What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

adamkungl

Immortal
Bizarre stuff

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/12/06...-trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system

Challenge system - possibly a fan, holding judgement until specific details published.

20/40 - nonsense. No one will use this. It has been trialled and failed in QCUP. And why would we want more kick and hope plays?

Choose scrum placement - ok i guess? May introduce some variation in set plays. Unexpected but I'll fall in favour of this one.

Reset on ball hitting ref/trainer - fine.

"The act of tackling a player in mid-air will be banned whether the player initiating contact is the attacking player or the defending player"
-
This will go down as one of the all time worst rule changes. Mark my words.
The existing rule was well-considered for a reason. This change makes wingers basically untouchable.
Kick to wing, winger jumps, can't be tackled, try. Over and over again. The only defence will be to flood the play with blockers - which is also ugly and illegal.
Tupou is gonna score 100 tries in 2020.

Knight76

Juniors
Tackling player in the air rule change is idiotic.

We will also see some NFL style jump over defence or fullback plays as cant tackle them "in the air".

Does the rule say following a kick, or that the player lands in a dangerous manner.

Your going to tackle them vs concede a try, and concede the penalty.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Mid air rule change is idiotic. Every set within
40m of the line is going to be a chip or bomb for a winger.

BadnMean

Juniors
Trainers + scrums. Yeah ok. Minor stuff & they still haven't articulated how long/when the trainers will be allowed on.

New kick is just odd. Bringing in a weird rule for the sake of it. Stop it.

No tackling in the air... Meant to encourage a contest for the ball. It may depend how they interpret it but the bomb & the across field chip will be back in a big way. Tall wingers will prosper.

How do you stop a guy scoring if he's caught a kick? They are incentivising players to go up for a bomb & then contort to come down & land head/ball first. Which is dangerous. If you come down onto your feet you can be tackled or held up before you score.

adamkungl

Immortal
Aren’t Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett on the committee for coming up with these rules? Teams that have 6’4 Daniel Tupou and Campbell Graham on the wings?

Why coaches are allowed to have a say in rules I have no idea.

I've heard suggestions that V'Landys has stuck his fingers into this particular pie.

I refuse to believe that any coach would have come up with this nonsense, even out of self-interest.

axl rose

Bench
Aren’t Trent Robinson and Wayne Bennett on the committee for coming up with these rules? Teams that have 6’4 Daniel Tupou and Campbell Graham on the wings?

Pretty sure they kicked Unca Wayne off. Politis puppet Robbo runs the show now.

And Gould told them 30 years ago, when they asked him to be on one, that coaches on rules committees was a terrible idea.

You are incorrect. The current NRL coaches on the NRL rules committee are Paul Green and Ivan Cleary. Robinson's term on the committee ended in 2017 and he did not re-nominate for election, nor did Michael Maguire who was on the committee from 2015 till 2017.

Wayne Bennett was on the committee till the end of 2015. In fact Maguire replaced Bennett as a member.

Coaches have had a say on the rules for years. In fact the committee which considers any changes has 2 NRL coaches elected to it, as this article lays out - https://www.nrl.com/news/2015/11/06/coaches-selected-for-competition-committee/

yobbo84

First Grade
You just know the stupid mid-air rule has come from a recommendation about health and safety or some BS.. there can't be any other reason other than sheer stupidity.

Vunivalu might want to reconsider switching to the ARU now.. who's going to stop him when he's had a 20m run-up?