What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023-2028 next tv deal discussion

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Dont understand V'landys comments today about just adding one team for a 17 team comp. I dont see how that would add any value to the tv rights?

Maybe that's the idea.

I'm getting worried about V'landys....when News Ltd journos praise him that's a concern.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
i guess what he is saying is there is more value in a single additional brisbane team than to dilute further for a 9th game, with a franchise likely going to perth. looks like they want to consolidate brisbane before exploring other areas.

conservative option. could give time for exploration of Origin, Tests and Magic weekend to Perth and Adelaide. maybe that is the strategy for those towns long term...magic weekends and origins? before perhaps inclusion later down the track?

personally, if they went brisbane and wellington to keep it east coast/tasman it has travel advantages. and begins to breakdown union a little more and tap that market for players / depth. perth is a solid option but by the looks of things the bar is being set high now.

Why can the AFL introduce new clubs and get more broadcast money even though the teams don't rate whilst we have to wait, it's BS playing into what the broadcasters want. Grow the bloody game.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Sell the rights to TEN get them to pay the extra to cover Perth's cost.

Is it possible they are keeping league low knowing they will have to pay for the AFL and an increase there?

Perth Red

Post Whore
Why can the AFL introduce new clubs and get more broadcast money even though the teams don't rate whilst we have to wait, it's BS playing into what the broadcasters want. Grow the bloody game.

Because its extra content giving extra advertising space and schedule filling that is valuable, and the new clubs, whilst poorly supported are usually playing another club that is well supported. I've not checked their stats but I doubt the Suns and GWS games across the season rate much, if any, lower than other games in the same time slots. Bit like NRL games, there really isnt a massive audience difference across different clubs playing in same time slots.
In essence the TV company are paying for the ninth game, not the two new clubs that allow a ninth game to happen. Its why V'landys comment that the addition of Brisbane2 on their own will add significant value to the TV deal doesn't ring true. Its the ninth game that would add value and doesnt really matter who the two additional clubs are from a TV value perspective.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Because its extra content giving extra advertising space and schedule filling that is valuable, and the new clubs, whilst poorly supported are usually playing another club that is well supported. I've not checked their stats but I doubt the Suns and GWS games across the season rate much, if any, lower than other games in the same time slots. Bit like NRL games, there really isnt a massive audience difference across different clubs playing in same time slots.
In essence the TV company are paying for the ninth game, not the two new clubs that allow a ninth game to happen. Its why V'landys comment that the addition of Brisbane2 on their own will add significant value to the TV deal doesn't ring true. Its the ninth game that would add value and doesnt really matter who the two additional clubs are from a TV value perspective.

Exactly, and for how long will the game carry 17 teams. Not long it's not a desirable option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Exactly, and for how long will the game carry 17 teams. Not long it's not a desirable option.

Which makes V'Landys comments nonsensical. Surely if you're about to go into new TV negotiations and want the max $'s from day one of 2024 you go in with a ninth game as part of the package?

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Hopefully the expansion plan’s findings are so comprehensive about how much of a success Perth would be that V’landys falls into line.

I don’t understand the garbage that the bidders doesn’t want a ninth game. Fox, 10, 9 and 7 all want the NRL rights. 10’s bankrolled by CBS and they will go hard. It’s not up to Fox and 9 if they want a ninth game. You either add a game or you don’t get the rights at all.

One of them will accomodate, surely.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Which makes V'Landys comments nonsensical. Surely if you're about to go into new TV negotiations and want the max $'s from day one of 2024 you go in with a ninth game as part of the package?

Unless the league had no desire to expand and Channel 9/Fox have said we want a second Brisbane team here's some extra cash, now make it happen. Which then begs the question who really runs this game, I think we know but we try to be optimistic. That's why they got rid of Smith, because he actually told them not the other way around.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Hopefully the expansion plan’s findings are so comprehensive about how much of a success Perth would be that V’landys falls into line.

I don’t understand the garbage that the bidders doesn’t want a ninth game. Fox, 10, 9 and 7 all want the NRL rights. 10’s bankrolled by CBS and they will go hard. It’s not up to Fox and 9 if they want a ninth game. You either add a game or you don’t get the rights at all.

One of them will accomodate, surely.

That's how it use to be...but we don't run our own game anymore.

tri_colours

Juniors
That's how it use to be...but we don't run our own game anymore.

When?
The TV stations have been choosing the draw for years . That's only changed in recent times.

A Team in Perth will cost a lot of money. The NRL must feel that can't currently afford it, whereas another Brisbane team will make money.

