What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NRL announces rule changes

getsmarty

Immortal
grahamj-190505_gt_09.jpg

NRL NEWS

NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Fri 6 Dec 2019, 11:55 AM

The NRL has announced a range of rule changes for the 2020 season relating to scrums, trainers and tackling players off the ground while also introducing a 20/40 kick.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley announced the changes on Friday after the moves were approved by the ARL Commission on Thursday.

The Commission also endorsed the introduction of a general-play "challenge" system and NRL management will work through all the operational details with a final report to be provided to the commission in February.

It is likely teams would receive one challenge per match – they would get another challenge if their first one was upheld but lose the option if it was unsuccessful.

The 20/40 kick will work in a similar fashion to the existing 40/20 rule.

A team in possession will earn another set via a tap-kick if they kick the ball from within their own 20-metre zone and find touch within the opposing team's 40-metre line.

Under the change to the scrum rule, the team feeding the ball will have the option of setting the scrum at three locations – 10 metres or 20 metres from the sideline or in the centre of the field, in alignment with the black dot on the crossbar.

Teams will be given five seconds to inform the referee of their choice of scrum position.

stat-attack_20191206-4.jpg

The NRL has announced a change to the "mutual infringement" rule regarding incidents when the ball strikes a trainer or the referee. Previously, the loose head and feed would be awarded to whichever team "the attacking team (i.e. with territorial advantage)".

Under the new rule, the referee will be able to replay the previous play-the-ball in the event of play being irregularly affected by circumstances out of the players' control.

The act of tackling a player in mid-air will be banned whether the player initiating contact is the attacking player or the defending player, in line with the current international laws of the game.

The Commission agreed that further limitations should be placed on the time orange and blue shirt trainers could spend on the field. The specific constraints will be finalised prior to the February Commission meeting.

Additionally, the Commission recommended a trial be undertaken in the second-tier competitions to assess the impact of teams being required to use six players in a scrum even when down to 12 players.

There will be no changes to the scoring system for wins in extra time, which was discussed in the lead-up to the Commission meeting.

The approved changes followed discussion by the NRL Competition Committee and the coaches last month.

Greenberg said ensuring the quality of the sport as a spectacle was paramount to the thinking behind the changes.

"We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate, and is also innovative and unpredictable," Greenberg said.

We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate.

Todd Greenberg
"We certainly feel these changes will have a positive impact on the sport."

Annesley said the NRL had "taken advice and feedback from the key stakeholders of the game in order to make these decisions".

"There has been significant engagement with our fans, the Competition Committee as well as through the NRL coaches, the clubs, and the RLPA.

"Over 20,000 fans responded to an end-of-season survey, more than tripling the response to the 2018 online survey.

"We are constantly looking to evolve, and we believe these changes will lead to a more entertaining game for fans.

"The Competition Committee and the coaches all had the game as a spectacle at the heart of their discussions, along with other key considerations including player wellbeing and the impact on the sport at all levels, and that clearly aligns with the Commission's overall vision for the sport."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system/

BLM01

First Grade
grahamj-190505_gt_09.jpg

NRL NEWS

NRL announces rule changes for scrums, trainers, 20/40 kick, endorses challenge system
Author
NRL.com
Timestamp
Fri 6 Dec 2019, 11:55 AM

The NRL has announced a range of rule changes for the 2020 season relating to scrums, trainers and tackling players off the ground while also introducing a 20/40 kick.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg and head of football elite competitions Graham Annesley announced the changes on Friday after the moves were approved by the ARL Commission on Thursday.

The Commission also endorsed the introduction of a general-play "challenge" system and NRL management will work through all the operational details with a final report to be provided to the commission in February.

It is likely teams would receive one challenge per match – they would get another challenge if their first one was upheld but lose the option if it was unsuccessful.

The 20/40 kick will work in a similar fashion to the existing 40/20 rule.

A team in possession will earn another set via a tap-kick if they kick the ball from within their own 20-metre zone and find touch within the opposing team's 40-metre line.

