What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

undertaker

Coach
Saw Paddles on TV, he looks well, but he said he had stage 4 bowel cancer - he sternly noted it wasn't stage 5, was bowling to kids on a street named after him - action still smooth as glass, at his peak the best I've seen (and I don't care if people say I'm a biased Kiwi lol)
Paddles always carried himself well, didn't need any send off garbage or sledging to make him a great and lethal fast bowler.

Sir Richard is truly one of the all-time greats in both Test and ODI cricket. Has had a wretched run of bad health since he retired in 1990, beginning with undergoing bypass surgery exactly a year after he retired. Nevertheless, even in his 40's post-retirement, he still showed he had it during the David Boon Testimonial match in 1996 (YouTube highlights of it).

A big shame test cricket was never a priority for the New Zealand Cricket Board during his playing career, considering that he only played 86 tests over 17 years (average of 5 tests/year), compared to Shane Warne who played 145 tests over 15 years (average of nearly 10 tests/year).

Last edited:
From the WSC era to the end of the 1980s/early 1990s (pre-professionalism / Super League era 1995) was a peak period for cricket.

Every team had great players Lillee, Hadlee, Dev, Botham, Border, Imran Khan, Viv Richards, etc. Decent teams all around. Decent talents in the teams at various times.

Sure, I grew up in this era and am nostalgic, but the World Series Cup, the C'mon Aussie ads, the Maccas team photo placemats and advertising/merchandising of the game was at its peak.

Sad to think these blokes - my heroes - are now pushing mid-60s / 70s and time catches up with them all.

undertaker

Coach
From the WSC era to the end of the 1980s/early 1990s (pre-professionalism / Super League era 1995) was a peak period for cricket.

Every team had great players Lillee, Hadlee, Dev, Botham, Border, Imran Khan, Viv Richards, etc. Decent teams all around. Decent talents in the teams at various times.

Sure, I grew up in this era and am nostalgic, but the World Series Cup, the C'mon Aussie ads, the Maccas team photo placemats and advertising/merchandising of the game was at its peak.

Sad to think these blokes - my heroes - are now pushing mid-60s / 70s and time catches up with them all.

The nature of ODI cricket began to change after the 1996 World Cup.

From 1996 onwards, there was a gradual increase in the number of ODIs played by all test cricket nations worldwide (hence the number of international tours increased), an emphasis on more 4s and 6s being hit by batsmen (which led to shorter boundary sizes) etc. Then the following year the pay dispute between the Australian Cricketers Association and ACB led to national player contracts increased quite substantially, full-time professionalism at both national and state level, increased training regimes etc.

Last edited:

Fangs

Coach
How embarrassing for the MCG.

26th is approaching fast. One more shit wicket till they are struck off the Test venue list right?

King hit

Coach
I would love to see Melbourne get stripped of hosting tests all together. f**k the AFL for ruining what was once one of the most popular test matches.

That lifeless pitch they put in there is a total bore and a joke

Incorrect

Coach
In fairness, its kinda nice to see some life in that strip of the Hume highway they've been using for the last few years.... Must've forgot to re-tar it when they dropped it in this season...