What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Signings for 2020 and future looking team

getsmarty

Immortal
Feeling the heat: Nine NRL coaches under pressure ahead of 2020
NRL Premiership
john_dean.jpg

3e1edff598f70fde903eb3310969fb15

A number of coaches will be feeling the heat ahead of the 2020 NRL season.Source: FOX SPORTS
Every coach in the NRL is under pressure to get their teams performing, but there are a few who might be feeling the heat a little more than their counterparts heading into the 2020 season.

From premiership-winning mentors to rookie NRL coaches, these are the men who need their clubs to fire in 2020.

PAUL McGREGOR (Dragons)

Next season will likely be make or break for McGregor at the Red V.

St George Illawarra are coming off their worst ever finish as a joint venture (15th), and as a result, a host of coaching changes have been made to ensure it doesn’t happen again.

The club leaked the second most points in 2019, while continual changes to the spine and outside backs due to injury and form never allowed the side to flourish.

McGregor is back from a leadership camp in the United States and knows the knives will be out for him if his side gets off to a slow start in 2020.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...n/news-story/aff5460b7b0f8326d34695eacb5141be

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Having a look at our current list, we are definitely moving in a different direction than in previous years. I still see 2020 as a sort of gap year, but here's hoping for some further changes that will have a positive effect on the team and fans.
As we stand at present:

Players whose contracts expire at the end of 2020: (14 players)
Aitken, JDB, Ford, Frizell, Graham, Host, Kerr, Lafai, Lovodua, Luke, Pearson, Ravalawa, Sailor, Clune.
Of that list I think we will re-sign:
Ford, Frizell, Kerr, Lovodua, Sailor.
They may look at re-signing Clune and either 1 of Pearson or Ravalawa. JDB still remains in limbo until his court case in February.

Players whose contracts (currently) expire at the end of 2021: (8 players).
Blacker, Dufty, Merrin, Norman, Periera, K. Sims, Feagai x2

Players whose contracts (currently) expire at the end of 2022 or further: (7 players)
Hunt, Lawrie, Saab, T.Sims, Vaughan (PO), SSE, Sullivan.

Add to this we have some very good youngsters coming through in: Gale, Wishart, Ramsey, Schiller, O'Ofou, Bazazz, Sloan to name a few. So our future has some light at the end of the very dark tunnel.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yep correct. Millward solved our halfback problem and did most of the work to give us an Origin calibre forward pack.

Our weakness was wing and centre, but we had Garrick, Herbert, Marsters and Lomax in our books. But our useless coaching staff weren't able to bring any of them through.

It took Garrick and Herbert to piss off to finally get anywhere and both did quite well, especially Garrick.

Millward solved our half back problem- really?- Hunt earns a kings ransom and splutters rather than fires consistently and there are many good judges who think he is a better hooker than a half.

I would put Norman in the overrated category/using up a big chunk of our salary cap as well (along with Graham, Aitken and Lafai). Millward has to take responsibility for these poor decisions which are badly impacting on our ability to recruit well for 2020.

Having said that, Millward can't be blamed for the club's TPA debacle where figures I saw revealed we had the third lowest TPA usage in the NRL. If Nick Politis can enable the Roosters to purchase quality players with TPAs, why can't our Billionaire private owners do more to enable the recruitment of the Jessie Ramiens, Dallin Watene Zelezniaks and co when they come onto the market? Even allowing for the lead in the saddle Mary represents, we should be able to get some better recruits than no name Williame and past use by date Merrin

giboz71

First Grade
Millward solved our half back problem- really?- Hunt earns a kings ransom and splutters rather than fires consistently and there are many good judges who think he is a better hooker than a half.

I would put Norman in the overrated category/using up a big chunk of our salary cap as well (along with Graham, Aitken and Lafai). Millward has to take responsibility for these poor decisions which are badly impacting on our ability to recruit well for 2020.

Having said that, Millward can't be blamed for the club's TPA debacle where figures I saw revealed we had the third lowest TPA usage in the NRL. If Nick Politis can enable the Roosters to purchase quality players with TPAs, why can't our Billionaire private owners do more to enable the recruitment of the Jessie Ramiens, Dallin Watene Zelezniaks and co when they come onto the market? Even allowing for the lead in the saddle Mary represents, we should be able to get some better recruits than no name Williame and past use by date Merrin

Hence I said 17, 18 and 19 was our window. But Mary did zero with the squad.

When you go all in chasing big names and spending big for consecutive years, it will eventually bite you in the arse.

That’s why 2020 won’t see us nab any big names.

BLM01

First Grade
Hence I said 17, 18 and 19 was our window. But Mary did zero with the squad.

When you go all in chasing big names and spending big for consecutive years, it will eventually bite you in the arse.

That’s why 2020 won’t see us nab any big names.

Exactly. The 1st grade team we had ready to rumble in 17,18 & 19 and now 20 have Mary's footprint all over it.
People forget Millward only got the job in early 16 and was under pressure including by the coach to improve the squad quickly after our 2nd worst year since Mary was in charge which was 2016.
Millward had pretty quickly achieved that to a point in 2018..we did have a squad to win it...however the lack of innovation and changing up of game plans from a blind numb coach who thought nothing could go wrong when we had no injuries, won the first 6 games of that year and then went on to beat the Roosters and Melb to be 8 wins from 9 after being unlucky in part to lose to the warriors in Round 7 who also started the season with a bang.
But the cracks were appearing in our game plans both attack and defence and nothing was done to address it cause some of those early wins were the opposition playing that bad and riddled with errors and had not got their seasons going yet (i.e Cronulla, Souths etc)
Now we are where we are because of Mary's coaching (nothing else) and inability to accept, visualise, embrace or identify where change was needed in our play book.
Millward has to balance the books with what we got. 2021 will be a vast improved squad and hopefully coaching structure.

