What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

Mr Spock!

Referee
So expect people to keep repeating this is down to Politis and everyone to believe it without bothering to check

Its how we roll
Politis and the broncos were behind 9/11, jfk assassination, area 51, the Harold holt disappearance, sinking of Titanic and they have elvis.

Mr Spock!

Referee
So I take it tackling a bloke in the air over the tryline=penalty try or at least a professional foul.

Why not just have them play in singlets and have a ball up.

T-Boon

Coach
WTF? Bringing in even more stupid rules to fix the first stupid rule is a good idea? You two should work for the NRL, you've got what it takes.

It is really this simply, trying to fix the way the game is played now (by conservative self interested coaches) requires rule changes. I am sick of 5 hit ups and a bomb - repeat.

If the NRL does not change rules the coaches just keep doing the same boring shit plus find little ways to cheat such as blocking tactics. Everyone has had a gut full of it. The game needs radical rule changes.

TheVelourFog

First Grade
But how will it be officiated?

Will defenders get penalised for farting in the direction of the attacker??

dunno mate

if they are trying to catch the ball then their arms wont be wrapped around the attacker, should be easy to a
spot

i realise nothing is easy with the refs we have so could be a clusterf**k but im sick of seeing 5 guys standing around trying to subtly block runners by sticking their fat arses out

siv

First Grade
So I take it tackling a bloke in the air over the tryline=penalty try or at least a professional foul.

Why not just have them play in singlets and have a ball up.

Was talking to a referee on this one

If a player catches the ball in a try scoring situation

AND is coming down ball first - legs in the air

You cannot stop a try

You can't even do a kid like catch them in the air.

It would be a penalty try or penalty and 10 min sin bin.

I dont know if stripping the ball would even be allowed as you would be touchong them. Maybe punching the ball without touching their hands ???

typicalfan

Coach
I am sure this was tried before and it didn't work.

This will create more attempts to block access to the ball, not less. Teams will train for it more.

Not sure if these rule changes will improve much.

T-Boon

Coach
While I hate the use of bombs in RL (as they are way over used), I do like cross field kicks to a free winger that have caught the defence off guard. Bombs should be risky for the kicking team. If the defence defuses the bomb by catching it they should get the play the ball from the half way.

franklin2323

Immortal
I am sure this was tried before and it didn't work.

This will create more attempts to block access to the ball, not less. Teams will train for it more.

Not sure if these rule changes will improve much.

not knowing how to line up in the scrum should help scrum plays.

20/40 might allow early spreading it if wingers stay back early

Mr Spock!

Referee
Was talking to a referee on this one

If a player catches the ball in a try scoring situation

AND is coming down ball first - legs in the air

You cannot stop a try

You can't even do a kid like catch them in the air.

It would be a penalty try or penalty and 10 min sin bin.

I dont know if stripping the ball would even be allowed as you would be touchong them. Maybe punching the ball without touching their hands ???
Basically catch a ball and dive and it would be unstoppable.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
The consenus seems to be, you will need NBA shaped players to play wing these days. Sort have for a long time really, the taller the better. Lightning speed can still combat, but short powerful and just quicker than a forward, not enough anymore, you must be able to jump well.

I am expecting Dugan and JMorris, we should be OK.

typicalfan

Coach
not knowing how to line up in the scrum should help scrum plays.

20/40 might allow early spreading it if wingers stay back early
Maybe that's true. How does that affect the scrum clock?Can the defending team just start packing anywhere along that line to stop the clock? How much time is used to move the scrum?

Reactions: siv

Springs09

Juniors
Whether these rule changes make the game more attractive or not, I utterly oppose the NRL changing the games rules to suit themselves. The only organisation that should be able to change the rulebook is the RLIF/IRL. Greenberg and Beattie at the time should have raised these changes at the last IRL meeting. Those rules should then have been ratified by the board and then made public. It's incredibly arrogant..

Similar to this, I don't think anyone that relies on TV money to sustain their competition should be making or changing rules. Rules should only be changed for the good of the entire game, not for the good of an entertainment product.

Canard

Immortal
I think the State League only rule of 6 man scrums always should have been adopted in the NRL.

This would see a bigger advantage afforded to teams with the extra man.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Maybe that's true. How does that affect the scrum clock?Can the defending team just start packing anywhere along that line to stop the clock? How much time is used to move the scrum?
stat-attack_20191206-4.jpg

I presume this will be the hookers, job.

The ref will show where to set, as they would now, same as normal from there.

Geez I like this one, on the coaches, but will probably just a have a prop run.

siv

First Grade
stat-attack_20191206-4.jpg

I presume this will be the hookers, job.

The ref will show where to set, as they would now, same as normal from there.

Geez I like this one, on the coaches, but will probably just a have a prop run.

I can see scrums moving back 10m mark for wide sweaping plays

Maybe mid field 10m out and staking one side of the field in attack

Last edited:

gerg

Juniors
While I hate the use of bombs in RL (as they are way over used), I do like cross field kicks to a free winger that have caught the defence off guard. Bombs should be risky for the kicking team. If the defence defuses the bomb by catching it they should get the play the ball from the half way.

Okay call me stupid for engaging, but who or what determines what is a bomb or just a chip kick.

The game should be doing things to make the refs job easier, not tossing out moronic variations dependant on stupid shit. Different rules on different tackles. There is a village somewhere in desperate need of your services.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I can see scrums moving back 10m mark for wide sweaping plays

Maybe mud field 10m out and staking one side of the field in attack
All I hope is that every 5/8, fullback, centre and winger got a big fat woody when they read that.

Every lock just went f**k, even more work.......

franklin2323

Immortal

said need to say in 5 secs where you want it. Hopefully brings more tactics into games