What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

getsmarty

Immortal
Well done to all for keeping Zac.
Seems most here rate him highly, so job done.

I dont understand why such a long deal though.
Thats a long commitment for a player with potential but no real runs on the board.

Anyway, I wish him well.

If you listen to millward's interview he fills in a lot of gaps....Plenty of people in the know rate Zac and a number of clubs wanted him....He always wanted to stay so here's hoping he fulfills his potential...

Leaves both our current centres for dead , so if fullback doesn't work, then that's were I would play him.

getsmarty

Immortal
St George Illawarra Dragons re-sign Zac Lomax to long-term contract
  • Local Sport
    r0_179_3500_2155_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Zac Lomax has extended his stay with the Dragons. Picture: Anna Wa

• St George Illawarra will look to build their future around Zac Lomax after the exciting young star signed a long-term contract extension with the club, with the Dragons hoping he will remain a one-club player throughout his career.

Lomax has re-signed with the Dragons for another five years, keeping him at the club until at least the end of the 2025 season.

A Temora Dragons junior, Lomax has been contracted to the club since he was 13-years-old. A graduate of St George Illawarra's junior pathway, Lomax made his NRL debut in round 10, 2018.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor will give the 20-year-old the first crack at fullback next season ahead of the seemingly out of favour Matt Dufty, with Lomax keen to make the No.1 jersey his own.

"Being able to go back to Temora at Christmas knowing that my future is settled and that I'm definitely going to be a Dragon for a while yet is very exciting. My family and I are very happy with the decision that's been made," Lomax said.

"With 2020, I've attacked every session possible and soaked up as much information as I can when it comes to playing fullback. I realise I still have a lot to learn but it's a challenge I'm really looking forward to."

Lomax, a two-time Junior Kangaroos representative and former Australian Schoolboy and NSWRL under-18s player of the year, has already played 17 first grade games in the red V.

Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward hailed Lomax's re-signing as a significant retention for the Dragons' on-field fortunes and succession planning.

"There was a lot of speculation over Zac with numerous clubs in for him and we respected the process he and his management went through," Millward said.

"One thing that hit home over the past couple of weeks was that he wanted to be a Dragon and wanted to stay at the Dragons.

"To have him recommit long term is a no-brainer. Our aim now, and Zac's, is to have him wear the red V for the rest of his career. He wants to be a one-club player.

"Zac is already the benchmark at training. With his attitude and attention-to-detail we see him as a future leader of our club. The cherry on top is he's an outstanding goal kicker so we are pleased to shore that up too."

Lomax's younger brother, Hayden, has also signed a one-year development player contract extension with the club.

The Dragons have also re-signed utility back Tristan Sailor for the 2020 NRL season.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ub-player-after-long-term-contract-extension/

getsmarty

Immortal
Zac Lomax re-signs with St George Illawarra Dragons
Local Sport
TRY TIME: Young gun Zac Lomax has committed to the St George Illawarra Dragons. Picture: NRL Imagery
One of the Dragons most promising young talents is sticking around for many years to come.

On Thursday, St George Illawarra announced the long-term contract extension of Zac Lomax will remain with the Red until at least the end of the 2025 NRL season. It is the longest deal in the joint venture's club history.

The 20-year-old had attracted plenty of interest from rival clubs Newcastle Knights and Wests Tigers. Coach Paul Gregor recently confirmed Lomax would get first crack at the Dragons' No.1 jumper next year.

See more: Illawarra Hawks announce signing of import Darington Hobson

The club has also announced Lomax's younger brother Hayden has signed a one-year development player contract extension.

Zac Lomax said he was delighted to re-sign with St George Illawarra.

"Being able to go back to Temora at Christmas knowing that my future is settled and that I'm definitely going to be a Dragon for a while yet is very exciting. My family and I are very happy with the decision that's been made," he said.

"With 2020, I've attacked every session possible and soaked up as much information as I can when it comes to playing fullback. I realise I still have a lot to learn but it's a challenge I'm really looking forward to."

An early Christmas present... https://t.co/qEbgHhKopC#redvpic.twitter.com/PSS9emfhVY

— St George Illawarra Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) December 5, 2019
Dragons recruitment chief Ian Millward said Lomax was a "significant retention" for the club's on-field fortunes and succession planning.

