What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st Test D/N: Australia v NZ at Perth, Dec 12-16 2019

TheParraboy

Staff member
We beat Team India easily on this ground last year in the first test ever at this venue

We batted first - 326
India 283 (Kholi 123)
Australia 243
India 140

Lyon 8 wickets
Player of the match

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
didnt realise it was a day nighter to kick things off. Very nice.

EDIT: its also in Perth, with the time difference the days will be finishing at roughly midnight EST if my calculations are correct?

undertaker

Coach
Sucks, I reckon. I'd rather have a day-nighter in Sydney than Perth. Perth games start late enough NZT as it is
I think that was intentionally part of the plan from CA: choosing a day/night match in Perth means it finishes well past midnight in NZ, much like when the NZ Warriors played NRL matches in Perth on a Saturday night starting at 9:30pm on the east coast (11:30pm NZ). Difficult for the body clock to adjust to that.

Reactions: JJ

undertaker

Coach
didnt realise it was a day nighter to kick things off. Very nice.

EDIT: its also in Perth, with the time difference the days will be finishing at roughly midnight EST if my calculations are correct?

In Sydney/Melbourne, the match sessions are 4-6pm, 6:40-8:40pm & 9-11pm (with an additional 30 minutes to complete overs). So, the cut-off time will be 11:30pm, which is 1:30am in NZ. No rain is expected in Perth at this time of the year, otherwise an additional hour can occur in the last session due to rain delays.

It's stupid having the 40min "dinner" break after the 1st session, since it will be only 3pm in Perth. In the Adelaide day/night test (as well as the Brisbane day/nighter last summer), the 40min break was taken after the 2nd session. This scheduling for the Perth test was undoubtedly done for Ch7's benefit so their 6pm news bulletin in the major tv rating markets (Sydney/Melbourne) wouldn't be interrupted. Ch9 would've done the exact same thing had they been broadcasting the match.

Last edited:

JJ

Immortal
I think that was intentionally part of the plan from CA: choosing a day/night match in Perth means it finishes well past midnight in NZ, much like when the NZ Warriors played NRL matches in Perth on a Saturday night starting at 9:30pm on the east coast (11:30pm NZ). Difficult for the body clock to adjust to that.

Australia is the hardest place in the world to tour at the best of times...

Last edited:

typicalfan

Coach
In Sydney/Melbourne, the match sessions are 4-6pm, 6:40-8:40pm & 9-11pm (with an additional 30 minutes to complete overs). So, the cut-off time will be 11:30pm, which is 1:30am in NZ. No rain is expected in Perth at this time of the year, otherwise an additional hour can occur in the last session due to rain delays.

It's stupid having the 40min "dinner" break after the 1st session, since it will be only 3pm in Perth. In the Adelaide day/night test (as well as the Brisbane day/nighter last summer), the 40min break was taken after the 2nd session. This scheduling for the Perth test was undoubtedly done for Ch7's benefit so their 6pm news bulletin in the major tv rating markets (Sydney/Melbourne) wouldn't be interrupted. Ch9 would've done the exact same thing had they been broadcasting the match.
It's pretty much the reason for Day/Night tests period. It's crickets version of 6pm Friday NRL games although I'm glad I can watch most of it.