What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

Diesel

Referee
It stops enough for video ref decisions and players feigning injury when a team has momentum. Randomly stopping the game for 5 minute breaks for channel 9 is not a good idea.
They should be running a ticket tape down the bottom of the screen when it goes to the Bunker much like how they do in cricket coverage. With the Bunker interference, HIA rort and player injuries/strains/faking it to give their team a rest, there is no need for a 2 minute break at the 20/60min mark

taste2taste

Juniors
Nor is changing the game to 4 x 20 minute quarters which is being considered. I mean the day you introduce changes to the game solely for TV, you actually do harm the sport.
Eventually league will be played in quarters, there's too much money in it, a 3min commercial break during live play would add an extra 0 to the TV deal.

I'd much rather the NRL try and make money by playing the game in quarters rather than putting an expansion team in Brisbane at the expense of Perth or another new market. A 2nd team in Brisbane would be a decision based purely on $$$ and does zero to expand and grow the game to new markets.

Last edited:

siv

First Grade
As long as the quarter time break picks up immediately at the location and tackle count it stopped

Rather than a restart from a kickoff like in the Amco Cup

LineBall

Juniors
Why not just make each half 50 minutes? More game time, more opportunities for tries, scrums and other stoppages in play that Channel Nine can put advertising into.

And then when the next deal is due - we can go to 60 minute halves. Even more money.

Then the next broadcast deal, we wouldn't make the halves any longer - that would be stupid. Let's make 30 minute quarters - even more chance to put some ads into the broadcast.

I can't believe nobody has thought of this sooner!!

Quicksilver

Bench
We were talking about FIFA corruption in the other thread.

I can’t believe they wouldn’t take up quarters in exchange for $$ before us

Jeez we’re a crook game

beave

Coach
i personally don’t have a problem with going to quarters. Drop the interchange down to 4 changes though to offset it’s implementation.

if it means a significant amount of money to the game, this is one area where I don’t mind the game selling its soul. Imagine if it brings enough money in to help fund Perth and another side?

King hit

Coach
If it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Rugby League has gone in 40 minute halves since day dot with no problems at all.

axl rose

Bench
i personally don’t have a problem with going to quarters. Drop the interchange down to 4 changes though to offset it’s implementation.

if it means a significant amount of money to the game, this is one area where I don’t mind the game selling its soul. Imagine if it brings enough money in to help fund Perth and another side?
Enough for another huge salary cap increase/payrise and an ivory backscratcher for Greenberg.

Perth Red

Post Whore

In reality the extra money would go to clubs, players, other stuff, grassroots in that order. NRL has tripled its income a few years, its not short of money.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Steve Mascord taking it to the new chair:

"Then there is the concern around flying NRL players five hours when we already hear criticism of player workloads and how taxing the season is on the stars of the game.”

Did the chairman of the National Rugby League actually say this, as Peter V’landys is reported to have told The Sunday Mail, in relation to a franchise is Perth?

It’s hard to know where to start with such a gobsmacking statement.

But let’s start in Auckland.

If V’landys cares to travel to a Warriors home game next season, he’ll quickly realise that with immigration procedures at each end, it’s easily a five-hour journey.

Imagine the reaction if the chairman of the National Football League or National Basketball League or Major League Baseball said the journey from New York to Los Angeles was a reason why one of those cities shouldn’t have a team.

And then there’s this quote.

“Forget wasting millions in rusted-on AFL states,” V’landys said.

“Perth does not have a huge league audience.”

So why are you taking the Nines there next year? And why did you take an Origin there this season? Yes, by all means hand us your money for these events and comp games and trials but no, we’re never going to put a team there because you’re all “rusted-on” AFL fans.

Let’s go somewhere else. Let’s go to Melbourne.

Yes, around $80 million has been spent keeping the Storm alive but they are probably the leading rugby league club of this century. “Wasted” according to V’landys – or am I missing something?

Doesn’t his comment suggest that the club’s success has not been worth the investment? It does to me. Let’s shut them down then.

I don’t follow racing at all but I am spending a lot of time with a racing journalist while staying in Sydney and I am told V’landys is the king of the culture war between Sydney and Melbourne, inventing events to take prestige away from the Victorian capital and even wanting the Melbourne Cup moved.

We don’t need that in rugby league – especially from someone in charge of the ‘National’ Rugby League.

The ’N’ does not stand for New South Wales and Queensland. Peter’s responsibility is for the entire country and, via the Warriors, for New Zealand as well.

His job is to maximise the number of people who watch and play, not just turn up the heat in markets that are already strong and pocket a heap of cash from squeezing the same lemon.

The Australian Rugby League Commission runs on the backs of thousands of volunteers.

One shudders to think what will happen when international football crosses his table. Will he be trying to do to the Poms and the Kiwis what, in racing, he tried to do to the Victorians? Perhaps we can expect Australia to secede from the wider world of rugby league?

Everyone tries to tell you V’landys has a relationship with the Sydney media that largely precludes him from criticism. I don’t believe that.

But his comments, as recounted at the top of this column, do require more analysis and – I firmly believe – criticism.

