What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sydney Kings owner lashes Dragons

getsmarty

Immortal
They should be the NY Yankees': Sydney Kings owner lashes Dragons
f3d0dacee5b0179c7b5b04391b595375649f0c4d

Andrew Webster
Chief Sports WriterSend via EmailLeave a comment

Sydney Kings owner Paul Smith has lashed St George Illawarra for rejecting his $12 million offer to buy a 50 per cent stake in the club, claiming he could have turned it into the “New York Yankees of Australian sport”.

Smith felt his company, Total Sports and Entertainment, was in the box seat late last year to buy out Illawarra’s 50 per cent stake in the joint venture — only to miss out to Bruce Gordon’s WIN Corporation, which had walked away from negotiations in April 2018.

c10b3364293ebc2c6806e1d098f6a7024883d34b

Big year ahead ... For Ben Hunt and the Dragons.Credit:Getty

He had never spoken publicly about the failed Dragons bid until this column cornered him at a recent Kings game. Given some of the grave misgivings Dragons fans have about the running of their club right now, it’s timely.

“We know what we put up: about $11.5-12 million,” Smith said. “The problem is that everywhere we turned, people were questioning our motives. Honesty isn’t highly valued in rugby league, therefore integrity is a cheap thing to trade out.

“I realise now that, notwithstanding the troubles the club has had, it would’ve been a disaster with us because I would’ve been dealing in a straight-up manner. We would have butted heads with St George Leagues club, who would have treated us like we were beneficial but not important.

"We could have done a good job with the Dragons. It is one of the great sporting brands in Australia. It should be the New York Yankees of Australian sport. It should be up there with Collingwood. But it's not."

WIN Corporation has never revealed what it paid to take part-ownership of the club. The sum is rumoured to be $10 million, although some parties believe it is much less.

Money aside, it’s how the club has been run since Gordon’s son, Andrew, became chairman and the man he replaced, Brian Johnston, became chief executive, that has Red V fans most aggrieved.

Make no mistake: no club is under more pressure in 2020 than the Dragons. Coach Paul McGregor is fighting to save his job; the careers of Ben Hunt and Corey Norman are at a crossroads; the recruitment of veterans Trent Merrin and Issac Luke is puzzling; and all this on top of Origin forward Jack de Belin facing court in early February on rape charges.

Not buying the Dragons has meant Smith can focus on the Kings, who crashed to two losses last weekend but still lead the NBL with an 11-3 win-loss record.

Smith, who hails from the South Coast, remains a Dragons fan — but is wary of becoming involved again in rugby league.

“If you were going to find something that equates to the old Labor left of NSW, rugby league is where they live,” he said. “They are the greatest haters and they never forget. That’s the trouble with some sports. They carry these things in their backpacks forever and they never let it go.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/th...ngs-owner-lashes-dragons-20191212-p53jd4.html

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We love a good Illawarra bash session in here, but the guy who many see as the great white hope that we missed out on has clearly pointed the finger at the issue at hand..

Anyway, I hate to do the “I told you so” dance, so I’ll just retreat back into my cave..

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Just imagine how strong the Dragons could be if St George Leagues Club sold their half to TSE...

Sorry.. back to my cave and all that jazz..

getsmarty

Immortal
Just imagine how strong the Dragons could be if St George Leagues Club sold their half to TSE...

Sorry.. back to my cave and all that jazz..

I think people may have taken the O'connor comments in regards to the current coach and then propagated the theory that all the blame was on the Illawarra side of the joint venture when in reality the St George side was more than likely equal in terms of decisions made...;)..

P.S I have worded this as carefully as possible as it is a public forum....

P.P.S Thank you Andrew Webster....We need more of the same to shine a light on what may be happening behind the scenes,

Last edited:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I think people may have taken the O'connor comments in regards to the current coach and then propagated the theory that all the blame was on the Illawarra side of the joint venture when in reality the St George side was more than likely equal in terms of decisions made...;)..

P.P.S Thank you Andrew Webster....We need more of the same to shin a light on what may be happening behind the scenes,
You’re saying people on here have taken things out of context and blown them out of proportion?

