What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jonus Pearson

nontime111

Juniors
nothing will happen till then not unless behind the scenes hes already been told to just shut up and Shep and Flan takes full control... then youll see RAV fly!

Auntie.Gerald

First Grade
I agree Rav has shown me nothing except he has hands like feet & is very suspect under the high ball. He needs to spend time in the CC’s along with Lafai to see if he is a FG footballer which he is not at the moment IMO.

Kite

Friz

First year dropzzzzizzz

Well, for starters, most of us agree that the world class representative centre is a world class representative coaching dope and so we have hired everyone but the Almighty to smother over his deficiencies- Flanagan or Shepherd could well be the coach that unleashes the Rav 4.
I agree and I am also hopeful that these new coaching crutches will influence our fortunes in 2020.
I think back to Jason Demetriou's time under McGregor and wonder whether Flannagan and Shepherd will be treated the same way.

Banjo2014

Juniors
Well, for starters, most of us agree that the world class representative centre is a world class representative coaching dope and so we have hired everyone but the Almighty to smother over his deficiencies- Flanagan or Shepherd could well be the coach that unleashes the Rav 4.
Please not Ravalawa no fgs

Saint_JimmyG

First Grade
The two obstacles that are present here are:
  • The coach's ability to teach/train the player.
  • The player's ability to learn and put into practice.
The applicable changes in 2020 are:
  • Flanagan is a proven first grade coach with the ability to improve young players.
  • Ravalawa is an international centre who needs instruction and the chance to put that advice into practice/performance on the field.
We have the pre-season to experiment and come up with a winning formula. Let's use this period wisely rather than just repeat things that have not worked over the past few years. I have no doubt that Ravalawa with the right coaching would become a very robust and skilful right centre.

Describing Ravalawa as an “international” centre is in doubt the funniest thing I’ve read this year*.

*Excluding Muzby’s posts.

possm

Coach
If Flanagan is not available because of an NRL ban at the time Mary's appointment is ended, then I'd rather Sheppard over Dean Young as the interim coach.

RufusRex

Post Whore
What has Rava shown to suggest he could be a centre
These are only small tid bits ... obviously needs further exploration but the basics are there.

1. An exceptional right to left pass (Norman try assist earlier in the year)
2. One game early in the season he drifted from the right wing into left centre and created a line break for the left winger (Pereira)
3. Another length of the field try he received the ball in a left centre kind of position and was able to release the left wing with a pearler pass ... might have ended up in a try for dufty.
4. Has a short kicking game
5. A try he scored running a great centre line on the right
6. Put on close the biggest hit of any dragon this year
7. Actually looks like he talks in the defensive line.

The issues in his game
1. The high ball ... this goes away to a certain extent as a centre - his ground ball handling is actually pretty good.
2. Catching a pass - the biggest worry to me ... Definately needs work
3. Consistency - i would be giving him time in the trials at centre and perhaps centre in the reggies for a few weeks ... He is a left centre to me though, not a right.

He is a bloke that grew up playing rugby sevens. That is a game where you need to have vision and decent passing. There are not specifically wingers in that as you basically get to where you need to be to support the ball carrier. In terms of passing he has a very good long pass and a short pass to match .. He can offload in the tackle, can run decent lines and is strong enough to break a tackle and release his winger. He offers a lot more than Aitken did game 1 as a centre for us.

In terms of footy senses he easily outstrips Aitken as a centre ... Aitken is that bad.

There is an rumoured attitude issue - but seriously i would have my doubts over any player at the club who wasnt pissed off with out coaching direction.

BLM01

First Grade
These are only small tid bits ... obviously needs further exploration but the basics are there.

2. One game early in the season he drifted from the right wing into left centre and created a line break for the left winger (Pereira)
3. Another length of the field try he received the ball in a left centre kind of position and was able to release the left wing with a pearler pass ... might have ended up in a try for dufty.

The issues in his game
1. The high ball ... this goes away to a certain extent as a centre - his ground ball handling is actually pretty good.
3. Consistency - i would be giving him time in the trials at centre and perhaps centre in the reggies for a few weeks ... He is a left centre to me though, not a right.

He is a bloke that grew up playing rugby sevens. That is a game where you need to have vision and decent passing. There are not specifically wingers in that as you basically get to where you need to be to support the ball carrier. In terms of passing he has a very good long pass and a short pass to match .. He can offload in the tackle, can run decent lines and is strong enough to break a tackle and release his winger. He offers a lot more than Aitken did game 1 as a centre for us.

In terms of footy senses he easily outstrips Aitken as a centre ... Aitken is that bad.

There is an rumoured attitude issue - but seriously i would have my doubts over any player at the club who wasnt pissed off with out coaching direction.
You spoke and raised good points re the attacking side of the game
His reading of defence is also not that good and centre is a harder position to defend consistently than wing as you have 2 communicate and cover with both inside and outside men.
Not saying he cant make it...but have not seen no where near enough... those attacking stuff you mention can work just as well on the wing.
The attitude issue is a problem but......same thing with Nene

RufusRex

Post Whore
You spoke and raised good points re the attacking side of the game
His reading of defence is also not that good and centre is a harder position to defend consistently than wing as you have 2 communicate and cover with both inside and outside men.
Not saying he cant make it...but have not seen no where near enough... those attacking stuff you mention can work just as well on the wing.
The attitude issue is a problem but......same thing with Nene

BLM1 .. yep .. i think he is worth looking at with centre and via the trials and reggies ... if he shows promise then give him a run .. if he doesnt .. well he still wouldnt be any worse than aitken.

Rava looks to communicate more than Aitken now .. i mean Aitken's communication these days is to blame others after the event for his own mistakes ... Lomax to me looks like our best right centre and Rava to me seems a left. Start Lafai there but it wouldnt take much for Rava to take the spot off him if he went ok in reserves. I wouldnt persist with him on the wing though.

BLM01

First Grade
BLM1 .. yep .. i think he is worth looking at with centre and via the trials and reggies ... if he shows promise then give him a run .. if he doesnt .. well he still wouldnt be any worse than aitken.

Rava looks to communicate more than Aitken now .. i mean Aitken's communication these days is to blame others after the event for his own mistakes ... Lomax to me looks like our best right centre and Rava to me seems a left. Start Lafai there but it wouldnt take much for Rava to take the spot off him if he went ok in reserves. I wouldnt persist with him on the wing though.
Yes well you have a point re Euie the bulldozer and Teflon Timmy. I am glad someone else sees that Lomax should be right centre. I am still hoping that will be the case come Round 1...all this fullback stuff is paper talk although might happen... it should no way be set in stone and i think it is a mistake for lomax's future.
Boy...Rav's defense needs a lot of work......then again so does St George...enter Shane Flanagan

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
I agree, but no funnier than describing Aitken as an international centre.

It's really funny when Aitken is referred to as a Scottish International. Now let me see- how many kilt wearing centres are there running around in the NRL that Aitken had to beat to the position?

qld redvee

Juniors
Well it was reported 1 week ago that Pearson was going to sign with Titans . If we are happy to let him go THEN WHY havent we pushed ahead to allow the Titans to sign him ??? I know its a very minor point but we are paying the guy until he signs and gets a clearance Its in our best interest to get him off the books sooner rather than later whats the use of putting him through training / drills if in a matter of days hes gone .. i suppose we will find out that Jonus has gone when he appears at Titans training . I wish the club could start communicating with us fans in a timely manner - can supercoach please pass on his new found communication smarts to the rest of the club !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dragsters

First Grade

The issues in his game

In the 2 tests I watched him play centre this year for Fiji he looked more than capable...

Latest posts