What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacuous inclusivity campaign

BennyV

Referee
It seems Brisbane are seeking NRL approval for Israel Folau's return to the code.

Good on Brisbane. The NRL must have rocks in its head to decline a legitimate application. For all its vacuous inclusivity mantra, they seem hell-bent on following Rugby Australia's woke but ill-advised stance.

All this because a person of faith expresses a religious belief in his personal time.

So much for welcoming everybody, no matter colour, ethnicity, sexuality or faith to the fold.

I for one hope the NRL doesn't capitulate to the perpetually outraged on Twitter. But V'landys original comments on the matter do not auger well for a reasonable and fair outcome.

Straight Shooter
You’ve missed the point entirely OV. Very unlike you.

Folau’s denial back into the NRL has nothing to do with his religion or faith, or even his opinion. It’s the fact that he takes part (and/or leads) very public acts of discrimination with inflammatory (at best) comments against a portion of humanity.

If an NRL player came out and said ‘all black people will go to hell’ would the NRL sit back and do nothing?

If an u20s player tweeted that women were second class citizens, would that be accepted?

This is a code that regularly dedicates rounds of footballs to equality amongst race and gender. To then accept such a high profile discriminatory figure into the code would undermine all of that. It would turn away sponsors and fans. Revenue would take a huge hit. And that’s before you get into the social and moral impacts.

The NRL is amateurish in many, many things. But they’ve got this one 100% correct.

It seems Brisbane are seeking NRL approval for Israel Folau's return to the code.

Good on Brisbane. The NRL must have rocks in its head to decline a legitimate application. For all its vacuous inclusivity mantra, they seem hell-bent on following Rugby Australia's woke but ill-advised stance.

All this because a person of faith expresses a religious belief in his personal time.

So much for welcoming everybody, no matter colour, ethnicity, sexuality or faith to the fold.

I for one hope the NRL doesn't capitulate to the perpetually outraged on Twitter. But V'landys original comments on the matter do not auger well for a reasonable and fair outcome.

Straight Shooter
i totally agree OV and side note raelene castle should fall on her sword and step down from RA! She’s totally driven it into the ground as she did with the bulldogs and needs to walk away from all football codes as a top line administrator in fact she should be sacked not step down!

Folau was derided and everyone jumped to the defense of gays but no one jumped to the defense of drunks and fornicators where was their support? Elle oh Elle!!

Last edited:

TruSaint

Referee
The Brisbane Broncos have denied reports that they’re interested in luring Israel Folau back to the NRL.

There were unconfirmed reports that Folau had met with the Broncos in a bid to resurrect his career, but these were later denied by the club.

“No one from the Broncos met with Israel Folau or his representative last week, nor at any other time. That is absolutely incorrect,” the club said.

“Getting him to the Broncos is not something that has even been considered.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/17dbb34e5314f66a11817e640f6405b9

The Brisbane Broncos have denied reports that they’re interested in luring Israel Folau back to the NRL.

There were unconfirmed reports that Folau had met with the Broncos in a bid to resurrect his career, but these were later denied by the club.

“No one from the Broncos met with Israel Folau or his representative last week, nor at any other time. That is absolutely incorrect,” the club said.

“Getting him to the Broncos is not something that has even been considered.”

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/17dbb34e5314f66a11817e640f6405b9
So they’re extremely interested then lol

BLM01

First Grade

Straight Shooter
We all know that the originall Rugby over reacted to the minority and social media outcry to his comments and to put out the flames as obviously their major sponsor's CEO is gay.
No one at Rugby did anythiing much nor was their the same outcry
[about Pocock breaking the law and tying himself to a tree? to stop bulldozers going in somewhere

BLM01

First Grade
Exactly my point An overwhelming majority will disagree with his views but sacking the bloke?!!!

Straight Shooter
People are better off not reacting or not listening to when some of these people try to impose their own words of wisdom...especially more so the busfire punishment blurbs. They say all this stuff to spark reactions and promote their faith

M
You’ve missed the point entirely OV. Very unlike you.

