What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 rule changes

franklin2323

Immortal
Complete rubbish.
Enforce the rules as they are - none of this 'interpretation' stuff, actually referee to the rules - and the game will be fine.

well the game needs something. Hopefully these changes helps make it unpredictable

T-Boon

Coach
I like the 20/40 mainly because it shows they are trying something and are willing to play around with this good rule to make it a great rule. I think going to 30/30 might be the final solution.

T-Boon

Coach
I like this rule they are bringing in to make kids in the NRL 20 and under work or study 8 hours a week.
They should make it for anyone under 23 and make it 16 hours a week.

jim_57

Staff member
I like the 20/40 mainly because it shows they are trying something and are willing to play around with this good rule to make it a great rule. I think going to 30/30 might be the final solution.

If they're going to go down this road there would be a decent case to make to just make it a 40m and out rule from anywhere on the field (obviously only in 10m line increments).

Essentially you'd have a 10/50, 20/40, 30/30, 40/20 & 50/10.

Can't say I'm sold but it would bring a lot more unpredictability.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
On the "challenge" one, the one I dislike a lot.

Is it just the Captain who can challenge? The Coach via a trainer? Any player who feels robbed?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
I now also predict the rise of "Fisting".

You cannot tackle the bloke in the air, do the VFL thing and just "fist" it away.

T-Boon

Coach
On the "challenge" one, the one I dislike a lot.

Is it just the Captain who can challenge? The Coach via a trainer? Any player who feels robbed?

I would make it a coach challenge because I think the NRL coaches are massive bludgers and parasites on the game.
They basically do nothing on game day and game day is the only income producing day of the NRL week.
I would make them at least do what NFL coaches have to do which is stand on the side line and talk to the team in the middle of the field at quarter time breaks.
Essentially the cheer leaders should get paid better than the coaches.

BadnMean

Juniors
I now also predict the rise of "Fisting".

You cannot tackle the bloke in the air, do the VFL thing and just "fist" it away.

I was thinking the same. Very few players will be able to compete with Vunivalu or a similar player in the air so they will just go up for the spoil since all there other options for defending the kick have now been removed. Which raises the chance of 6 again from the kick so also works to make it more attractive as an option.

If a winger gets to the kick before the defender can arrive to compete for the ball and jumps to catch it toward the defender- the defender has to literally get out of his way now?

Ikuvalu fan

Juniors
These new rules are to encourage more attacking football that the game desperately needs. The casual viewer, who the game is loosing, doesn't tune in to watch defence and 5 hit ups and a kick.
How come crowd and membership numbers are up? You need to stop reading Buzz Rothfield mate

BadnMean

Juniors
In the same breath as they spruik rule changes,, people will remark how much more satisfying & skilful the game in the late 80s/90s was when the rules had no bells & whistles & play most often was 5 tackles & a kick. With a 5m rule.

Guess what? The need to play second phase and a bit of innovative, off the cuff footy grew from the need to crack that 7m (by early 90s it was being policed as 7-8m) defence with no helping hands.

10m rule + al the subs open the game up to relentless fast ruck running paying off more than carrying a brain or nice set of hands in the team who might just come into the game late each half & work some magic.

Then go on & say we need all these rules to bring back attacking footy. No we don't. Let the game settle a bit. Then let good pleyers/coaches/teams figure out how to beat it. Rely on the TALENT in the game to make the game good, not more f**king rules.

siv

First Grade
I can see more use if the video ref for kicks in goal to see every kick checked if its a

- 8 point try
- penalty try

mave

Coach
You will be much more likely to see the ref give a relieving penalty on the 5th tackle if the attacking team if they are stuck in their own 20m than see a 20/40 kick.

franklin2323

Immortal
If they're going to go down this road there would be a decent case to make to just make it a 40m and out rule from anywhere on the field (obviously only in 10m line increments).

Essentially you'd have a 10/50, 20/40, 30/30, 40/20 & 50/10.

Can't say I'm sold but it would bring a lot more unpredictability.

All the rules seem to be to encourage unpredictability.. except for the no tackling in the air. That is to bring it inline with the rest of the world and clean it up

franklin2323

Immortal
I was thinking the same. Very few players will be able to compete with Vunivalu or a similar player in the air so they will just go up for the spoil since all there other options for defending the kick have now been removed. Which raises the chance of 6 again from the kick so also works to make it more attractive as an option.

If a winger gets to the kick before the defender can arrive to compete for the ball and jumps to catch it toward the defender- the defender has to literally get out of his way now?

No there would still be the competing for the ball. Just be you can’t put the arm on those catching

nick87

Coach
You will be much more likely to see the ref give a relieving penalty on the 5th tackle if the attacking team if they are stuck in their own 20m than see a 20/40 kick.
yeah there is no way id be coaching my team to kick 20/40's when we're under the pump... misjudge it and you're compounding the pressure

We'll see 5-10x 20/40's in the entire year... we'll see teams get cheap, relieving penalties bailing them out of tough spots 2-3 times a game. I'll take those statistical odds of the relieving penalty all day and every day

Latest posts