Under the change to the scrum rule, the team feeding the ball will have the option of setting the scrum at three locations – 10 metres or 20 metres from the sideline or in the centre of the field, in alignment with the black dot on the crossbar.

Teams will be given five seconds to inform the referee of their choice of scrum position.

stat-attack_20191206-4.jpg

The NRL has announced a change to the "mutual infringement" rule regarding incidents when the ball strikes a trainer or the referee. Previously, the loose head and feed would be awarded to whichever team "the attacking team (i.e. with territorial advantage)".

Under the new rule, the referee will be able to replay the previous play-the-ball in the event of play being irregularly affected by circumstances out of the players' control.

The act of tackling a player in mid-air will be banned whether the player initiating contact is the attacking player or the defending player, in line with the current international laws of the game.

The Commission agreed that further limitations should be placed on the time orange and blue shirt trainers could spend on the field. The specific constraints will be finalised prior to the February Commission meeting.

Additionally, the Commission recommended a trial be undertaken in the second-tier competitions to assess the impact of teams being required to use six players in a scrum even when down to 12 players.

There will be no changes to the scoring system for wins in extra time, which was discussed in the lead-up to the Commission meeting.

The approved changes followed discussion by the NRL Competition Committee and the coaches last month.

Greenberg said ensuring the quality of the sport as a spectacle was paramount to the thinking behind the changes.

"We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate, and is also innovative and unpredictable," Greenberg said.

We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate.

Todd Greenberg
"We certainly feel these changes will have a positive impact on the sport."

Annesley said the NRL had "taken advice and feedback from the key stakeholders of the game in order to make these decisions".

"There has been significant engagement with our fans, the Competition Committee as well as through the NRL coaches, the clubs, and the RLPA.

"Over 20,000 fans responded to an end-of-season survey, more than tripling the response to the 2018 online survey.

"We are constantly looking to evolve, and we believe these changes will lead to a more entertaining game for fans.

"The Competition Committee and the coaches all had the game as a spectacle at the heart of their discussions, along with other key considerations including player wellbeing and the impact on the sport at all levels, and that clearly aligns with the Commission's overall vision for the sport."

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/201...trainers-2040-kick-endorses-challenge-system/
Well not to be negative Nellie but I will...these are hardly significant changes or ones that are really needed or will be a big positive impact as Teflon Toddy puts it.
The scrum setting delay....another waste of time For the ref to ask and the team works out what they will do..probably asking the sideline. It will take longer than 5 seconds
The rest...so what..except trainers on the field....,great news
...they will probably reduce it from 80 to 75 minutes

Tackling in the air..I would of thought 4 sets of eyes could use commensense anyway and tell when someone is "tackled" in mid air in lieu of legitimately jumping to catch

What about the farce of blockers and running people off the ball..still rife in the game.
So wrestling and ruck stalling tactics..all good
Interchange....all good
Refs taking to long to call "held"
Time wasting in all areas..ref chats..slow down tactics....no problem there
Faking modest injury..to allow defenses to catch their breath...No problem there
The captains general play challenge....how far can they take it and what can be challenged...the game could take longer?..I'm dubious about this in making more delays
eg. that canberra GF 6th tackle restart decision debacle. If they challenged that how long would it take to decide and what would be the result after waiting 2-3 minutes?
there is more...no need to go on... the important issues have been left untouched mainly.
Whinge over!

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Make scrums contested again.

And have the rule whoever forms the scrum has to stay in it..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m pretty sure that’s already a rule?
Indeed.. but it’s moot when it’s not a contested scrum...

I’m envisioning a team trying to quickly stop the clock by forming a scrum with their quickest players (eg wingers, fullback etc) but then having to contest up against the other team’s forward pack..

Contested scrums would bring back a little more unpredictability..

SBD82

Coach

I’m envisioning a team trying to quickly stop the clock by forming a scrum with their quickest players (eg wingers, fullback etc) but then having to contest up against the other team’s forward pack..

Ah.... yep. The sides with little backs would struggle.

