What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OT: Current Affairs and Politics

Gronk

Staff member
Put it this way - if you hate a politician do you have any credibility when you editorialise about him?
Who said the writer hated him ? Wolff was given access to Trump and staff and the book is based on 200 recorded interviews. What part of the book casts the POTUS in an unfavourable light to make you think that it was written with predetermined bias ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Journalists are aware they need to try and hide their bias, but even without bias they need to sell drama and bullshit.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Everyone's a victim.

I read plenty of journalists Gronk, but I take them all with a grain of salt. You have to keep in mind they are first and foremost selling something they know people will buy.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They are full of shit. As soon as they start telling us why things happened, or otherwise inferring causal relationships and reading merkins' minds they are tainting the facts with their opinions.

But if they don't their stuff is boring and unreadable (or unwatchable). And nobody will pay money for it.

Gronk

Staff member
They are full of shit. As soon as they start telling us why things happened, or otherwise inferring causal relationships and reading merkins' minds they are tainting the facts with their opinions.

But if they don't their stuff is boring and unreadable (or unwatchable). And nobody will pay money for it.

Massive generalisation. Historians fill in the blanks in between the facts too. Running with your premise, they are tainted with bias or colour to sell books.

But we digress. These two particular books by Wolff are based on audio tapes from merkins within the White House. So without any rebuttable evidence, well assume it is the truth until such time it is shown to be otherwise. That how shit works. Not even the queen of spin Kellyanne Conway has had the balls to refute any part of the book, because she knows that this guy does not go to print without accounts from multiple sources .

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Massive generalisation. Historians fill in the blanks in between the facts too. Running with your premise, they are tainted with bias or colour to sell books.
Agreed.
But we digress. These two particular books by Wolff are based on audio tapes from merkins within the White House. So without any rebuttable evidence, well assume it is the truth until such time it is shown to be otherwise. That how shit works. Not even the queen of spin Kellyanne Conway has had the balls to refute any part of the book, because she knows that this guy does not go to print without accounts from multiple sources .
Why dignify that kind of scuttlebutt with a response? A book written with a narrative around a bunch of emotionally charged recollections. It's melodrama to entertain watchers of politicians and bureaucrats. You can assume it's pure truth. I will go with Occam's Razor on this one and assume that the underdog in a contest had a plan for if they actually won.

Gronk

Staff member
Agreed.

Why dignify that kind of scuttlebutt with a response? A book written with a narrative around a bunch of emotionally charged recollections. It's melodrama to entertain watchers of politicians and bureaucrats. You can assume it's pure truth. I will go with Occam's Razor on this one and assume that the underdog in a contest had a plan for if they actually won.

Got it. Dismissing a premise as fake because it does not suit your narrative reminds me of someone. Guess who ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I don't have a narrative. It's just stupid to think someone would spend all that time and effort on a contest and have no plan for if they won.

Gronk

Staff member
And yet you believe it.
People do stupid things. I have sat with the notion that he does and says stupid things and concluded that it's ..

54851b2b7389a90c2e90f6e7c865f8b47f6a46c77020e39966a71601ad6e3a3c.jpg