"There was a lot of speculation over Zac with numerous clubs in for him and we respected the process he and his management went through," Millward said.

"One thing that hit home over the past couple of weeks was that he wanted to be a Dragon and wanted to stay at the Dragons.

"To have him recommit long term is a no-brainer. Our aim now, and Zac's, is to have him wear the Red V for the rest of his career - he wants to be a one-club player.

"Zac is already the benchmark at training. With his attitude and attention-to-detail we see him as a future leader of our club. The cherry on top is he's an outstanding goal kicker so we are pleased to shore that up too."

It's been a busy couple of weeks for the Dragons, who recently announced the signings of veterans Isaac Luke and Trent Merrin.

Young gun Tristan Sailor also re-signed with the Red V earlier this week.

https://www.illawarramercury.com.au...igns-with-st-george-illawarra-dragons/?cs=302

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
St George Illawarra Dragons re-sign Zac Lomax to long-term contract
  • Local Sport
    r0_179_3500_2155_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Zac Lomax has extended his stay with the Dragons. Picture: Anna Wa

• St George Illawarra will look to build their future around Zac Lomax after the exciting young star signed a long-term contract extension with the club, with the Dragons hoping he will remain a one-club player throughout his career.

Lomax has re-signed with the Dragons for another five years, keeping him at the club until at least the end of the 2025 season.

A Temora Dragons junior, Lomax has been contracted to the club since he was 13-years-old. A graduate of St George Illawarra's junior pathway, Lomax made his NRL debut in round 10, 2018.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor will give the 20-year-old the first crack at fullback next season ahead of the seemingly out of favour Matt Dufty, with Lomax keen to make the No.1 jersey his own.

"Being able to go back to Temora at Christmas knowing that my future is settled and that I'm definitely going to be a Dragon for a while yet is very exciting. My family and I are very happy with the decision that's been made," Lomax said.

Lomax, a two-time Junior Kangaroos representative and former Australian Schoolboy and NSWRL under-18s player of the year, has already played 17 first grade games in the red V.

Dragons director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward hailed Lomax's re-signing as a significant retention for the Dragons' on-field fortunes and succession planning.

"To have him recommit long term is a no-brainer. Our aim now, and Zac's, is to have him wear the red V for the rest of his career. He wants to be a one-club player.

Lomax's younger brother, Hayden, has also signed a one-year development player contract extension with the club.

The Dragons have also re-signed utility back Tristan Sailor for the 2020 NRL season.
https://www.theleader.com.au/story/...ub-player-after-long-term-contract-extension/

Thanks GS,
Good to have some much needed positive news!

getsmarty

Immortal
NRL 2020: Zac Lomax signs long-term extension with Dragons

$
© Getty Images
Highly rated outside back Zac Lomax has committed to the Dragons for the extended future, signing a five-year deal with the club that will keep him there until the end of the 2025 NRL season.

Lomax has worked his way through the Dragons system, having been signed as a junior at the age of 13, with the Temora junior making his debut in round 10 in 2018.

The 20-year-old's future at the club appeared to be in doubt, with The Australian reporter Brent Read telling Sporting News that the Canberra Raiders were heavily pursuing his signature.

However, Lomax has recommitted to the club and signed a long-term extension, with the two-time Junior Kangaroos representative excited to have settled his future.

"Being able to go back to Temora at Christmas knowing that my future is settled and that I'm definitely going to be a Dragon for a while yet is very exciting. My family and I are very happy with the decision that's been made," Lomax told the club's website.

"With 2020, I've attacked every session possible and soaked up as much information as I can when it comes to playing fullback.

"I realise I still have a lot to learn but it's a challenge I'm really looking forward to."

An early Christmas present... https://t.co/qEbgHhKopC#redvpic.twitter.com/PSS9emfhVY

— St George Illawarra Dragons (@NRL_Dragons) December 5, 2019
Director of rugby league pathways and list management Ian Millward hailed Lomax as a crucial piece to retain for their future, envisioning him as a future leader of the club.