Bring back the old Tim Sheens selection policy: play backrowers in every position on the field

grouch

First Grade

Scrums are boring as shit. No thanks.

grouch

First Grade
Well not to be negative Nellie but I will...these are hardly significant changes or ones that are really needed or will be a big positive impact as Teflon Toddy puts it.
The scrum setting delay....another waste of time For the ref to ask and the team works out what they will do..probably asking the sideline. It will take longer than 5 seconds
The rest...so what..except trainers on the field....,great news
...they will probably reduce it from 80 to 75 minutes

Tackling in the air..I would of thought 4 sets of eyes could use commensense anyway and tell when someone is "tackled" in mid air in lieu of legitimately jumping to catch

What about the farce of blockers and running people off the ball..still rife in the game.
So wrestling and ruck stalling tactics..all good
Interchange....all good
Refs taking to long to call "held"
Time wasting in all areas..ref chats..slow down tactics....no problem there
Faking modest injury..to allow defenses to catch their breath...No problem there
The captains general play challenge....how far can they take it and what can be challenged...the game could take longer?..I'm dubious about this in making more delays
eg. that canberra GF 6th tackle restart decision debacle. If they challenged that how long would it take to decide and what would be the result after waiting 2-3 minutes?
there is more...no need to go on... the important issues have been left untouched mainly.
Whinge over!
Good whinge. I agree. The 20/40 rule seems the stupidest of all. Why would you encourage more kicking? Teams are now even less likely to throw the ball around in their own 20. It also punishes teams who work hard to dominate field position which is a key tenet of this game. Just dumb

62baby

Juniors
I'm sick of watching teams get marched from end to end based on the refs opinion of ruck speed at a particular moment. Re-starting the count for ruck infringments should be penalty enough without a free walk to the opposite end. Game is fast enough.

TruSaint

Referee
They say players are 80 minutes players,bull the ball is only in play for 50 to 60 minutes.
Scrums are too slow to pack,dropouts the same.
Because we have to wait for c9 for a friggin commercial.

Great point. After a game, go on the nrl site and click on stats and you will see "time" each team had with the ball. I recall last season one game had ball in play at a collective 47 minutes. Ridiculous.

Coffs dragon

Bench
FFS they have changed the rules so many times over the years, that it no longer resembles the game I fell in love with as a young kid.
I wish they'd just revert back to 1 Ref , Forwards only in scrums, No Golden Point, Limit the interchange and bring back the biff.....not this face slapping shit and piss this wrestling crap right out of the game. Rant over!

BLM01

First Grade
Good whinge. I agree. The 20/40 rule seems the stupidest of all. Why would you encourage more kicking? Teams are now even less likely to throw the ball around in their own 20. It also punishes teams who work hard to dominate field position which is a key tenet of this game. Just dumb
Lip service from the NRL.
While ever they have coaches, people on boards at clubs and TV commentators to sanction rule changes we will never get big or the correct changes cause those affect them personally in ways behind the scenes.
That is what an independant commission should be for to independantly make decisions for the better of the game with its own administrators, not sit their do nothing and sign off basically waiting for suggestions whilst making good money and be shown to be PC orientated.

draco

Juniors
FFS they have changed the rules so many times over the years, that it no longer resembles the game I fell in love with as a young kid.

Totally agree.

Greenburg says "We are constantly looking to evolve, and we believe these changes will lead to a more entertaining game for fans.

Heading for the hybrid game are we?

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I wish they'd just revert back to 1 Ref , Forwards only in scrums, No Golden Point, Limit the interchange and bring back the biff.....not this face slapping shit and piss this wrestling crap right out of the game. Rant over!

All very good points, Coffs ............. hence the reason nothing will change.
We use to have forwards ............ and backs, of different sizes.

Now we have every bugger over 6ft high, who can and will play anywhere.

A bit like Bathhurst.
We use to have big cars, small car ( classes ) fast cars and little slower cars .......... and it was a great and interesting race.

Now we have all cars with exactly the same engines, same car weights, same everything ..... Boring!

NRL has followed suit.

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
Is there another professional code that changes rules / regulations so often ? Maybe there is, but I cant think of one.

They cant even enforce the rules they have now, or use the technology at their disposal, let alone make changes a few months out from pre season games.

Latest posts