What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Eels in the media

lingard

Coach
So who is the merkin sitting on the ball ?

img_2264.jpg

Is that Jaemon Salmon with his head down?

lingard

Coach
I used to hate Johns as a player thought he was completely overrated but it’s really clear he knows his football but also knows how to convey it across

You're the only other person I've ever met (besides myself) who thought Johns was overrated as a player. I met myself once in a mirror in the toilet of the Commercial Hotel. After introducing ourselves we both said that Johns was an overrated nuffy - and we both agreed with each other. It was the start of a great relationship. We continued to meet up in the mirror in the dunny every Friday night for the next few years. Until I got sick of myself. After a number of years going down the wrong path in life, I set off to find myself. Went back to the Commie - but I wasn't there anymore. Oh well, I still reckon Andrew Johns was a bloody good halfback who was built up in the media to be way better than he actually was. Give me Alan Langer any day over Johns.

T.S Quint

Coach
You're the only other person I've ever met (besides myself) who thought Johns was overrated as a player. I met myself once in a mirror in the toilet of the Commercial Hotel. After introducing ourselves we both said that Johns was an overrated nuffy - and we both agreed with each other. It was the start of a great relationship. We continued to meet up in the mirror in the dunny every Friday night for the next few years. Until I got sick of myself. After a number of years going down the wrong path in life, I set off to find myself. Went back to the Commie - but I wasn't there anymore. Oh well, I still reckon Andrew Johns was a bloody good halfback who was built up in the media to be way better than he actually was. Give me Alan Langer any day over Johns.

I liked this post because I thought it was funny.
I don't agree with your final statement though. Johns had a superior kicking game and defence. They were probably on par for footy smarts.
Also, whilst Johns played with some incredible players over the years he never had a team like the ones Langer used to play in. Pretty much the whole QLD side and half the Australian side were in those Broncos teams. You'd think that would help Langer look better. Towards the end of his career Johns would drag his team of no-hopers towards victory on his kicking game alone.

Eelementary

Post Whore
As a 15-year old, I hated Johns - I thought he was hugely over-rated, and the media went on, and on about him.

As a 34-year old now, I have gone back, and studied his game more closely, and...well, imo, he was just that damned good.

Defence.

Kicking.

Passing.

Running.

Goal-kicking.

Footy smarts.

He was the complete package.

He was arrogant, but he backed it up.

I am upset, though, that he is an Immortal before Peter Sterling; Johns deserves to be an Immortal, but so does Sterling.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
lol Andrew Johns>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Allan Langer.

It’s not even close I’d say Alfie’s short kicking game was better and his running game was slightly ahead but on everything else Johns kills him on.

Sterling>>>>>>>>> Langer also, did Langer ever play in a poor side??? Pretty easy to look good playing behind an international pack each week.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
and Alfie's defense was so good that even when Benny coached him at any level, even for the Kangaroos, he still pick Toni Carroll to stand next to him so he could do his tackling

Latest posts