Coupled with the belief that NRL Digital will be scaled down on his watch, things are looking dangerously like the latest instalment in the Back to the Future movie franchise

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/12/...who-thinks-five-hours-on-a-plane-is-too-much/

Canard

Immortal

"Then there is the concern around flying NRL players five hours when we already hear criticism of player workloads and how taxing the season is on the stars of the game.”

Did the chairman of the National Rugby League actually say this, as Peter V’landys is reported to have told The Sunday Mail, in relation to a franchise is Perth?

If V’landys cares to travel to a Warriors home game next season, he’ll quickly realise that with immigration procedures at each end, it’s easily a five-hour journey.

Imagine the reaction if the chairman of the National Football League or National Basketball League or Major League Baseball said the journey from New York to Los Angeles was a reason why one of those cities shouldn’t have a team.

So why are you taking the Nines there next year? And why did you take an Origin there this season? Yes, by all means hand us your money for these events and comp games and trials but no, we’re never going to put a team there because you’re all “rusted-on” AFL fans.

Yes, around $80 million has been spent keeping the Storm alive but they are probably the leading rugby league club of this century. “Wasted” according to V’landys – or am I missing something?

Doesn’t his comment suggest that the club’s success has not been worth the investment? It does to me. Let’s shut them down then.

I don’t follow racing at all but I am spending a lot of time with a racing journalist while staying in Sydney and I am told V’landys is the king of the culture war between Sydney and Melbourne, inventing events to take prestige away from the Victorian capital and even wanting the Melbourne Cup moved.

We don’t need that in rugby league – especially from someone in charge of the ‘National’ Rugby League.

The ’N’ does not stand for New South Wales and Queensland. Peter’s responsibility is for the entire country and, via the Warriors, for New Zealand as well.

His job is to maximise the number of people who watch and play, not just turn up the heat in markets that are already strong and pocket a heap of cash from squeezing the same lemon.

The Australian Rugby League Commission runs on the backs of thousands of volunteers.

One shudders to think what will happen when international football crosses his table. Will he be trying to do to the Poms and the Kiwis what, in racing, he tried to do to the Victorians? Perhaps we can expect Australia to secede from the wider world of rugby league?

Everyone tries to tell you V’landys has a relationship with the Sydney media that largely precludes him from criticism. I don’t believe that.

But his comments, as recounted at the top of this column, do require more analysis and – I firmly believe – criticism.

Coupled with the belief that NRL Digital will be scaled down on his watch, things are looking dangerously like the latest instalment in the Back to the Future movie franchise

https://www.theroar.com.au/2019/12/...who-thinks-five-hours-on-a-plane-is-too-much/

Good article.

Imagine the LU meltdown, if these quotes came from the mouths of the previous Chairs.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

"June 2015"]20 -year old outside back Richie Kennar became the third Victorian to represent Melbourne Storm on Saturday night.

Mahe Fonua created history in 2012 when he became the first Victorian born and bred player to play for Melbourne Storm at NRL level and was then followed by winger Young Tonumaipea who made his debut two years later in Round 1, 2014. On Saturday, Kennar received his opportunity in first-grade to play for the Club he grew up supporting and idolising after making his way through the Melbourne Storm development pathways.

20 odd years, 80 million dollars, three average players produced who all qualify for Island nations. It is effectively Brisbane2 playing from Melbourne.

I do not want Melbourne to go and think Perth should be added, but lets not miss this fact, they still produce no players from an entrie state.

typicalfan

Coach

20 odd years, 80 million dollars, three average players produced who all qualify for Island nations. It is effectively Brisbane2 playing from Melbourne.

I do not want Melbourne to go and think Perth should be added, but lets not miss this fact, they still produce no players from an entrie state.
The big three are highly regarded though, AFL clubs wouldn't have come knocking otherwise.

Melbourne also had to contend with awful FTA treatment as well.

franklin2323

Immortal

This is the concern I have with Perth the 2nd tier players

sempmrh

Juniors
Melbourne is only just now getting a proper home for rugby league built through a major investment from the State Government. It’ll house the VRL, Touch, a future Storm NRLW team and all grassroots programs. If we had had a facility like this 10-20 years ago we might have more Victorian players by now.

T-Boon

Coach
Ban trainers on the field and bring in quarter time breaks.
Make the messages get delivered by the coach on the field during the breaks in front of the fans.

MugaB

Coach
Ban trainers on the field and bring in quarter time breaks.
Make the messages get delivered by the coach on the field during the breaks in front of the fans.
Yes, this!
Plus, no trainers on field period, unless play has stopped and for them to enter if player is floor ridden, to asses the stop of play, and if you want drinks get off the field on sideline for it.
Coaches also to not be in the coaches box, all coaches on the sideline, like sticky does.
Im ok with quarters, but don't switch sides till half time, and decrease interchange to 4 a game, with increase of game minutes to 25 per quarter, and one referee.
So no more Allan langer or peter wallace on the field giving coaching, no more rooster trainer getting hit in the head, more fatigue in the forwards, and less confused referees.

taste2taste

Juniors

Love Steve Mascord, he is the only jurno who has passion and love for the international game and the overall growth of the game. Isn't he currently working with USA RL as a media manager or something ?
Shane Richardson is another one who puts internationals and the growth of the game as a high priority. His review of the game report was binned by the NRL and the clubs because he had the audacity to suggest the NRL has to make a few sacrifices for the overall good of the game.