What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Morris recruitment for 2020

How does everyone rate it?

We lost ;

Sosai Feki
Kurt Capewell
Paul Gallen
Jayden Brailey
Matt Prior

Gained;

Jessie Ramien
Cameron King

So that seems like a lot of experience and talent going out and not a great deal coming in.

I know there is a couple of factors to consider.

1. We have promoted a lot of young kids into the team and a lot of those have gotten upgrades or are on the cusp of getting a significant upgrade which eats into the cap.

2. Newtown won the comp which tells you there is some decent talent there and the Under 20’s comp or whatever they call it were Minor Premiers so again there’s some decent kids coming through so Coach Morris might be thinking there’s enough quality coming through?

3. We have a salary cap restriction which inhibits us from signing at least one more above average NRL player.

4. Long and inflated contracts of the likes of Moylan, Dugan etc. have caught up with us and unless we moved one on we weren’t going to be big players in the off season meat market.

These are all relevant points on why it’s been a very quiet recruitment drive for 2020.
However there doesn’t seem to be any exciting young prospects recruited for the future into our lower grades. If there has been please tell. I would love to know.

One thing Flanno did really well was either getting bargains, recruiting some great young kids or landing the big name signing. We don’t win the 2016 GF without all that happening.

Because of the points above I’ll give Coach Morris a pass for this season.

But I hope to see a lot more activity next time around that shows that we are actually working hard to bring additional talent in to maintain a high level at this Club.

Your thoughts?

2012....Sharks Year

First Grade
How does everyone rate it?

We lost ;

Sosai Feki
Kurt Capewell
Paul Gallen
Jayden Brailey
Matt Prior

Gained;

Jessie Ramien
Cameron King

So that seems like a lot of experience and talent going out and not a great deal coming in.

I know there is a couple of factors to consider.

1. We have promoted a lot of young kids into the team and a lot of those have gotten upgrades or are on the cusp of getting a significant upgrade which eats into the cap.

2. Newtown won the comp which tells you there is some decent talent there and the Under 20’s comp or whatever they call it were Minor Premiers so again there’s some decent kids coming through so Coach Morris might be thinking there’s enough quality coming through?

3. We have a salary cap restriction which inhibits us from signing at least one more above average NRL player.

4. Long and inflated contracts of the likes of Moylan, Dugan etc. have caught up with us and unless we moved one on we weren’t going to be big players in the off season meat market.

These are all relevant points on why it’s been a very quiet recruitment drive for 2020.
However there doesn’t seem to be any exciting young prospects recruited for the future into our lower grades. If there has been please tell. I would love to know.

One thing Flanno did really well was either getting bargains, recruiting some great young kids or landing the big name signing. We don’t win the 2016 GF without all that happening.

But I hope to see a lot more activity next time around that shows that we are actually working hard to bring additional talent in to maintain a high level at this Club.

Your thoughts?
I think your fourth point is the most telling in regards to our salary cap issues and wont be resolved for another two years. (Duges and Moylan on a combined 1.6m plus). While I'm wrapped that Jesse has come home we are obviously skinny in the pigs considering who we've lost. Had to laugh at the Latrell thread. As talented as he is...the last thing we need is another centre/fullback. Hopefully Rudolf and BHU can play some big minutes because we all know Fifi looks like a shadow of his old self. Maybe Bomber needs to have a quiet word in Gals ear to keep fit for a cameo for our 30th spot if things get desperate prior to June 30.

Craigshark

First Grade
Terrible, but obviously not really his fault due to the circumstances you’ve already mentioned.

Think we might be in for a couple of lean years. We look really skinny and light on in the forwards. Need a couple of big, agile David Fifita types these days, and I don’t think we have any? Worried about Williams starting at lock. Hopefully Rudolph makes the step up and Uele continues to improve, because if we’re relying on Fifita on recent form, we’re f**ked.

fizman

Bench
I would be giving John Morris a 5 year extension now if it were my choice.

Forget players, they come and go and that includes local juniors.

We need a Melbourne like model where it doesn’t matter who wears the jersey - they play their best footy and add to the team.

Players are developed in a system.

I believe John Morris can be that exact Coach for Cronulla for the next 10 years.

Consider this, it will have been 3 or 4 seasons before he has an opportunity to be Head Coach with a full salary cap playing out of our home ground!

Frenzy.

Immortal
I would be giving John Morris a 5 year extension now if it were my choice.

Forget players, they come and go and that includes local juniors.

We need a Melbourne like model where it doesn’t matter who wears the jersey - they play their best footy and add to the team.

Players are developed in a system.

I believe John Morris can be that exact Coach for Cronulla for the next 10 years.

Consider this, it will have been 3 or 4 seasons before he has an opportunity to be Head Coach with a full salary cap playing out of our home ground!

Yes. Let him bake his cake

Your thoughts?
Flanno signed those long and inflated contracts. Morris has his hands tied somewhat because of what Flanno did.
If the Flange was still there he would not be able to do the things you rate as really well, unless he got rid of a few of his buys, just like Morris has to do deal with now.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Flanno signed those long and inflated contracts. Morris has his hands tied somewhat because of what Flanno did.
If the Flange was still there he would not be able to do the things you rate as really well, unless he got rid of a few of his buys, just like Morris has to do deal with now.

Is this kind of anti Pissflap talk allowed here?

You'll get spanked by a dandelion.

taipan

Referee
Capewell was up and down like a yo yo at times.
Gal was past his best, ball hogging more so as time went on.Still a legend though.
Prior tried his guts out all the time, but he too had his off moments.
We lacked offloads in the forwards ,oneupmanship was as predictable as p*ss after a few beers.

Yes I’m not a fan of giving anyone a 4 year contract unless they are a regular rep player.

Dugan & Moylan should never have got a 4 year deal with their injury history and inconsistent form.

If we missed out on either or both if they didn’t want to take a 3 year deal then so be it.

Flanno’s recruitment was way better earlier on in his coaching career then the latter part with the big buys.

snout

First Grade
What would you say if l said lve been to the future and seen it with me own eyes...matt moylan wins the
2020 Dally M POTY

Chimp

Bench
If we're looking for relatively cheap pack men, I'd say follow the Raiders tactic and raid Super League. There ain't an abundance of talent there, but the better props would still be serviceable and cheap.

Latest posts