What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess retires

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
Some clubs, when they go bust after decades of uselessness and poor management, just find two fairy godmothers who buy them outright. Ive heard thats always an option.
Would these two fairy godmothers subsequently market the club as a bunch of battlers despite copying the business model of their neighbours who are also rolling in cash and questionable third party agreements?

Tiger5150

Bench
Would these two fairy godmothers subsequently market the club as a bunch of battlers despite copying the business model of their neighbours who are also rolling in cash and questionable third party agreements?

Probably, after sending their own leagues club broke.

Pommy

Coach

a business marketing to its strengths? We don’t want witchcraft like that in the NRL.
Why have a well run business when you can have a total shit show as is very in vogue outside of the south/eastern Sydney.

sensesmaybenumbed

Staff member
a business marketing to its strengths? We don’t want witchcraft like that in the NRL.
Why have a well run business when you can have a total shit show as is very in vogue outside of the south/eastern Sydney.
Its strengths? Becoming everything they say they're not?

Pommy

Coach
Its strengths? Becoming everything they say they're not?

That’s pretty much what all successful businesses do. Do you really think all these big corporations give a toss about LGBTIZ issues or being green?
We know what happens if you run the club to be what they say it is.
It feels like you’re trying to get a reaction out of me but as a newish fan it’s been clear me exactly what the go was from day one.

wazdog

Juniors

Yeah we followed their membership funding model. Oh wait...

We actually followed the AFL funding model (Collingwood in particular I think) built off membership income being a large portion of our revenue. You can laugh all you want that our membership numbers and crowds are proportionally out of whack or keyboard warriors claims that our c. 100 odd pet members are inflating our numbers but the proof is in the financials.

We are the only club in the NRL that turns over a profit without the need of a single cent of pokie money. This will change once everyone releases this years financials however that is a result of the NRL grant being more than the salary cap now.

Our owners haven't injected cash into the club for a while now. From memory the only thing was a forgiveness of loans back in 2015. In the same time the NRL has given loans to the Dragons, Tigpies, Titans and the Knights.

wazdog

Juniors
Also if you're wondering why Souths are allegedly paying him over 10 years I have a theory.

Burgess has been medically retired which means he still needs to be paid his contract term out. However, the NRL introduced a self-insurance scheme back in 2017 which means this injury would be covered by the fund.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cl...heme-for-injured-players-20171024-gz7cra.html

Also the NRL may have a separate arrangement with clubs about the way to access these funds (which hasn't been reported anywhere). It really depends on how much risk the clubs take on and whether they choose to reinsure that elsewhere or take on the risk themselves.

It looks like we've taken on the risk directly and have agreed to pay his contract over a term to also transition him to a career post football.

Tiger5150

Bench
Also if you're wondering why Souths are allegedly paying him over 10 years I have a theory.

Burgess has been medically retired which means he still needs to be paid his contract term out. However, the NRL introduced a self-insurance scheme back in 2017 which means this injury would be covered by the fund.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/cl...heme-for-injured-players-20171024-gz7cra.html

Also the NRL may have a separate arrangement with clubs about the way to access these funds (which hasn't been reported anywhere). It really depends on how much risk the clubs take on and whether they choose to reinsure that elsewhere or take on the risk themselves.

It looks like we've taken on the risk directly and have agreed to pay his contract over a term to also transition him to a career post football.

I have a theory as well that overlaps with yours. Actually thats not true, my first theory was that it was explicitly to avoid the cap, but lets assume thats not correct, my next theory is that Souths effectively have not insured Sam at all (so I guess by extension that is self insurance). I mean I dont think there is either a policy or a fund available for this payment and that is why the 10year plan has come about.

Other clubs have a policy and insurance company pays.

Yeah we followed their membership funding model. Oh wait...

We actually followed the AFL funding model (Collingwood in particular I think) built off membership income being a large portion of our revenue. You can laugh all you want that our membership numbers and crowds are proportionally out of whack or keyboard warriors claims that our c. 100 odd pet members are inflating our numbers but the proof is in the financials.

