What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vacuous inclusivity campaign

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Religion & politics.

A sure fire way to get people hating on each other.

Lets try and remember why we come here in the first place, you know, that common interest, the Dragons.

Rubbish thread...
That sounds like something a Steeler would say..

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Religion & politics.

A sure fire way to get people hating on each other.

Lets try and remember why we come here in the first place, you know, that common interest, the Dragons.

Rubbish thread...
Perhaps, but this is a diverse forum (despite some efforts to make it less diverse).

Since these forums began almost 20 years ago, we have discussed everything. You're certainly not the first to dislike these type of discussions, and I notice that even allowing these threads has been a subject of debate.

One of the first discussions was about the World Trade Centre attack in 2001 (9/11). Some forums actually shut down the discussion, but we decided to allow it to continue. Worth noting that those forums that shut down political and religious discussions are no longer online.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
A comment such as that was bound to happen . This thread has become an embarrassment to the St.George Illawarra forum itself .
On the contrary, it has shown that the majority care about equal rights and stand against racism and homophobia.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
On the contrary, it has shown that the majority care about equal rights and stand against racism and homophobia.

I know that controversial topics like this boost the traffic flow to the forum, but all it takes is one piece of shit to post something homophobic and the discussion gets nasty. It's not worth it.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I know that controversial topics like this boost the traffic flow to the forum, but all it takes is one piece of shit to post something homophobic and the discussion gets nasty. It's not worth it.
I think you’ll find it’s football that drives traffic to the forum.. Pretty sure most folk aren’t out there thinking “I wonder where the best place to discuss homophobia would be today... I know.. a footy forum!”

League unlimited - come for the football. Stay for the discussions.

And there’s a simple approach if someone posts something inflammatory that could hurt others or hurt the forum - report it.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If you see something that crosses the line then please report it.

And thanks to those who have reported stuff, it is of great assistance to the mods and admin.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
I think you’ll find it’s football that drives traffic to the forum.. Pretty sure most folk aren’t out there thinking “I wonder where the best place to discuss homophobia would be today... I know.. a footy forum!”

League unlimited - come for the football. Stay for the discussions.

And there’s a simple approach if someone posts something inflammatory that could hurt others or hurt the forum - report it.

This thread was started on Sunday. It already has 13 pages.

I said it's topics like this that BOOST traffic flow, which it's pretty clear that it has. People are always quick to jump into a debate as controversial as this and will keep coming back to keep tabs on the responses.

Also, it's not just about reporting inflammatory comments, it's the ripple effect that it can have on a discussion.

Old Timer

Coach
Not "to the forum" but "within the forum" and TBH there aren't that many in here and I have no doubt the initial / main reason we turned up in the 1st place was to discuss / argue footy.
A lot of freedom / leniency is allowed in this place and obviously some "hot topics" get a gig so kudos to those that run the site.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee

I said it's topics like this that BOOST traffic flow, which it's pretty clear that it has. People are always quick to jump into a debate as controversial as this and will keep coming back to keep tabs on the responses.

Also, it's not just about reporting inflammatory comments, it's the ripple effect that it can have on a discussion.
It is not like the topic was bought up randomly. There is a homophobic loud mouth who wants to play rugby league, spreading his hatred as much as possible, as others have noted many polynesian players probably share the views, but they keep it to themselves and do not hide behind thier religion like it is parliamentary privilege.

Just saying not a ramdom topic, was in the courts recently.

TomRedVRiver

Bench
It is not like the topic was bought up randomly. There is a homophobic loud mouth who wants to play rugby league, spreading his hatred as much as possible, as others have noted many polynesian players probably share the views, but they keep it to themselves and do not hide behind thier religion like it is parliamentary privilege.

Just saying not a ramdom topic, was in the courts recently.

Oh 100%, i'm all over the topic. Never once insinuated it was a random topic. There's been an ongoing thread on it in JA.

The very nature of this thread though was clearly a bait. It worked.

Gareth67

First Grade

That may well be the case however it is a rugby league forum , so before any further harm is done to members whom themselves have been subjected to racism or homophobia predjuices in the past why don’t we use some common sense and end it .

Or if you feel that you truly can make a difference to the injustices of the world continue the discussion in the swamp .

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member

Whilst there are a lot of pages in the discussion, I think you’ll find the Pareto rule very much applies here.. A few posters generating most of the content..

For me, if a thread holds no weight or I think it’s dross, I avoid it..

Eg. The sack Mary thread.. I CBF going in there because I know he needs to go and I’m sick of the whinging about him..

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Don't know what you mean by ripple effect. It's not like this is the first controversial discussion we've had here. There's a similar discussion in the LU NRL forum that has been going on for months before this one started. It is rugby league related, and it will lead to opposing opinions.

And It has nothing to do with 'boosting traffic flow'. With respect, we don't need any extra traffic. It's about discussion, let's not read anymore into than that.

This topic will tend to fizzle out when the next drama comes along.
Oh 100%, i'm all over the topic. Never once insinuated it was a random topic. There's been an ongoing thread on it in JA.

The very nature of this thread though was clearly a bait. It worked.
In this case it has created a discussion. And baiting happens quite frequently. So what's the problem?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
To think not so long ago saying:
"I woke up feeling gay" literally meant "I woke up feeling happy".
To quote from a song from the 70'-early 80's
"To think of only yesterday,
I was cheerful, bright and gay
Looking forward to, who wouldn't do
The role i was about to play"
The main crux here was he was about to he married and the obvious reference to gay was happy.
How things get twisted with time.

Dragsters

First Grade
Dunno...

Just trying to show that football can be just as divisive as politics or religion.. :)

Perhaps, but generally less so amongst supporters of the same team.

Regardless of which side of the joint venture you originated in this case.

GO THE MIGHTIES!!!

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
That may well be the case however it is a rugby league forum , so before any further harm is done to members whom themselves have been subjected to racism or homophobia predjuices in the past why don’t we use some common sense and end it .

Or if you feel that you truly can make a difference to the injustices of the world continue the discussion in the swamp .
I am not sure pretending it is not thought or happening is the right approach.

Discussion > Denial.

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
To think not so long ago saying:
"I woke up feeling gay" literally meant "I woke up feeling happy".
To quote from a song from the 70'-early 80's
"To think of only yesterday,
I was cheerful, bright and gay
Looking forward to, who wouldn't do
The role i was about to play"
The main crux here was he was about to he married and the obvious reference to gay was happy.
How things get twisted with time.
They should be happy, not told they are wrong and inferior