What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Latrell (officially signs with Souths 13/1/20)

Spot On

Coach
I'd hope Mal or any Kangaroos coach would be picking an Aussie team based on form shown through Origin first and foremost.

I couldn't have Latrell for Aus again after his last game.

adamkungl

Immortal
Funnily enough, I joined this site when I was 22 (2003). You could probably trawl through some of the crap I said back then and sum me up as a dumbass. It probably wouldn't be that interesting though.

Anyway, did anyone else really enjoy the flippant way Latrell said "People say playing Origin is the pinnacle...it's not". So damn true, despite what Freddy, Gus and the QLD brigade say.

I'm starting to really like this guy, even though he ruined my trip to Sydney for the GF with that arsey flick pass.

I hope he makes himself unavailable for NSW but available for the Kangaroos. That would great.

I mean, he's right, but you know he's only saying it because he feels SNUBBED and is a bit butthurt

Spot On

Coach
Blokes who want massive contracts of a million $$$ or more better think carefully about where a clubs income comes from to pay the salaries of the blokes who want a million dollar plus per annum to play footy.

Start biting part of the hand that feeds you ie State of Origin revenue in the TV rights deals and they might find a few less dollars in the pay pack.

They'll be changing their tune then.

Or, if they are like Mitchell is indicating, maybe they'll just be happy to play for the love of the game and the honour of singing the national anthem and the privilege of running out for their country??? That sounds lovely to me. Should be more of it.

If they enjoy an earn, then a player wants exposure on a massive scale and not much rates more highly than origin footy on tv.

Can't have it both ways.

Last edited:

Chimp

Juniors
If you were being very cynical, you could think that this is a ploy all about perception - Uncle Nick agrees with LM that they're going to publicly pull their offer, with an agreement that eventually after all the shit storm, his perceived value will be lower, allowing the Roosters to then register a much lower official contract (as he cant get better elsewhere), topped up with guaranteed, but unofficial brown paper bag cash.

Latrell gets his $1m, Rooster only register $500k - everyone's a winner.

Well, well, well.... isn't that all coming together nicely....

https://amp.nine.com.au/article/f61dbdb1-870f-4fe6-bb38-03daa4877384?__twitter_impression=true

Tiger5150

Bench

I see your conspiracy and raise you another (I still think he will end up at Souffs),,......

Latrell Mitchell’s tears as Roosters confirm withdrawal of contract

There is no way back to Bondi now. After an emotional meeting with Sydney Roosters hierarchy, Latrell Mitchell knows he has no future with the back-to-back NRL premiers.

Dean Ritchie & Phil Rothfield, The Daily Telegraph

Latrell Mitchell wept during an emotional meeting with Sydney Roosters coach Trent Robinson after the two-time premiership winner was formally told his long-term future at Bondi was over.

It comes as The Daily Telegraph can reveal Mitchell:

• Met Roosters chairman Nick Politis face-to-face on Tuesday for the first time since the club withdrew its $800,000 a year contract offer;

• Returned to Roosters headquarters inside Paddington’s Entertainment Quarter on Monday to start off-season testing;

• Was told the Roosters did not have salary cap room to retain him after 2020

• May still play at Concord next season after Roosters powerbrokers made it clear to Wests Tigers officials they would grant the him an early release;

• Could remain at the Roosters next year if he is unable to secure another deal;

• Would be required to return to Roosters training in early January – possibly the 6th — if still contracted to the club.
Mitchell and Politis met over coffee at an eastern suburbs cafe.

The Daily Telegraph understands Mitchell was told there wasn’t money for him to be re-signed when his current deal at the club expires after next season.

A day earlier, Mitchell quietly returned to Sydney Roosters headquarters to complete fitness testing and a medical, which is part of the NRL’s off-season Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Mitchell spoke with Robinson, with onlookers saying the reunion was “teary and emotional” when Mitchell realised his time at Bondi was coming to a close.

Mitchell spoke of his disappointment that he wouldn’t get to play 100 games for the Roosters. He is stuck on 97.

Sources close to the negotiations say the Roosters have indicated they would release Mitchell to Wests Tigers immediately.

If unable to nail down a new club, the Roosters have a contractual obligation to keep Mitchell for next season.

Some at the club believe Mitchell’s return would be a “major distraction” while others say he would slot back in comfortably.

The Tigers will offer Mitchell two key enticements — a $1 million annual contract and the chance to play fullback.

The Tigers have withdrawn their offer but remain interested in signing Mitchell provided the players indicates a desire to play under coach Michael Maguire at Concord.

Mitchell’s return to the Roosters was also a club requirement given he is still under contact at Bondi for next season.

While the Roosters have re-signed props Jared Waerea-Hargreaves and Siosiua Taukeiaho, the club would still need to find $500,000 for Mitchell in 2020 should he stay.

Gold Coast also remain interested in signing Mitchell.

Mitchell was given an extended break after representing the Kangaroos in Oceania Cup Tests against New Zealand and Tonga in October and November.

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...07a6a2502b4ef7

adamkungl

Immortal

adamkungl

Immortal
Buzz not usually a big swing and miss rumour mongerer like Hooper Moley and Weirdler.

I unfortunately think he's probably close to correct.

Tiger5150

Bench
This makes no sense. Have they already allocated his 2020 salary to player upgrades? What happens if Latrell digs his feet in, will they need to shed players to stay under the "cap"?

Agreed, particularly as the rest of the article says he is welcome to stay for 2020 if he doesn't find another club.

i think that last bit is DT journalists trying their hand at mathematics.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
i think that Wazdogs point is that if he has a contract for 2020 they cant upgrade their way up over the cap. Personally I think the journalist just cant work it out that upgrades are for future years.
haha nah I was throwing a bit of banter Apollos way because he had a go when I said they couldn't re-sign Latrell a few days ago.

Chimp

Juniors
Upgraded contacts for 2020 wouldn't have been signed off by NRL unless there was cap space available - and as Mitchell hasn't left yet, the figures used would have included Mitchell's salary.

My guess is he'll be at Roosters in 2020, will fall in love with them again and then take unders to stay in 2021 onwards.

*by unders, I mean on his official contract, non-inclusive of 'other's payments

You are an idiot mate. He could've got 800k minimum from the roosters, the tigers probably offered more before he came out with those comments. So he needs to make 100k more then his biggest offer prior to his comments about fittler and the blues. Its f**king simple.

Adolf Fittler was never gonna play him. Roosters gangstas stick tight.

betcats

Referee
Latrell in tears after realising he actually has to sign with west tigers. It goes from bad to worse for the kid, he got the whole nswrl unhappy, he’s being censored by the nrl ceo apparently and doing interviews without the roosters permission describing their contract negotiations as a kick in the teeth, but it turns out he might want to stay there...probably shouldn’t of spoken out of turn about the roosters or their boy filter in that case. When it comes to negotiating this kid can’t do anything right. When will he realise he is getting dog shit advice?

Last edited:

Latest posts