What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What is your most unpopular opinion about the NRL?

T-Boon

Coach
Could not agree more with this.

Watching some 90s games on Fox recently and the creativity, vision and skill on display was exceptional.
NRL is basically programmed garbage now.

Its like watching Rambo First Blood v watching Rambo Last Blood.
It really was a great game in the late 80s and early 90s, I thought it might have just been that "game was better in my day" thing, but watching Fox classics has proven it is was a much better game.

Springs09

Juniors
That people (on this website and in general) take the game way too seriously.

Their level of happiness and inner peace depends way too much on how competitive their team is.

It is just a game.

Take the NRL too seriously maybe

But people, including myself, have a lot of their personal life invested into the sport, as its what they love. Local footy is how I've met most of my mates, how I've spent most of my winter weekends, did a lot of charity fundraising, and helped me through tough times. Had a 12-year long dream of getting my local team back on the park which I achieved last year.

The 80 minutes on the field is just a game. The sport as a whole is much more than 'just a game' to me.

>zuzu<

Juniors
We were better off with Gallop as our CEO, than Greenberg. His handling of a plethora of issues has been poor IMHO..

1. No fault stand down policy - very flawed.
  2. Salary cap cover for players injured on representative duty - capped @ 350k for no apparent reason. It seems they took the case with Hodgson, found his contract was worth say 700k, and because he was missing for half the season, they got half the compensation, and set that as the precedent. Dumb AF, with no foresight
  3. Him standing in for GI at a court hearing. This is inexcusable for me.
  4. The bunker came in under him - and he promised us no issues. Ill admit,. there was a period for the beginning of this year where I thought they were getting all the calls right - but it fell to shit at the end of the year
  5. The whole referee department is a joke.
  6. The medical retirement fiasco of Inglis - and lapping that all in, just to give them a free ride. Terrible foresight, and we will now see what this means for the likes or Burgess and Foran.
  7. The fact we STILL do not have trade windows, after several merry-go-round-like offseasons
  8. Rules in place to ensure player cannot get the most out of their career. The whole Jordan Rapana thing stinks to high hell. If a club wants to sign him when he is a free agent after a Rugby stint in Japan, who in the hell is he to stop that? Legally speaking - I am sure this would not hold up anywhere.
  9. The NRL judiciary being as farcical as ever. He hates the word consistency, because it is something they will never attain.

Last edited:

axl rose

Bench
Could not agree more with this.

Watching some 90s games on Fox recently and the creativity, vision and skill on display was exceptional.
NRL is basically programmed garbage now.
While 90s my was favorite era (great jerseys, rules, players etc) they are generally only showing you the top 'classic' games. Go and watch Seagulls vs Sydney Tigers in front of 3,000 people and tell me how good it was. The top 5, usually rep standard, teams suited the game only being on tv a couple of times a week.

gitano

Juniors
While 90s my was favorite era (great jerseys, rules, players etc) they are generally only showing you the top 'classic' games. Go and watch Seagulls vs Sydney Tigers in front of 3,000 people and tell me how good it was. The top 5, usually rep standard, teams suited the game only being on tv a couple of times a week.
Very true.

Dave's mate

Juniors
We were better off with Gallop as our CEO, than Greenberg. His handling of a plethora of issues has been poor IMHO..

1. No fault stand down policy - very flawed.
  2. Salary cap cover for players injured on representative duty - capped @ 350k for no apparent reason. It seems they took the case with Hodgson, found his contract was worth say 700k, and because he was missing for half the season, they got half the compensation, and set that as the precedent. Dumb AF, with no foresight
  3. Him standing in for GI at a court hearing. This is inexcusable for me.
  4. The bunker came in under him - and he promised us no issues. Ill admit,. there was a period for the beginning of this year where I thought they were getting all the calls right - but it fell to shit at the end of the year
  5. The whole referee department is a joke.
  6. The medical retirement fiasco of Inglis - and lapping that all in, just to give them a free ride. Terrible foresight, and we will now see what this means for the likes or Burgess and Foran.
  7. The fact we STILL do not have trade windows, after several merry-go-round-like offseasons
  8. Rules in place to ensure player cannot get the most out of their career. The whole Jordan Rapana thing stinks to high hell. If a club wants to sign him when he is a free agent after a Rugby stint in Japan, who in the hell is he to stop that? Legally speaking - I am sure this would not hold up anywhere.
  9. The NRL judiciary being as farcical as ever. He hates the word consistency, because it is something they will never attain.
Both are either corrupt or incompetent or both

Springs09

Juniors

While true that's also true of the game now. There's the same amount of good games and bad games (or possibly less bad games due to less teams), it's the style of play that's attractive.

Back then yeah Knights v Manly was great to watch, this year we can have the top 2 teams (Roosters v Storm) play one of the most boring games of the year due to the style of play.

gerg

Juniors

The highlight of the 90s has to be St George shitting the bed, not once, not twice, nor even thrice, but frice.

Take the NRL too seriously maybe

But people, including myself, have a lot of their personal life invested into the sport, as its what they love. Local footy is how I've met most of my mates, how I've spent most of my winter weekends, did a lot of charity fundraising, and helped me through tough times. Had a 12-year long dream of getting my local team back on the park which I achieved last year.

The 80 minutes on the field is just a game. The sport as a whole is much more than 'just a game' to me.

Hence a testament to @Patorick ’s post that it’s an unpopular opinion. Although I do agree with him.

I’m as filthy as the next person if my team screws it up, which happens a lot. Last night a prime example. But I’ve mellowed a lot since my angry fan days. And i tend to avoid fan sites when the dragons lose as that tends to piss me off more than the result. But I’ll still hover around the main LU page. Cop my dragons fan medicine.

I would never dispute anyone on here or other fan sites in regards to passion for their team and the sport. But I know plenty who get far too overwhelmed with fury when their team goes south. When rage is involved passion goes out the window.

taipan

Referee
That after all these decades, we still don't have any assets.
We had no lobbying ability with Governments for years, till Gallop got the flick.
A tough game needs tough straight shooting leadership which we had with Quayle ,and now with Leonidas V'Landys.
Imagine the game surviving COVID-19 under Moffett.He'd be on a cycling tour of the Grampians.And the players and fans may as well be also.

DeeJ

Bench
I dislike how unprofessional the game coverage is on Channel Nine. I know people like seeing ex players, and laughs and the footy show was a good platform for that which no longer exists. But not every great player should be a colour commentator. In fact I'd rather see more Joel Caines than Thurstons in the box.

I especially dislike how the ex players do the voice over promos. None of them are suited to it especially the newest generation. It really sounds amateur.

10$ Ferret

Staff member
NRL is a competition, Rugby League is a sport.

My unpopular opinion is Katoni Staggs is one of the worst players currently in the NRL.
The guy can't defend if he tried and in my opinion half the time he gets out of the way and doesn't try

peter file

Juniors
NRL is a competition, Rugby League is a sport.

My unpopular opinion is Katoni Staggs is one of the worst players currently in the NRL.
The guy can't defend if he tried and in my opinion half the time he gets out of the way and doesn't try
He's showed some toe both on and off the field this year.