What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sailor re-signs with Dragons

getsmarty

Immortal

SIGNINGS

Breaking
Sailor re-signs with Dragons
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Wed 4 Dec 2019, 03:30 PM

St George Illawarra have announced the re-signing of utility back Tristan Sailor for the 2020 season.

The Western Suburbs Red Devils junior graduated from the Illawarra SG Ball and Jersey Flegg teams in recent years, and completed the Dragons' pathway following his first grade debut in Round 23 against the Sydney Roosters.

The two-time Queensland Under-20s representative finished the 2019 season with three first grade games to his name, where he featured at both fullback and on the wing.

Sailor was also a permanent fixture in the Dragons' minor-premiership-winning Canterbury Cup NSW team last season and was rewarded with selection in the competition's Team of the Year.

"It means a whole lot to remain a Dragon after coming through the Dragons' junior system here. Being able to debut last year and continue my journey is great especially since I live local and attend the University of Wollongong," Sailor said.

"I've been able to show I'm capable of playing a number of positions now, having also experienced different positions in the NRL, so I'm looking forward to continuing that through to 2020."

An excited Director of Rugby League Pathways and List Management Ian Millward said the 21-year-old's retention was hopefully the beginning of a long and successful career at the Red V.

"We're extremely excited about Tristan re-signing for a further 12 months following his advancement last year. It was exciting to see his physical and mental development on and off the field," Millward said.

"The coaching staff have a very high opinion of Tristan as does everyone else in the organisation. He's heading in the right direction, and with the experiences of last year we're expecting him to be a vital member of our squad in 2020."

Sailor's retention follows the Dragons' signing of Trent Merrin and Issac Luke in recent weeks.

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2019/12/04/sailor-re-signs-with-dragons/

Dragonsamy

Bench
George dragon....any thoughts on why only 1 year?

Smarty not sure what Georges response would be but my opinion is Smart Move by both him and the club to only signing for one year because we need to see what sort of advancement he's made in a year and then offer you a proper contract and for him if he's not happy you can still leave and probably go to the Broncos or something like that.
And he will also be finishing his degree at the end of next year

Dragonslayer

First Grade
1yr signing is interesting but a smart move imo.
Firstly, lets see how he develops in 2020 and as mentioned as a utility back.
Secondly, which is directly linked to the first point, if he has a good year then extending on more $$$, would be appropriate. If he doesn't develop we wont hear the famous words from Possm as why he was extended long term.
Thirdly, which is linked to point 2, is that with a number of players off-contract and probably moving on, the amount he could demand maybe more and we would have the funds to support that and play a more permanent position.

getsmarty

Immortal
Smarty not sure what Georges response would be but my opinion is Smart Move by both him and the club to only signing for one year because we need to see what sort of advancement he's made in a year and then offer you a proper contract and for him if he's not happy you can still leave and probably go to the Broncos or something like that.

Thanks samy.... The finishing degree in a Year makes me nervous along with the 1 year deal. Hopefully we have a "Real" coach by then which could make all the difference.

Gareth67

First Grade

Sammy does Wendell live in the ‘ gong area or has he returned to Queensland ?

Hoping that his young bloke remains in the Dragon colors for a number of more seasons.

BLM01

First Grade
1yr signing is interesting but a smart move imo.
Firstly, lets see how he develops in 2020 and as mentioned as a utility back.
Secondly, which is directly linked to the first point, if he has a good year then extending on more $$$, would be appropriate. If he doesn't develop we wont hear the famous words from Possm as why he was extended long term.
Thirdly, which is linked to point 2, is that with a number of players off-contract and probably moving on, the amount he could demand maybe more and we would have the funds to support that and play a more permanent position.
Very close to mark. Advised to go 1 year at a small contract, because if he flourishes..the Dragons want him long term and his market value will up up up...so they are also juggling available figures to go all out in 2021 as we will be spending from there on big.
They will offer a longer term contract going forward (maybe by mid year) similar to what Lomax has agreed to from next year...

BLM01

First Grade
DS..Dragons wont let him go easily. I am hearing a Norman replacement or pressure there on if Norman does not step up this year and / or from 2021...just maybe.
Sailor fits their mould perfectly of the type of personality, training ethic and off the field efforts player they want in 1st grade. They will certainly fight a lot harder than they did for Leilua for the same reasons.
Longer term view witll be a Sullivan / Sailor combo

Dragonsamy

Bench
DS..Dragons wont let him go easily. I am hearing a Norman replacement or pressure there on if Norman does not step up this year and / or from 2021...just maybe.
Sailor fits their mould perfectly of the type of personality, training ethic and off the field efforts player they want in 1st grade. They will certainly fight a lot harder than they did for Leilua for the same reasons.
Longer term view witll be a Sullivan / Sailor combo

BLM01
Great points. I think he has something special but if Mary still here I doubt he will stay but if he progress like he should and Mary is gone could be the long-term solution as you say. Sullivan is the future

Last edited:

Latest posts