We are the only club in the NRL that turns over a profit without the need of a single cent of pokie money. This will change once everyone releases this years financials however that is a result of the NRL grant being more than the salary cap now.

Our owners haven't injected cash into the club for a while now. From memory the only thing was a forgiveness of loans back in 2015. In the same time the NRL has given loans to the Dragons, Tigpies, Titans and the Knights.

You guys are happy to let Souths Juniors fund and develop all your juniors on massive pokey dollars while the seniors and their fans take some faux moral high ground

wazdog

Juniors
You guys are happy to let Souths Juniors fund and develop all your juniors on massive pokey dollars while the seniors and their fans take some faux moral high ground

Not denying that at all. It still happens.

We couldn't afford to fund the ISP and Flegg directly without the assistance from the Juniors which is why we outsourced it to Norths. However, we are now better placed this year which is why we bought it in house with help from the Juniors. Once we move to Heffron we will have a further $1m in rental savings which will no doubt go to further funding our Juniors.

You can't just remove a revenue stream from a club. It needs to be done progressively and I believe we are ahead of the curve here.

As an example East Leagues tipped in $2.3m to the Football Club operations last year to break even. You can't tell me that the bulk of that was for development of your junior leagues?

Not denying that at all. It still happens.

We couldn't afford to fund the ISP and Flegg directly without the assistance from the Juniors which is why we outsourced it to Norths. However, we are now better placed this year which is why we bought it in house with help from the Juniors. Once we move to Heffron we will have a further $1m in rental savings which will no doubt go to further funding our Juniors.

You can't just remove a revenue stream from a club. It needs to be done progressively and I believe we are ahead of the curve here.

As an example East Leagues tipped in $2.3m to the Football Club operations last year to break even. You can't tell me that the bulk of that was for development of your junior leagues?

To be fair, not much would be needed.
I think you will also continue to get support from the Juniors and they will continue to have the same funding model

Sparkles 2001

Juniors
No, i'm a Titans fan.

I’m just referring to a few of your posts, one that starts with “Sia and Hodgson have been f**king brilliant for us”
So it’s all good bud that you support the boys in green. Now that we’ve established that I can start to really get into the core of the raiders fans and see how everyone’s holding up after Octobers events. What’s the latest with Jacky boi?

nick87

Coach
I’m just referring to a few of your posts, one that starts with “Sia and Hodgson have been f**king brilliant for us”
So it’s all good bud that you support the boys in green. Now that we’ve established that I can start to really get into the core of the raiders fans and see how everyone’s holding up after Octobers events. What’s the latest with Jacky boi?

I dont know who Jacky Boi is what he has to do with my team? Unless the Eels are trying to sign him? Whoever he is.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors

I can assure you that not all Rabbitoh fans supports Crowes “faux moral high ground” as you put it

I suggest you don’t lumber us all in the same basket. I certainly hate it and it totally lacks any vision.

in fact I will go so far as to say there were “other reasons” why the Chalmers Street Club ceased to trade

This Year?

Immortal
Now that Big Sam is retired he can pursue his true passion in elocution of commentary for either Ch9 or Fox. I'm going to miss his fumbles, ref intimidation and high shots.

On a serious note, it's sad when a player retires before his time and I'm sure Souths will give their hero the send off worthy of a champion. I will never forget him playing in a winning grand final with a broken cheek bone and thank christ I won't have to see him run roughshod over my club's forwards again.

The change of dynamic in Souths forward pack will be interesting to see.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Now that Big Sam is retired he can pursue his true passion in elocution of commentary for either Ch9 or Fox. I'm going to miss his fumbles, ref intimidation and high shots.

On a serious note, it's sad when a player retires before his time and I'm sure Souths will give their hero the send off worthy of a champion. I will never forget him playing in a winning grand final with a broken cheek bone and thank christ I won't have to see him run roughshod over my club's forwards again.

The change of dynamic in Souths forward pack will be interesting to see.

He’s irreplaceable but Jai Arrow will help:fingers_crossed:

Latest posts