"To have him recommit long term is a no-brainer. Our aim now, and Zac's, is to have him wear the Red V for the rest of his career – he wants to be a one-club player.

"Zac is already the benchmark at training.

"With his attitude and attention-to-detail we see him as a future leader of our club.

"The cherry on top is he's an outstanding goal kicker so we are pleased to shore that up too."

In further positive news for the Lomax family, younger brother Hayden has been signed a one-year extension as a development player for the club.

"I'm so thankful for the opportunity to be given another season. I had an interrupted season last year so I'm very grateful," Lomax said.

"I never had an opportunity to play too much footy in 2019 so hopefully I can put my best foot forward and play consistent football in 2020.

"The club has been unreal to my family and I since arriving at the club when I was 15 and I've really appreciated everything since."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/news/othe...s-long-term-extension-with-dragons/ar-BBXMnEo

Great further signing for Zac and club.. As i see the long contract as an eye opener he WILL be playing centres. After they throw Aitken under the BUS, and throw him out 5 rounds later.. Give him the dignity and pride for a local Junior. The poor man and let him free on market so he can be appreciated elsewhere!!!!

TruSaint

Referee
If you listen to millward's interview he fills in a lot of gaps....Plenty of people in the know rate Zac and a number of clubs wanted him....He always wanted to stay so here's hoping he fulfills his potential...

Leaves both our current centres for dead , so if fullback doesn't work, then that's were I would play him.

Fair enough mate.

Dont get me wrong, i am pleased he is staying.
Just not a fan of extended long term deals, as I have seen them go pear shaped too many times.

Dragon70

Juniors
I think $500k is a fair price for a goal kicking centre.

Probably overs for the first year or 2 but in my opinion worth the risk.

If he excels at fullback it's a bonus if not his a better centre than the current incumbents.

slippery5

Juniors
Excellent work re signing Zac, credit where credit is due. I can't wait to see how somehow some people on here will still try to put a negative spin on this but personally I think most of our recent signings/re-signings have been pretty smart and just what we needed without going over the top too much. In 2020 we should have a pretty experienced side with some good depth and a punchers chance of doing some damage without compromising 2021 in which we can shuffle our cards. If we do gain Williame as reported it will be great, he's looks a very decent player right in his prime, and will put pressure on our two centres, that plus the fact they are both off contract is going to get the best out them next year. Lafai is probably finished and I'm not writing off Aitken just yet but the get another contract he's going to have to have an absolute ripper of a season.
I'm hoping Aitken has a ripper of a season..... At another club......

Gareth67

First Grade
Glad to see him signed , but the length of contract is a bit of a surprise.
However in saying that the young fella has class written all over him and as we all have all been saying for yonks now under the right tutelage he will fulfill that potential.

Jerkwad2000

Juniors
You quoted he will play centre didnt you ?
Not according to the Club and Zac.

He is 100% training at fullback. But De Belin is also training at 2nd receiver, so who the hell knows what they are doing down there (I see them training on my lunch walks)

As for Lomax, big contract for a guy that has played so few games. One that most would have wanted to go to Dufty just 12 months ago, and look what's happened to him. Not sure at this point in his career he warrants 500k per season, but I guess that is the market these days. No way some of these other players like David Fifita warrant 1m a season at this point either, but gotta make hay while the sun still shines as they say.

TruSaint

Referee
He is 100% training at fullback. But De Belin is also training at 2nd receiver, so who the hell knows what they are doing down there (I see them training on my lunch walks)

As for Lomax, big contract for a guy that has played so few games. One that most would have wanted to go to Dufty just 12 months ago, and look what's happened to him. Not sure at this point in his career he warrants 500k per season, but I guess that is the market these days. No way some of these other players like David Fifita warrant 1m a season at this point either, but gotta make hay while the sun still shines as they say.

Yeah, as I said I thought he was promised the FB role.
Thx for the update.

Agree with your assessment re the length of contract. I have posted something similar.

Bench
When I saw the posts about Zac extending his contract I though OK probably another year and didn’t bother to read the post.
Then I saw he had signed to 2025: that got my attention.
He does have a passion for the club, which is not always the mentality of some younger player at other clubs, money first, second and third.
Dare I say, well done Mr. Millward, yes I will say well done