What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shark supporters of a certain age.....

carinashark

First Grade
My first game of Rugby League was at Sutherland Oval , Sharks played Manly. I’m just wondering . Was anyone else from the forum there?

Quigs

Immortal
I was there and I hope that I pushed that little merkin Frenzy out of the way to get to the corner post. Carina do you remember that thing that they used to call the scoreboard. It was like a feeble monkey bar setup on the eastern side of the ground. I used to sit up there a fair bit.

And scabbing the loose change as it fell from under the visiting sides changeroom floorboards.

Quigs

Immortal
No Chad Hughes was the halfback at the time. And a bloody good one to except Reefy reckoned that he ran the wrong lines.

Dew wasn't a problem at the Old Sutho Oval. You've got to have a grassed surface to get Duwing.

Frenzy.

Immortal
My first game of Rugby League was at Sutherland Oval , Sharks played Manly. I’m just wondering . Was anyone else from the forum there?

April 22nd 1967 vs Parramatta and the Sharks won. I would have been at the Manly game for sure. I went to them all back then. I was 8 yo.

Quigs used to bash me up if I tried to sit on the scoreboard

Then he would bash me up again if I went under the dressing sheds to look for the coins that dropped through the wooden slats of the dressing room floor

Once he burnt me with Bomber Hynes cigar butt.

Quigs was a bully

carinashark

First Grade
I didn’t know Quigs was such a bastard. Cigar butt bastard! (He probably wanders around that beach of his with a butt just waiting for any errant crock to brand, sick bastard). I do remember the score board and how long they took to get the numbers up , and the cricket pitch in the middle and the players keeping away from it. You got a good view from the trees on the northern side but it was too far away for me. The seating was very pre war. Funny though I don’t remember any change rooms ,but I do remember Frank Stanton coming off at half time looking very second hand.

Frenzy.

Immortal
I didn’t know Quigs was such a bastard. Cigar butt bastard! (He probably wanders around that beach of his with a butt just waiting for any errant crock to brand, sick bastard). I do remember the score board and how long they took to get the numbers up , and the cricket pitch in the middle and the players keeping away from it. You got a good view from the trees on the northern side but it was too far away for me. The seating was very pre war. Funny though I don’t remember any change rooms ,but I do remember Frank Stanton coming off at half time looking very second hand.

Change rooms were at the south-west corner end near the cemetery.

Quigs

Immortal
Hey I did alright for 'me' weight and age group when it came to back in those days. But there were older and bigger bastards that tortured us 11 / 12 year olds. It was in primative times and was just like the animal food chain. The strong survived and the runts (Frenzy) were left to whinge and sook. Only came home with torn remains of the corner post. Never in my life did I get a full complete black and white NSW RL souvenir. Pricks.
But they never got my Daily Mirror little plastic Cronulla supporters flag though.

Yeah the actual oval was a fair way in from the northern fence. But I do remember Jack Danzey putting up an up and under running to the northern end and the bloody thing ended up bouncing on the road. "Missed it by that munch"

Still remember Lenny Killeen kicking some long distance goals there. Rotate the heel, plop ball down bolt upright. Three steps back, toe poke the far-kerr 50 plus yards right over the black dot. Bloke was a freak.

Playing there as a youngun I got to know that cricket pitch area well. Some big bastard speared tackled me into it. Suffered a very serious collar bone dislocation. I got the prick back a few seasons later. But that is another story. But the moral is eventually the kids sizes even up and the kid that was the teams big bastard is not so munch of the teams big bastard years later.

AJB1102

First Grade

I wasn't but if a fellow Sharky needs an alibi I certainly was and we were both busy collecting donations for an orphanage.

sharknows

Bench
I was an out of shire boy back then. My first game was Cronulla v Newtown at Endeavour in 1969?? Came out to the game to watch my PE teacher Mick Souter play against a student teacher Mark Robertson for Newtown. Was actually a bit of a Newtown supporter back then.

carinashark

First Grade
In Nowra Bunnings car park (just passing through going south) and met a couple from down this way. He stood out in his hand knitted blu e black and white mohair jumper and 90,s cap. We got chatting as you do , our first games he was at the Roosters game then the Sharks Manly game. Recalled Jack Danzy playing for us, ripping Manly up the middle before running out of puff. Plus a lot of other Sharks stuff I cannot recall now. Lived in all the suburbs I’ve lived in Oyster Bay, Jannali, Engardine and Heathcote. It’s amazing we have never met yet the Sharks brought us together for a wonderfull 20 min.

taipan

Referee
My first game was at the garbage tip AKA Shark Park, circa 69/70 something.
Names come to mind then on Abercrombie,Maddison,Bowen,Wear, Taylforth,Dennehy,Andrews,Corcoran,Bishop,
Wooden seats where ET stand now situated.
Crowd of 4.5k many occasions.Remember Panthers had sh*thouse jumpers.
Went to 73 Grand final. Sat on SCG hill, stood up once ,got a half eaten pie tossed at me.Fulton crapped me then, still does.
Club nearly closed the doors on a couple of occasions. Bucket collections,Save our Sharks sticker on my Datsun.Yep fun days had by all.
Thems were the days .Used to think marriage, work was stressful.Following our mob is just plain gut wrenching.

Quigs

Immortal
Syd-a-ney Sports Ground, First game. Was at the end (western end) where Bomber Hynes scored our first ever try and we won.

Latest posts