The Suns/GWS and there 20k ratings don't actually titillate the networks - in fact, I would say that the AFL accept less money to show them on TV, a promotional thing that NRL must feel they cant currently afford.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Unless the league had no desire to expand and Channel 9/Fox have said we want a second Brisbane team here's some extra cash, now make it happen. Which then begs the question who really runs this game, I think we know but we try to be optimistic. That's why they got rid of Smith, because he actually told them not the other way around.

It also begs the question why listen to someone who might not get the rights, presuming of course the NRL genuinely believes there are going to be other bidders or options.

Perth Red

Post Whore
When?

A Team in Perth will cost a lot of money. The NRL must feel that can't currently afford it, whereas another Brisbane team will make money.

The Suns/GWS and there 20k ratings don't actually titillate the networks - in fact, I would say that the AFL accept less money to show them on TV, a promotional thing that NRL must feel they cant currently afford.

Up until 1995

They titillated them enough to pay an extra $52mill a year for the ninth game allegedly. Given the NRL has not, to our knowledge, worked out what the ninth game is worth and to who how do they know they cant afford Brisbane2 AND Perth? Remembering of course this is just the opinion of one guy who has been in the role a few weeks.

Reason is, in my opinion, that no one at the NRL has the cones to stand up to the media organisations. They fall in with what ever they want, even when it contravenes specific provisions in contracts (e.g. The NRL permitting Channel 9 to televise the Warriors v Roosters semi-final on delay in 2008 when the TV contract specifically stated that all finals matches had to be televised live. Nine didn't want to not screen A Current Affair).

Only person who did try to stand up to them was David Smith, and look at how many people tore him down.

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
Up until 1995

They titillated them enough to pay an extra $52mill a year for the ninth game allegedly. Given the NRL has not, to our knowledge, worked out what the ninth game is worth and to who how do they know they cant afford Brisbane2 AND Perth? Remembering of course this is just the opinion of one guy who has been in the role a few weeks.

Prior to '95 they showed just 2 games 1 game on replay/live - depending where you
lived. And an edited highlights package of 1 hour on a Sunday night - just as Paker liked

AFL were paid what they were worth . We were paid enough to survive' and get Rupert's product on the air.

The suns are a good guide to what the 9th game is worth - to the networks: very little if a team with a poor following and a $10million a year loss for the NRL .

Last edited:

tri_colours

Juniors
ive
Reason is, in my opinion, is that no one at the NRL has the cones to stand up to the media organisations. They fall in with what ever they want, even when it contravenes specific provision sin contracts (e.g. The NRL permitting Channel 9 to televise the Warriors v Roosters semi-final on delay when the TV contract specifically stated that all finals matches had to be televised live. Nine didn't want to not screen A Current Affair).

Only person who did try to stand up to them was David Smith, and look at how many people tore him down.

And AFL don't? AFL pander as much or more to the networks as we do. Anyone receiving billions would do the same.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Prior to '95 they showed just 2 games 1 game on replay/live - depending where you
lived. And an edited highlights package of 1 hour on a Sunday night - just as Paker liked

AFL were paid what they were worth . We were paid enough to survive' and get Rupert's product on the air.

The suns are a good guide to what the 9th game is worth - to the networks: very little if a team with a poor following and a $10million a year loss for the NRL .

Except the RL landscape in Perth isnt the same as the AFL landscape on the GC so your comparing apples and oranges. an NRL club doesnt cost as much as an AFL club to run (for example in 2018 Suns ahd a revenue of $40mill, twice what most NRL clubs run) so wouldn't lose so much and even with a $20mill grant the extra a new club brings in from TV has still made a net earn for the AFL as they are worth $26mill a year in TV value. In theory Perth should add more value TV wise due to time slot options and the fact there are actually RL fans in Perth watching the TV.

Out of interest where did you get the GC Suns $10mill loss info from as in 2018 they made a small profit, all be it with a sizeable AFL grant allocation.?

Last edited:

LeagueXIII

First Grade
When?
The TV stations have been choosing the draw for years . That's only changed in recent times.

The Suns/GWS and there 20k ratings don't actually titillate the networks - in fact, I would say that the AFL accept less money to show them on TV, a promotional thing that NRL must feel they cant currently afford.[/QUOTE

The game expanded in 1982, 1988 and 1995 because it grew the game, didn't wait for a Network to say it's ok.

LeagueXIII

First Grade

In 1994,3 games were shown per round.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
Interesting, I wonder which networks are saying we only want a Brisbane team. If it is Nine then do we assume they have already won the rights. What do the other bidders want.

What about Amazon, I heard they bought 20 EPL games this season. They will eventually land in Australia, no wonder News are happy with V'landys he will do the deal and lock it away for another 5 years whereas Smith and Grant knew where streaming was headed.

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2...league-hold-of-sky-and-bt-with-streaming-deal

Latest posts