What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cricket Crap

undertaker

Coach
How embarrassing for the MCG.

26th is approaching fast. One more shit wicket till they are struck off the Test venue list right?
No.

Unfortunately no. Luckily for the MCG, the pitch for the Ashes test 2 years ago that was rated "poor" by the match referee was just days before the ICC implemented the demerit point system for pitches and ground conditions.

Fangs

Coach
No.

Unfortunately no. Luckily for the MCG, the pitch for the Ashes test 2 years ago that was rated "poor" by the match referee was just days before the ICC implemented the demerit point system for pitches and ground conditions.

Lol.

TheParraboy

Staff member
^^

Shane Warne offers up solution to pink ball woes in day-night Tests

Day-night Tests are still somewhat of a novelty and problems with the pink ball persist, but Shane Warne has an idea to fix the format’s big issue.

Shane Warne believes he has come up with a solution to pink balls becoming too soft, too quickly in day-night Test matches.

The former spin king, who continues to push for a day-night Boxing Day Test at his beloved MCG, wants two of the Kookaburra-produced pink balls in operation at all times.

One ball would be used at each end, as has been the case in all ODI matches for the past eight years.

It would be a first for Test cricket.

Warne believed his plan would minimise the difference between conditions during the afternoon and night sessions.

“The pink ball goes too soft. We heard the players say it goes really soft quickly,” Warne said.

“That’s why the game is so much dictated to bowling under lights in that last session.

“You could take that out of the equation (by having) a pink ball from both ends.

“The ball will swing and do stuff during the day a lot more, so it doesn’t become such an issue at night time.”

Australia is due to face India in a four-Test series next summer, preceded by a one-off Test against cricket minnows Afghanistan.

Debate is raging over which cities should host the sought-after India contests, with the schedule to be determined next year.

Doubts remain over whether India will agree to playing day-night Tests in Australia.

The pink ball is still a work in progress.Source:News Corp Australia

“I don’t think you need all day-night Test matches, but I think Melbourne would be fantastic for a Boxing Day Test match with 80-90,000 people there,” Warne said.

“I’d be making Adelaide and Melbourne the two day-nighters.

“Brisbane, Perth and Sydney; the pitches there are fantastic. They turn, they seam, they do all that stuff.

“Melbourne and Adelaide are the ones that can get a bit flat at times, so play them under lights.”

Mitchell Starc has a stellar record with the pink ball but has urged powerbrokers not to overdo day-night Tests, saying he still prefers traditional red-ball contests to five-day matches under floodlights.

“Don’t overdo it,” Starc said in Perth after defeating the Kiwis in the first Test.

“It’s great for cricket but I’m still a traditionalist at heart, so don’t take away too many from the red-ball game.

“We still find them (pink balls) going soft on the harder wickets at a certain point, perhaps a little bit sooner than the red-ball.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this interview, Warne also said he thought would be good opportunity for Riley Meredith to be added to the Boxing day test squad for experience

I have no problems having the MCG test as a D/N provided it is not the boxing day test, how about that Shane?

Last edited:
It would have to take a pitch like this one for the MCG to incur an automatic 12 month suspension

Hopefully the MCG curator can do it, then the Boxing Day Test can be relocated to another city. No way does it deserve to host it after the crap drop-in pitches it's dished up for years.

Wow I can’t remember that abandoned match at all.. facing Ambrose would be hard enough on a road, but on that - geezus..

He's just a rare unit, is Harry. An odd cat

I went to the Adelaide Oval to watch NSW vs SA in the Sheffield Shield (yes, possibly I’m a very sad sad man) and saw Conway for the first time... He’s definitely a different kind of animal... intensity on everything.. NSW were about 8/5000 and he came into bat, got run out and stormed off like with steam hissing out of his ears..

TheParraboy

Staff member
I went to the Adelaide Oval to watch NSW vs SA in the Sheffield Shield (yes, possibly I’m a very sad sad man) and saw Conway for the first time... He’s definitely a different kind of animal... intensity on everything.. NSW were about 8/5000 and he came into bat, got run out and stormed off like with steam hissing out of his ears..

Sounds like a perfect partner for Wadey and Davey in the test side

Make Australia great (sledge) again

Bazal

Post Whore

Nothing sad about that mate, I've been known to drop in to Future's League matches at Phillip Oval....

Harry is just a strange dude. Even when he speaks he just radiates rareness

Nothing sad about that mate, I've been known to drop in to Future's League matches at Phillip Oval....

Harry is just a strange dude. Even when he speaks he just radiates rareness

mate I got in to the oval about half an hour before play, sat near the blues warming up on the field.. overlooking the scoreboard and cathedral in the background, watching Josh Hazlewood knocking throwdowns all over the park as casually as Mark Waugh on Valium... and thought to myself it doesn’t get any better than this..