Folau’s denial back into the NRL has nothing to do with his religion or faith, or even his opinion. It’s the fact that he takes part (and/or leads) very public acts of discrimination with inflammatory (at best) comments against a portion of humanity.

If an NRL player came out and said ‘all black people will go to hell’ would the NRL sit back and do nothing?

If an u20s player tweeted that women were second class citizens, would that be accepted?

This is a code that regularly dedicates rounds of footballs to equality amongst race and gender. To then accept such a high profile discriminatory figure into the code would undermine all of that. It would turn away sponsors and fans. Revenue would take a huge hit. And that’s before you get into the social and moral impacts.

The NRL is amateurish in many, many things. But they’ve got this one 100% correct.
my problem is sporting leagues/codes being the moral authorities and bringing politics and political agendas into the sports arenas people go to sport to escape that crap only to have it thrust in their faces

boardlumps62

Juniors
I personally that I mean to say is me and no other do not really give a toss about Israel Folau. I'm more concerned with the Dragons and how we perform next year. Now if he played and JDB played in our team what would you say.
Me awesome if Issy was as good as he was years ago and improved our team.

SBD82

Coach

Straight Shooter
I look forward to the day that you apply this logic in support of a player who openly advocates for jihad.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Folau was derided and everyone jumped to the defense of gays but no one jumped to the defense of drunks and fornicators where was their support?
Drunks and fornicators weren't the ones being bashed and murdered for being who they are. In living memory, the law has turned a blind eye to these attacks on gays. The gay community has every right to be fearful of a return to those days.

Folau preaches hate speech. He believes the bushfires are god's punishment for allowing gay marriage.

And through it all, he thinks he is the one being discriminated against. Wouldn't surprise me if he tries to sue the NRL for not giving him a job.

Old Timer

Coach
If these religious leaders hold the same opinions then they had better keep them to themselves. Because abusing minorities isn't on in current day societies.
People get called out for racist remarks at football games and given life bans from sporting venues. I see no difference here with making homophobic remarks.
A couple of points
  • The remarks aren’t homophobic. He is stating a view he has formulated as to what will happen to people that he considers to be sinners. Stating that view point as repugnant as it may be doesn't constitute him or the statement being homophobic.
  • Not just some religious leaders but also many christians hold exactly the same point of view as Folau. They often say "they pray for them" and ask that they be "forgiven" and that shits me to tears let alone the supercilious grin they give (ala ScuMo) as if they have god on their side which again IMO just shows how contemptuous some of them are.
  • Easy to pick on Folau because he is willing to state his beliefs whereas so many others hide behind the church and cry out that they have no religious freedom which is simply incorrect but of course they hate it when someone holds them to account with what modern society considers acceptable.

Drunks and fornicators weren't the ones being bashed and murdered for being who they are. In living memory, the law has turned a blind eye to these attacks on gays. The gay community has every right to fearful of a return to those days.

Folau preaches hate speech. He believes the bushfires are god's punishment for allowing gay marriage.

And through iit all, he thinks he is the one being discriminated against. Wouldn't surprise me if he tries to sue the NRL for not giving him a job.
Omg another one on their pulpit it was a freakin joke you muppets so save your long winded self righteous diatribe for a more pressing matter ffs no wonder I took a hiatus What a bunch of wowsers!!!! Deadset!!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Omg another one on their pulpit it was a freakin joke you muppets so save your long winded self righteous diatribe for a more pressing matter ffs no wonder I took a hiatus What a bunch of wowsers!!!! Deadset!!
I don't see you laughing.

The old "it was just a joke" defence. Despite the fact that it fits in with the rest of your 'argument'.

Excuse me for calling bullshit.

I don't see you laughing.

The old "it was just a joke" defence. Despite the fact that it fits in with the rest of your 'argument'.

Excuse me for calling bullshit.
F**k off you idiot go and preach to someone who cares!! Go grab a life in the meantime

Latest posts