What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kieran Foran, worst signing in the history of the game...

kdalymc

Bench
The first time the Broncos ever signed anybody, it was a fella called Motu Tony. Played 3 games and ended up f**king off to England never to be heard of again.. that was pretty sad

Brett Papworth ?

Nah. He was ok, but injury prone definitely.

Much worse was Paul Vautin to the Roosters. His 1990-91 stint was pitiful. We were a poor teamn by then, he tried but he was terrible. In fact coach Mark Murray dropped him to reserve grade in 1991 for a good chunk of the season. Even Vautin himself admitted he played his worst football at the Roosters and he should have retired.

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
Nah. He was ok, but injury prone definitely.

Much worse was Paul Vautin to the Roosters. His 1990-91 stint was pitiful. We were a poor teamn by then, he tried but he was terrible. In fact coach Mark Murray dropped him to reserve grade in 1991 for a good chunk of the season. Even Vautin himself admitted he played his worst football at the Roosters and he should have retired.

all true but pappy hardly got on the field:smiley:

MKCS

Juniors
Might be a controversial one but Ben Hunt to the Dragons could be one of the worst high profile signings in modern times. Given 1.1 million a year over 5 years despite being a solid player with occasional glimpses of brilliance.

2018 the Dragons make the finals and go close to a preliminary final against the Roosters. Widdop goes down and Hunt has his chance to steer the Dragons to the prelim and can't get it done against a Souths team that was pretty horrible on the night. If you all recall Hunt cost his team the game also when he ran from I believe halfway giving Souffs the ball on their own 40 which then saw them march down field and kick the winning field goal...

2019 the Dragons finish second last when Widdop goes down leaving Hunt to steer the team. Dragons are woeful losing plenty of close encounters and getting blown out of the water by only slightly above average teams. Has a few good games against average or poor sides but generally is average or bad himself.

Dragons still stuck with him until 2023. 2020 season will see him as their primary playmaker just like he was this year and I'd say he'll stay in that spot until 2023. Can't see much coming Dragons way with this 1.1 million dollar flop leading them around.

He seems to play well for Queensland in the hooker position but he's again his average self when playing for Australia also. Keary went down in the 2018 game against New Zealand and Hunt once again had the chance to steer the side with DCE and got a kicking by them. Now he's somehow viewed as the best bench utility in the country (By Australian selectors) which I also disagree with...

SBD82

Coach
Might be a controversial one but Ben Hunt to the Dragons could be one of the worst high profile signings in modern times. Given 1.1 million a year over 5 years despite being a solid player with occasional glimpses of brilliance.

2018 the Dragons make the finals and go close to a preliminary final against the Roosters. Widdop goes down and Hunt has his chance to steer the Dragons to the prelim and can't get it done against a Souths team that was pretty horrible on the night. If you all recall Hunt cost his team the game also when he ran from I believe halfway giving Souffs the ball on their own 40 which then saw them march down field and kick the winning field goal...

2019 the Dragons finish second last when Widdop goes down leaving Hunt to steer the team. Dragons are woeful losing plenty of close encounters and getting blown out of the water by only slightly above average teams. Has a few good games against average or poor sides but generally is average or bad himself.

Dragons still stuck with him until 2023. 2020 season will see him as their primary playmaker just like he was this year and I'd say he'll stay in that spot until 2023. Can't see much coming Dragons way with this 1.1 million dollar flop leading them around.

He seems to play well for Queensland in the hooker position but he's again his average self when playing for Australia also. Keary went down in the 2018 game against New Zealand and Hunt once again had the chance to steer the side with DCE and got a kicking by them. Now he's somehow viewed as the best bench utility in the country (By Australian selectors) which I also disagree with...
That $1.1million figure has been widely speculated, but not confirmed. Our recruitment has repeatedly rejected it, and so has Hunt.

Taking away the figure, you may still be correct. He’s on very good money regardless, and I’d like to see him lead the team like a halfback.

At the same time, Mary could probably ruin Dally Messenger with his shithouse game plans. So who really knows what Hunt can bring?

As a simple example, Hunt used to look great when he straightened with Thaiday running an out line off his hip. I haven’t seen this used once in his time at the Dragons, with Mary coaching Frizell to run an inside line every damn time.

If that tubby bitch Thaiday can make the play work, imagine what a perfect specimen of an edge backrower like Frizell could do with it.

Spot On

Coach
Hunt on any more than 500K is a fricken bad buy. I don't care which way the sandwich is cut, he aint worth any more.

Congrats to him if he did secure in excess of 1 million per season. Great get. Stupid outlay from the Dragons.

But the league is littered with blokes on massive overs. There are plenty getting paid double or more their value imo.

Last edited:

MKCS

Juniors
That $1.1million figure has been widely speculated, but not confirmed. Our recruitment has repeatedly rejected it, and so has Hunt.

Taking away the figure, you may still be correct. He’s on very good money regardless, and I’d like to see him lead the team like a halfback.

At the same time, Mary could probably ruin Dally Messenger with his shithouse game plans. So who really knows what Hunt can bring?

As a simple example, Hunt used to look great when he straightened with Thaiday running an out line off his hip. I haven’t seen this used once in his time at the Dragons, with Mary coaching Frizell to run an inside line every damn time.

If that tubby bitch Thaiday can make the play work, imagine what a perfect specimen of an edge backrower like Frizell could do with it.

Even if it's 800-900k it's still a ton of money. As someone said I'd put Hunt at maybe 500-600k a year base or 700-750k if I had to pay overs due to not being a not so good team. He's a solid secondary half but doesn't do well as a primary at all and to be honest halfback is probably his second best position.

I never thought he was that awesome at Brisbane either although he was better than he is at the Dragons. He would go missing in big games for the Broncos also and of course cost them a grand final...

SBD82

Coach
Even if it's 800-900k it's still a ton of money. As someone said I'd put Hunt at maybe 500-600k a year base or 700-750k if I had to pay overs due to not being a not so good team. He's a solid secondary half but doesn't do well as a primary at all and to be honest halfback is probably his second best position.

I never thought he was that awesome at Brisbane either although he was better than he is at the Dragons. He would go missing in big games for the Broncos also and of course cost them a grand final...
Yeah. I’m afraid you’re right that he’s not worth what we are probably paying him. We needed a halfback and at the time we bought the best one on the market. Unfortunately there was a huge gap at the time between the top halfbacks and the rest.

I guess that my point is that it’s just hard to gauge any player’s true ability under Mary. Hunt arrived at the age where halfbacks usually complete their game. He’s gone backwards.

Matua

Bench
Andy Platt for the Warriors in 1995, along with Dennis Betts. Both were crap, barely 1st grade standard and were superstars of the English game at the time. Betts went back to England and came good again but I'm not sure whether Platt played again.

ATOWN2

Juniors
Jarryd Hayne $1.2 million for the Titans would have to be up there as well.

Honourable mention to Chris Walker at Souffs.

Canard

Immortal
Jarryd Hayne $1.2 million for the Titans would have to be up there as well.

Honourable mention to Chris Walker at Souffs.

Money aside, who does there background checks? I mean the reason for his sudden return from the US would have been pretty easy to determine.

Latest posts