What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

In Memoriam

horrie hastings

First Grade
Australian actress Anne Phelan who starred in Prisoner has passed away, there are differing reports about her age which was either 71 or 75.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Marie Fredriksson from Roxette has died aged 61. She was diagnosed with a brain tumour in 2002 then had 3 years of intense treatment, then followed a break from recording then started recording some solo material in 2008 and re uniting Roxette in 2009. Despite being able to perform again she had on going problems from the earlier radiation treatment and it finally caught up with her again after a 17 year struggle.

RIP Marie.

nöyd

Staff member
I was 14/15 when Roxette became huge, Look Sharp was on repeat on all stations and music video shows on 24 hour rotation.

I remember all that because I was in Armidale/Uralla for under 15 state titles, we had a kid in the team with white spiked hair, whose nickname went from Billy Idol to Roxette in the space of that long weekend.

rip Marie x

Evil_Mush

Juniors
Sad to hear, I was lucky to see them in Auckland about 4 years ago and hadn't realised until about that time what she had been going through medically.

Like many other children of the 80s Roxette were certainly part of the musical soundtrack to my life as a kid and feel honoured I got to actually see them perform most of those songs live (especially my guilty pleasure Almost Unreal from "that videogame movie" as she put it that night!)

RIP

Today is another one of those sad days in pop culture. Two of the biggest pop bands I've ever loved in The Cars and Roxette leave me melancholy this year with the passing of their respective singers in Ric Ocasek and Marie Fredriksson.

I was in year 7 in 1989 when Roxette went Supernova with LOOK SHARP! The Look...Dressed For Success...Dangerous...Listen To You Heart...It Must of Been Love...all on cassingle. Joyride...The Big L...Fading Like a Flower from Joyride all on CD singles. My fave tracks included Almost Unreal, June Afternoon and Knockin' On Every Door. They also did the original version of Always Breaking My Heart which was later a big hit for Belinda Carlisle. They had a keen ear for pop and such a fantastic way of mixing Beatles and ABBA hooks to deliver hit after hit after hit.

Their onslaught of the charts from 1989 - 1994 was amazing. Sooooooo many hit singles and albums. After that, record label travails killed their momentum in the big US / UK markets but they were still massive in Europe, Asia and South America.

I actually got a LOOK SHARP! LP signed by the band in 1991. Was such a thrill. Funny thing, I was a massive hair metal fan but still loved great pop like Roxette's. I only got a trendy LP frame recently to put it in.

Do yourself a favour and grab the albums The Look!, Joyride and Crash!Boom!Bang!
Or the original RoxBox 86-06 with the DVDs or the re-release from 2015.

Vale Marie.

horrie hastings

First Grade
It's funny, driving up to Narrabeen on Saturday and I said to my better half I wonder how Marie Fredriksson is going because I hadn't heard much about lately, the reason I thought of it was that WS FM had been playing tracks off the Look Sharp album over the last month , then I flicked on the TV when I got up this morning and saw the running banner at the bottom of the ABC news that Marie had passed away, I let out the biggest oh no. So sad , her and Per were superb together.

Generalzod

Immortal
It's funny, driving up to Narrabeen on Saturday and I said to my better half I wonder how Marie Fredriksson is going because I hadn't heard much about lately, the reason I thought of it was that WS FM had been playing tracks off the Look Sharp album over the last month , then I flicked on the TV when I got up this morning and saw the running banner at the bottom of the ABC news that Marie had passed away, I let out the biggest oh no. So sad , her and Per were superb together.
Funny enough I was listening to WSFM on Saturday I said to my better half how popular where these guys in the late 80s early 90s , anyway the constantly play Roxette in 80s digital channel.

Latest posts