But yes Uncle Harry stood out as a rarity.. like a purple monkey. Bowled well though. Batting can improve although admittedly the young bloke Solway on debut (who had scored a great ton) did burn him with a dodgy call
for a single.. Uncle Harry was pineappled, spiky end first..

undertaker

Coach
^^

Shane Warne offers up solution to pink ball woes in day-night Tests

Day-night Tests are still somewhat of a novelty and problems with the pink ball persist, but Shane Warne has an idea to fix the format’s big issue.

Shane Warne believes he has come up with a solution to pink balls becoming too soft, too quickly in day-night Test matches.

The former spin king, who continues to push for a day-night Boxing Day Test at his beloved MCG, wants two of the Kookaburra-produced pink balls in operation at all times.

One ball would be used at each end, as has been the case in all ODI matches for the past eight years.

It would be a first for Test cricket.

Warne believed his plan would minimise the difference between conditions during the afternoon and night sessions.

“The pink ball goes too soft. We heard the players say it goes really soft quickly,” Warne said.

“That’s why the game is so much dictated to bowling under lights in that last session.

“You could take that out of the equation (by having) a pink ball from both ends.

“The ball will swing and do stuff during the day a lot more, so it doesn’t become such an issue at night time.”

Australia is due to face India in a four-Test series next summer, preceded by a one-off Test against cricket minnows Afghanistan.

Debate is raging over which cities should host the sought-after India contests, with the schedule to be determined next year.

Doubts remain over whether India will agree to playing day-night Tests in Australia.

The pink ball is still a work in progress.Source:News Corp Australia

“I don’t think you need all day-night Test matches, but I think Melbourne would be fantastic for a Boxing Day Test match with 80-90,000 people there,” Warne said.

“I’d be making Adelaide and Melbourne the two day-nighters.

“Brisbane, Perth and Sydney; the pitches there are fantastic. They turn, they seam, they do all that stuff.

“Melbourne and Adelaide are the ones that can get a bit flat at times, so play them under lights.”

Mitchell Starc has a stellar record with the pink ball but has urged powerbrokers not to overdo day-night Tests, saying he still prefers traditional red-ball contests to five-day matches under floodlights.

“Don’t overdo it,” Starc said in Perth after defeating the Kiwis in the first Test.

“It’s great for cricket but I’m still a traditionalist at heart, so don’t take away too many from the red-ball game.

“We still find them (pink balls) going soft on the harder wickets at a certain point, perhaps a little bit sooner than the red-ball.”

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I saw this interview, Warne also said he thought would be good opportunity for Riley Meredith to be added to the Boxing day test squad for experience

I have no problems having the MCG test as a D/N provided it is not the boxing day test, how about that Shane?

I've said this before about the quality of Kookaburra's cricket balls over the past few years and I'll say it again: if the ball can't last the distance, it ain't quality and needs to be replaced with something that has been proven to last the distance (Dukes).

It's bad enough that we have new balls from each end in ODIs (which have killed off the reverse swing fast bowlers used to get in the last 10 overs, and with the exception of a few top quality spin bowlers, spinners have been on a hiding to nothing since the rule change in 2011) when the Dukes one used in the 1999 World Cup has been proven to last 50 overs.

But now, to try to implement new balls from each end in test matches (albeit the day/night ones) to cover the fact that the pink Kookaburra goes soft too quickly means that the quality of the ball is simply not up to standard.

For Warney to push for the Boxing Day test to be a day/nighter is also an admission from the Victorian that the MCG pitch is crap and he should stop boasting every Boxing Day about how Melbourne is the place to be to watch cricket, how the MCG is the best ground in the world etc.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Doubt taking wickets has anything to do with getting the call up. Didn't help the likes of Bird or Sayers in the past

Maybe they are talking about t20 only?

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/cricke...on-international-call-up-20191223-p53mft.html

Tasmania paceman Riley Meredith says Australia selectors have told him to keep taking wickets as speculation mounts over a possible international call-up.

Meredith (3-27) was the pick of the Hobart attack as they suffered defeat to Melbourne Stars in the Big Bash League at Moe on Sunday.

Shane Warne has consistently heaped praise on Meredith and has backed him to make his international debut in the next six to 12 months.

Meredith, who made his Australia A debut against Pakistan in November, is keeping his focus on improving his own game.

"Not a huge amount [of contact with selectors] really just the same message, 'Keep taking wickets and keep improving your game and you'll get there,'" he said.

"I'm not sure which [format] is my favourite. I probably perform best at T20 level at the moment, so that's probably the one to get into.

"I'm obviously trying to do my best in all formats."

AAP

• Send via Email
License this article

Latest posts