George Dragon

Juniors
Having a look at our current list, we are definitely moving in a different direction than in previous years. I still see 2020 as a sort of gap year, but here's hoping for some further changes that will have a positive effect on the team and fans.
As we stand at present:

Players whose contracts expire at the end of 2020: (14 players)
Aitken, JDB, Ford, Frizell, Graham, Host, Kerr, Lafai, Lovodua, Luke, Pearson, Ravalawa, Sailor, Clune.
Of that list I think we will re-sign:
Ford, Frizell, Kerr, Lovodua, Sailor.
They may look at re-signing Clune and either 1 of Pearson or Ravalawa. JDB still remains in limbo until his court case in February.

Players whose contracts (currently) expire at the end of 2021: (8 players).
Blacker, Dufty, Merrin, Norman, Periera, K. Sims, Feagai x2

Players whose contracts (currently) expire at the end of 2022 or further: (7 players)
Hunt, Lawrie, Saab, T.Sims, Vaughan (PO), SSE, Sullivan.

Add to this we have some very good youngsters coming through in: Gale, Wishart, Ramsey, Schiller, O'Ofou, Bazazz, Sloan to name a few. So our future has some light at the end of the very dark tunnel.
You missed an important player who will have a C after his name.

True_Believer

Juniors
Exactly. The 1st grade team we had ready to rumble in 17,18 & 19 and now 20 have Mary's footprint all over it.
People forget Millward only got the job in early 16 and was under pressure including by the coach to improve the squad quickly after our 2nd worst year since Mary was in charge which was 2016.
Millward had pretty quickly achieved that to a point in 2018..we did have a squad to win it...however the lack of innovation and changing up of game plans from a blind numb coach who thought nothing could go wrong when we had no injuries, won the first 6 games of that year and then went on to beat the Roosters and Melb to be 8 wins from 9 after being unlucky in part to lose to the warriors in Round 7 who also started the season with a bang.
But the cracks were appearing in our game plans both attack and defence and nothing was done to address it cause some of those early wins were the opposition playing that bad and riddled with errors and had not got their seasons going yet (i.e Cronulla, Souths etc)
Now we are where we are because of Mary's coaching (nothing else) and inability to accept, visualise, embrace or identify where change was needed in our play book.
Millward has to balance the books with what we got. 2021 will be a vast improved squad and hopefully coaching structure.

*Drops the mic*.

Close the forum. BLM has left the building.

BLM01

First Grade
*Drops the mic*.

Close the forum. BLM has left the building.
"Picks up the mic". BLM re-enters the building for about another fortnight as have unfinished business on here and awaiting at least 1 more positive announcement from our illustrious club...until going on hols for a few weeks
when I will wish all other forumers a Merry Xmas & Happy New Year...if not before :);)

Time to cool down, refresh, recharge, replenish and forget about about Mary for a month or so...until our trials start.....unless he is no longer there!!!!

Last edited:
"Picks up the mic". BLM re-enters the building for about another fortnight as have unfinished business on here and awaiting at least 1 more positive announcement from our illustrious club...until going on hols for a few weeks
when I will wish all other forumers a Merry Xmas & Happy New Year...if not before :);)

Time to cool down, refresh, recharge, replenish and forget about about Mary for a month or so...until our trials start.....unless he is no longer there!!!!
israel Folau just won his court case so he may come onto the league market. He is an athlete.

nontime111

Juniors
back to a FUTURE team...

IF they all come good as first grade players we could have a total PEAK team so soon

Schiller
Ramsey? Saab
Lomax
Matt Feagai
Sloan? Max Feagai
Sailor
Sullivan

Last edited:

nontime111

Juniors
No room for Silverman!
CC
as it turns I DID leave out our Silverman to go on TOP of al those other potentials...

I have to say after seeing many clips now and games...the FEAGAI lads
BOTH of them are AWESOME!! I used to think Matt was better but Max is just a total FREAK!! both so fast too one more well built but there gonna be hard to keep out them both check this out, the SPEED of both too!

Frank Facer

First Grade
as it turns I DID leave out our Silverman to go on TOP of al those other potentials...

I have to say after seeing many clips now and games...the FEAGAI lads
BOTH of them are AWESOME!! I used to think Matt was better but Max is just a total FREAK!! both so fast too one more well built but there gonna be hard to keep out them both check this out, the SPEED of both too!

I actually watched the exact same video last night or the night before.

nontime111

Juniors
Ive heard that these two, slong with the total GENIUS of the superb total weapon and rolls royce halfback SULLIVAN are closer to first grade way more than any else of the young brigade, wow, love to see it earlier rather than later on my screen here in WA! speed!! finally , safe hands, great under kicks very slick ball players with great passing games, also pretty crunching defence theyll have anyone in the backline nervous about holding their position from the start, love to see Max here and Saaby as the 2 wingers from round 1, just the SPEED there! athletes, naturals...man weve had some crap wingers since Flo

Last edited: