well.

"I'm happy to play wing, it's such a good position these days. You get to finish tries and those backfield carries are so important," he said.

"I think I can bring the scoot with my game, compared to JP [Jordan Pereira] – he's just a big, solid runner, so it'll be good to mix it up a bit.

"I just keep learning in that position, especially defensively and our systems. Hopefully I can excel at that as well."

Sailor said the Dragons had only offered him a one-year contract but he was content to back his ability and secure his future down the line.

"[It's] just so I can work on my game, improve, and whatever happens, happens," he said.

"We were in negotiations for the whole period and I came into pre-season from the start. It's just good to have another year with heaps of the boys I've come through juniors with."

He made the call to re-sign without much advice from his legendary father Wendell Sailor, the former Broncos and Dragons winger.

"The fact I'm still living with him and Mum probably was the biggest factor in it," Sailor said.

"He didn't have too much of a say, he sort of let me make my own decision and just supported me through it.

"Coming through he always helped coach me but now he's just taken a full step back. Mum helps me with my decisions more probably and then my manager."

Cameron McInnes in focus

After being a key part of the Dragons' Canterbury Cup team that won the minor premiership, Sailor now feels ready to handle the full-time NRL grind.

"I got used to the physicality of Canterbury Cup playing week in, week out, and that was just all I needed to take that extra step I think," he said.

"Coming into this pre-season I've had that experience, so I hopefully can take that to another level and become even more physical in my game."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/10/selfless-sailor-happy-to-wing-it-for-dragons/

Latest posts