What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

Springs09

Juniors
Good point.
Really the only use for this is if you've had 4 tackles in your end and still somehow haven't crossed the 20, and you're totally desperate.
If you've got more than 1 tackle in hand, you would obviously try to gain another 15-20m and go for the 40-20
It's an extremely high risk play with a mediocre reward.
3 outcomes -
1 - you kick it a lot shorter than you would have just going long and straight, losing valuable position
2 - you kick it out on the full, giving the opposition a very good scoring chance
3 - you succeed, and get an attacking set 40m out, so not even that close.

And why would wingers bother dropping for such a low % play? Even if they nail it, still got 40m to defend the reset.

Exactly, its pretty much for situations where a team is trapped in their own 20 after 4 tackles, which might happen once or twice a game.

No team with any kind of common sense is going to attempt a 20/40 after 2 tackles with the likely outcome being their opponents getting into their half on tackle 1, and only on rare occasions will any team attempt a 20/40 on tackle 4 when you can try and gain another 10m and kick it deep and try and trap the opposite team in their 20 or 30.

It's too low a percentage play to try it in any feasible way, and just screams that the admins have no idea about actually playing the game

SBD82

Coach
These new rules are to encourage more attacking football that the game desperately needs. The casual viewer, who the game is loosing, doesn't tune in to watch defence and 5 hit ups and a kick.
I think that the intention of the rule is to encourage attacking football coming off your line. The idea being that wingers will need to drop back and the defence will therefore be unable to use a compressed defense.

The problem is that this will make dummy half runs more effective. Remember when it was spruiked that a faster play the ball would encourage attacking football? It didn’t. It just meant more dummy half runs. My fear is that this rule will have the same effect.

Springs09

Juniors
That's too adventurous and forward thinking for any NRL coach to try. Maybe the Walker Brothers are the exception.

Its like the old days when scrums were 50/50. If a team had a dominate scrum they could of intentionally knocked on every 5th tackle and get the ball back in the scrum. Did a coach ever try this? Nope.

No, because deliberate knock-ons are a penalty, just like deliberate forward passes.

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
We are constantly looking at ways to ensure the game is easier to officiate.

Yes exactly, read "officiate the game easier", not officiate the game better. This tackling in the air rule is gonna make the NRL look real stupid when Tupou, Graham and Oates are 1, 2 and 3 for tries.

T-Boon

Coach
Have these changes come in or are they being considered?
I’d look it up but I am in a meeting. I would wait till the end of the meeting to look it up but as you can imagine I am pretty dang excited.
I will have you all know that I am probably responsible for all of these changes via an email I sent to the powers that be over 2 months ago.

unforgiven

Bench
Also there should be no major rule changes without RLIF sanction and global adoption. We are heading down a path where there wont be Rugby League as a sport, just variations depending on which comp you play in.
The 2 major leagues have implemented their own rules for 110 years, that is how our sport evolved!

Vee

First Grade
No you can’t. The person who is the tap taker must kick it. This has always been an optional restart and only has to go out for the scrum feed to go with the attacker.
Amazes me that it is not done more often. It's like the teams don't know the rule or something.

Last edited:

TheVelourFog

First Grade
good changes

i'm a fan

lol at 100 tRiEs a GAmE frOm kICks

defenders will have to actually jump for the ball now instead of trying to create a human maze to run through

T-Boon

Coach
Most of the players are thick. Plus, coaches want them to play mistake free - low risk football.

It is one of the real indicators or how risk averse the coaches are and how sick the game is. There is something wrong with the game if this is a rule that never gets utilised. The thing that is wrong with the game is the 10 metres makes it very easy to just get 30 or 40 metres in attack kicking long (without even any accuracy these days) and getting a completed set and field position without taking a single risk.

T-Boon

Coach
20/40 is a great rule change and I do think we could see a few attempted and a few that are successful.

One reason that 40/20 attempts are hardly ever successful is that the target is so small. You either don't make the 20 or if you do it goes dead in goal. 20/40 obviously has a much larger target area so the likelihood of kicking it too big is way way lower.

Players who can kick big and accurate should be rewarded.

I love it.

jim_57

Staff member
The 20/40 rule could be a sneaky way to get cheap metres off a 20 metre restart. Just quickly tap the ball, and pass it to a kicker who belts it downfield before the defensive team is ready. Then you get another set starting in the oppositions half.

There has always been a rule where you can just kick for touch instead of tapping for a 20m restart anyway. If it bounces in to touch anywhere past 10m you get the ball back.

I remember Brent Sherwin used to try it a fair bit.

T-Boon

Coach
There has always been a rule where you can just kick for touch instead of tapping for a 20m restart anyway. If it bounces in to touch anywhere past 10m you get the ball back.

I remember Brent Sherwin used to try it a fair bit.

I would say that rule has been well killed off by the 7 tackle set. Why would you attempt that when you can just tuck it under the arm and hit it up for 6 tackles and be inside the opposition 40?

taste2taste

Juniors
Disappointed there's no attempt to stop the wrestle. If the NRL wanted rules to open up attack they need to stop the wrestle and quicken the play the ball.

Surely the refs calling held sooner, before the unnecessary 3rd and 4th tackler came in would fix that :/

Mr Spock!

Referee
Tackling player in the air rule change is idiotic.

We will also see some NFL style jump over defence or fullback plays as cant tackle them "in the air".

Does the rule say following a kick, or that the player lands in a dangerous manner.

Your going to tackle them vs concede a try, and concede the penalty.
Penalty try!

Or professional foul...

Take your pick

Smack

Coach
The Commission agreed that further limitations should be placed on the time orange and blue shirt trainers could spend on the field. The specific constraints will be finalised prior to the February Commission meeting.

well thank f**k for that, sick of seeing these merkins on the field all game

LeagueXIII

First Grade
The Commission agreed that further limitations should be placed on the time orange and blue shirt trainers could spend on the field. The specific constraints will be finalised prior to the February Commission meeting.

well thank f**k for that, sick of seeing these merkins on the field all game

Yes...time for Langer to stay on the bench and let the players think for themselves, that's why we have captains.

Latest posts