What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

bazza

Referee
Only 25000. They wouldn't get better crowds for their onion games?
I guess 25k is ok for the regular season. Have a roof should see decent crowds and tickets at a premium
I would think that this may stop them hosting bigger All Blacks games. A similar roofed stadium in Dunedin is 30k capacity

>zuzu<

Juniors
The problem is that a venue sized for such a one time event, comprising a handful of games, that Oz may never actually host, is a fundamentally worse fit for the three permanent tenants that will actually use the venue up to 1000 times in the next 25 to 30 years. Collectively, these tenants draw around 15,000 for most events and more than 30,000 only once or twice a year. A one third to half filled atmosphere sapping 45,000 seat cavern won’t deliver a spectator experience that helps those tenants keep crowds coming back, let alone build on them. Nor will the sight of a sea of empty seats on television convince viewers that those events are worth attending in person. The venue should be built to cater first and foremost for the tenants that can actually commit to using it. Leave worrying about the World Cup until when and if we ever get it.

Leigh.
Completely get where you are coming from. As someone who is super critical of the NRL for not being able to fill in seats, catering for a smaller stadium may work towards creating a demand.

I personally think a 35,000 seater would suffice.

Timbo

Staff member
Only 25000. They wouldn't get better crowds for their onion games?

NIMBYism has been a nightmare for the Christchurch rebuild. I’ve been following the debate over getting lights for the new cricket ground and it’s been insane. 95% of public submissions have been in favour of it, they’ve been able to illustrate that it’ll contribute six trillion Kiwi Pesos or some other ridiculous amount to the local economy by being able to host major events, but at every planning meeting the same hundred or so residents turn up and bleat ‘BUT I DONT WANNA LOOK AT LIGHT POSTS IN 1% OF A PUBLIC PARK’. From what I understand, the same groups keep stalling planning on the new footy stadium - perhaps the smaller capacity is helping ram it through? That temporary stadium is already several years past it’s use-by date.

It must be absolutely maddening.

Timbo

Staff member
Not really Crusaders only avg in the 15k range

That’s because the stadium is falling down and capacity for Super Rugby is capped at 17k in that stadium, much of which is not undercover and the weather there is usually foul at that time of year.

Look at their averages before Lancaster Park was destroyed in the earthquake for a better idea of their drawing power.

Perth Red

Post Whore
That’s because the stadium is falling down and capacity for Super Rugby is capped at 17k in that stadium, much of which is not undercover and the weather there is usually foul at that time of year.

Look at their averages before Lancaster Park was destroyed in the earthquake for a better idea of their drawing power.

Finding Union crowd stats is as hard as finding a News lts employee with integrity but a quick look shows:

2008 when they finished top

crowds in 2009

so looks like 25k is perfect for a bit of growth for them.

Suitman

Post Whore
Lancaster Park, Christchurch, before the earthquake reduced it to a blubbering mess.
Capacity was over 35000

YUEV33KSHNAC5N66XUR7CF3CH4.jpg

Timbo

Staff member
Lancaster Park, Christchurch, before the earthquake reduced it to a blubbering mess.
Capacity was over 35000

YUEV33KSHNAC5N66XUR7CF3CH4.jpg

They’d also just sunk quite a bit of money into it advance of the Rugby World Cup. Was a real shame.

Suitman

Post Whore
They’d also just sunk quite a bit of money into it advance of the Rugby World Cup. Was a real shame.

Absolutely. It was the best it had ever been.
Really sad to see such a great stadium have such a demise, and to never rise again.