What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

Mr Spock!

Referee
Indeed. Its been in the rules for decades. One of Brett Finch's first stuff ups was trying to do it in 2002 for the raiders against Newcastle - he kicked it out on the full and the Knights won the game on the ensuing penalty when Andrew Johns kicked a penalty goal.
Ricky Stuart did it for the Raiders against Souths. Kicked the 30m restart out instead of tapping it. Took the tap restart and kicked a field goal to win the game.

You just know the stupid mid-air rule has come from a recommendation about health and safety or some BS.. there can't be any other reason other than sheer stupidity.

Vunivalu might want to reconsider switching to the ARU now.. who's going to stop him when he's had a 20m run-up?
Well of course it is, it's not a good look being able to tackle ppl in the air, you're not allowed to tackle ppl in the air in RU, and ppl like Liam Williams and Anthony Watson aren't scoring tries every time they get into the oppositions 22. #WatchRLandRU

unforgiven

Bench
Not sure about that. I do recall new rules did infact go to the international board and get voted on.

They vote on changes to the international rules but each league has the authority to make changes to laws in their league.

The Northern Rugby Football Union inherited the existing laws of rugby football, as played until that time by its member clubs. The NRFU immediately made changes. In addition to the time before 1948 when an international governing body was established, members of the International Federation and its predecessors have had the authority to make significant changes to the Laws applied within their jurisdiction.

Notice the rules implemented by the individual leagues since the creation of Rugby League! Most major rules changes were implemented by one of the leagues and then adopted by the other!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_league#History_of_changes_to_the_Laws

Last edited:

flippikat

Bench
Notice the rules implemented by the individual leagues since the creation of Rugby League! Most major rules changes were implemented by one of the leagues and then adopted by the other!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laws_of_rugby_league#History_of_changes_to_the_Laws

It's certainly an interesting contrast to Rugby Union, where the IRB/World Rugby keep a firm control over the rules in every jurisdiction.. and everything is standardised, apart from the odd exception where a local competition is given authority to trial "experimental rules" which may be adopted globally if they work.

unforgiven

Bench
It's certainly an interesting contrast to Rugby Union, where the IRB/World Rugby keep a firm control over the rules in every jurisdiction.. and everything is standardised, apart from the odd exception where a local competition is given authority to trial "experimental rules" which may be adopted globally if they work.
It's a system that led to Rugby League being a significantly different game to Rugby Union, it is why Rugby League has evolved much quicker than Rugby Union. We have always had large rule changes that fundamentally changed the game and these rules were usually not implemented world wide at the same time!

jim_57

Staff member
I would say that rule has been well killed off by the 7 tackle set. Why would you attempt that when you can just tuck it under the arm and hit it up for 6 tackles and be inside the opposition 40?

Pretty much, just pointing out it was already a rule. There would be no point tapping first then kicking for touch.

Lambretta

First Grade
You are incorrect. The current NRL coaches on the NRL rules committee are Paul Green and Ivan Cleary. Robinson's term on the committee ended in 2017 and he did not re-nominate for election, nor did Michael Maguire who was on the committee from 2015 till 2017.

Wayne Bennett was on the committee till the end of 2015. In fact Maguire replaced Bennett as a member.

Coaches have had a say on the rules for years. In fact the committee which considers any changes has 2 NRL coaches elected to it, as this article lays out - https://www.nrl.com/news/2015/11/06/coaches-selected-for-competition-committee/

So expect people to keep repeating this is down to Politis and everyone to believe it without bothering to check

Its how we roll

T-Boon

Coach
In my opinion if they are going the way of outlawing the act of tackling a player when he is off the ground then they should basically outlaw bombs.
I would think about a rule that you cannot bomb on the 5th or 6th tackle. In other words if you want to do the bomb plays they have to be early in the tackle count.
Or maybe the rule could be if the defending team catches a kick on the full on the 5 or 6th tackle then it is a play the ball from the half way.

Dave's mate

Juniors
In my opinion if they are going the way of outlawing the act of tackling a player when he is off the ground then they should basically outlaw bombs.
I would think about a rule that you cannot bomb on the 5th or 6th tackle. In other words if you want to do the bomb plays they have to be early in the tackle count.
Or maybe the rule could be if the defending team catches a kick on the full on the 5 or 6th tackle then it is a play the ball from the half way.
Took you a few years but this is actually a reasonable idea

Canard

Immortal
good changes

i'm a fan

lol at 100 tRiEs a GAmE frOm kICks

defenders will have to actually jump for the ball now instead of trying to create a human maze to run through

But how will it be officiated?

Will defenders get penalised for farting in the direction of the attacker??

Coastbloke

Bench
Whether these rule changes make the game more attractive or not, I utterly oppose the NRL changing the games rules to suit themselves. The only organisation that should be able to change the rulebook is the RLIF/IRL. Greenberg and Beattie at the time should have raised these changes at the last IRL meeting. Those rules should then have been ratified by the board and then made public. It's incredibly arrogant..

flippikat

Bench
It's a system that led to Rugby League being a significantly different game to Rugby Union, it is why Rugby League has evolved much quicker than Rugby Union. We have always had large rule changes that fundamentally changed the game and these rules were usually not implemented world wide at the same time!

I suppose it makes it easier for Rugby League that there's only two major first-grade competitions globally.

I imagine if Rugby Union had a similar approach, then there would be different rules for Super Rugby, Heineken Cup, English Premiership, Currie Cup, Mitre 10 Cup, etc etc A real jumble.

BadnMean

Juniors
Took you a few years but this is actually a reasonable idea

WTF? Bringing in even more stupid rules to fix the first stupid rule is a good idea? You two should work for the NRL, you've got what it takes.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
They vote on changes to the international rules but each league has the authority to make changes to laws in their league.

I was referring to back in the 1980's and 90's. However I do think what you have said is correct.

Interestingly and something never mentioned is the sin bin introduced in Australia in 1981 but infact was introduced into French rugby league in the late 70's. Supports what you are saying unforgiven.

Latest posts