What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

yobbo84

First Grade
https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2019/12/06/rabbitohs-welcome-nrls-decision-on-salary-cap/

The South Sydney Rabbitohs welcome the determination from the NRL today that the remainder of Sam Burgess’ contract will be exempt from the Club’s salary cap for 2020 and beyond under PCR Rule 86 (Medical Termination).

The Rabbitohs thank the NRL and its Salary Cap Auditors for its patience throughout the application process.

Whilst disappointed that Sam is no longer able to take the field for South Sydney due to injury, the Club looks forward to moving on towards season 2020.

giphy.gif

Tiger5150

Bench
Because it would need to be independently medically sanctioned. In GI's case he would have been allowed off the cap unless he had been deemed mentally unfit to play ever again (a much more grey area admittedly than a physical injury situation)

Just make it black and white and lets see if it works.

I said “pull a GI”. No medical context. No injury, no mental health issues according to GI. Did his salary count on the cap?

genuinely can’t be arsed repeating the same thing over and over.

Tiger5150

Bench
NRL decision today

"The South Sydney Rabbitohs welcome the determination from the NRL today that the remainder of Sam Burgess’ contract will be exempt from the Club’s salary cap for 2020 and beyond under PCR Rule 86 (Medical Termination)."

I’m shocked. SHOCKED I tell you!

Now for the dopes that thought the $360k PA job offer to Sam was in order to get round the NRL need for medical decision. Get real.

Again the $360k PA for 10 years is an agreed way with Sam , for Souths to be able to meet their contract commitment to him ( of $1.2m pa for 3 years) without causing Souths cash flow issues and also to give Sam an ongoing job/career with Souths. A Win Win for both .

Win/win? A win for Souffs. Did Sam have some problem whereby getting $3.6M over 3 years was all too much at once? I bet Sam is at home thinking “Thank God I’m not going to see some of that money for another 10 years and I’m going to have to work for 10 years now instead of 3. “

Galeforce

Bench
I’m shocked. SHOCKED I tell you!

Win/win? A win for Souffs. Did Sam have some problem whereby getting $3.6M over 3 years
was all too much at once? I bet Sam is at home thinking “Thank God I’m not going to see some of that money for another 10 years and I’m going to have to work for 10 years now instead of 3. “

Some people like the idea of working and learning a career . Looks like you do not.
Also Who knows ? a divorce can be tricky
Anyhow , I have had enough of trying to spell , GET REAL to you.lesson over

Springs09

Juniors
So now instead of Sammy getting $1.2m to play footy, he gets $3.6m to do nothing, which counts towards nothing. And we need more player welfare they say. More little millionaire footballers getting paid millions to retire.

And local clubs need to apply for government grants to keep afloat. Joke of a f**king organisation the NRL is.

SBD82

Coach
So now instead of Sammy getting $1.2m to play footy, he gets $3.6m to do nothing, which counts towards nothing. And we need more player welfare they say. More little millionaire footballers getting paid millions to retire.

And local clubs need to apply for government grants to keep afloat. Joke of a f**king organisation the NRL is.
I’ve got zero problem with Sam being paid the $$’s for his contract. His injury was either directly or indirectly a result of playing rugby league, and imo he should be compensated like any other workplace.

If it’s a legit medical retirement, insurance should sort it out.

My issue is that it appears that souffs have offered Sam the job as a sweetener for him to go along with the medical retirement. If it was legit he should have just been paid out.

Hope he takes the job, then sues them for the difference in earnings for the first 3 years.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
It’s not that they don’t want to work, it’s just that they think it’s perfectly reasonable to expect an entry level job that requires no previous experience that pays $360k pa.
But only if said entry level position is at a certain facility on Anzac parade in Kingsford...

Springs09

Juniors
I’ve got zero problem with Sam being paid the $$’s for his contract. His injury was either directly or indirectly a result of playing rugby league, and imo he should be compensated like any other workplace.

If it’s a legit medical retirement, insurance should sort it out.

My issue is that it appears that souffs have offered Sam the job as a sweetener for him to go along with the medical retirement. If it was legit he should have just been paid out.

Hope he takes the job, then sues them for the difference in earnings for the first 3 years.

Yeah he should be compensated by insurance, like I get compensated by insurance if I get hurt playing footy or I get worker's comp if I get hurt on the job. Workers comp is rarely a full salary though, and I get $300 a fortnight only if I get injured bad enough that I'm still off work after 4 weeks.

He should not be paid $3.6m directly by Souths for doing nothing and having it not count on the cap. If he's still contracted, it goes on the cap. If he's not contracted, he doesn't get paid - he gets an insurance payout.

Latest posts