Hell no.. ;)

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
People will still support the club no matter what....This article is a step in the right direction....

Well done Andrew Webster.....hopefully just the beginning...
Agree..

I’m over the whole name on the top of the crest vs the name at the bottom of the crest crap..

We’re one club - how do we work together as one to become great again..?

Ps. Go Steelers :wink:

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Although Smith is actually from the South Coast and the buyers Win who duped him are also from the South Coast!
He’s not calling out WIN though..

He’s calling out the St George Leagues Club as where he’d have to butt heads.

Read the article again.

SaintPauli

Juniors
He’s not calling out WIN though..

He’s calling out the St George Leagues Club as where he’d have to butt heads.

Read the article again.
I get that, it just seems the St George leagues had an issue with South Coast Smith. Remember, on reports he actually did offer significantly more for a 50% share. You have to wonder what the actual issue was? Perhaps conflict of interest, different perceived outlook for club moving forward etc. We will probably never know as often we hear crickets.

SBD82

Coach
I get that, it just seems the St George leagues had an issue with South Coast Smith. Remember, on reports he actually did offer significantly more for a 50% share. You have to wonder what the actual issue was? Perhaps conflict of interest, different perceived outlook for club moving forward etc. We will probably never know as often we hear crickets.
The St George leagues club board were probably mortified that he would keep them accountable for their decisions.

dragonhysteria

Juniors
I wish TSE won the bid, however, it would have been good if the article expanded on what TSE had planned for taking the club forward. I agree they would have butted heads, however, the comments from TSE do come across like “sour grapes” because they were not successful. A more detailed article would have been great.

possm

Coach
Interesting how he calls out St George as the problem in the JV....
Well now that Illawarra Rugby Leagues Club are no longer a partner and do not hold any shares, it would be very difficult to blame them for the current state of affairs. Thank God they are out of the equation, who knows where we would be today if they were still involved.

So yes, part of the old boys club still remains and these people are still the main reason the Dragons are in a mess. I suppose the next step is to take these people out of the equation by selling the St George Leagues club shares to Smith. Maybe only then will some sensible decisions at SGI will begin to be made. The Leagues Club could justify this sale by using the funds to redevelop the Taj. The St George Football Club would then become a mouth piece for matters football on the Board with a 20% share, 10% from both entities. Full members of the St George Leagues Club could then vote for there representatives on the Board.

The current Board and current management staff, Mary and Millward, are not held accountable for their poor decision and their performance. The article rightly questions the recruitment of Merrin and Luke when players like Arrow and Fifita are up for grabs and a birght young Dragons junior like Robson had to leave the club to be given an opportunity to develop into a regular first grade player.

Our back five is our weakest link and yet we retain our poor performing centres when players like Michell and Scott were on the market. In addition, we put up with the below standard of Hunt our most expensive player, move arguably our best centre to fullback. The wingers in our club are of reserve grade standard with only Saab showing any signs of a possible rise to first grade standard.

It is time SGI got tough with its senior players and insisted on a much higher standard that is being offered. We need Aitken and Lafai gone and two top first grade centre to take their place. Failing this we need to work hard to transform players within the club into first grade centres. Players should clearly understand and expect that they will be dropped to CC if they perform poorly in first grade.

If Smith was part owner, I doubt very much that Johnston would have been appointed CEO and Andrew Gordon would be chairman of the Board. I feel sure that ALL of the old boys including Millward and Mary would have been sacked. SGI would have experienced a very much needed clean out and be on its way to greatness again.

Smith would have made sure that SGI would have access to third party agreements on par with the top level clubs. I'm sure the extra cash he was offering could have been put towards the recruitment of a top level coaching staff and the purchase of the latest training facilities. I am very sure he would not be relying on advice from Craig Young with regards to football matters.

In my opinion we missed a great opportunity to move forward mainly because the old boys club did not want to loose the cushy jobs and perks they have enjoyed over the years.

possm

Coach
Agree..

I’m over the whole name on the top of the crest vs the name at the bottom of the crest crap..

We’re one club - how do we work together as one to become great again..?

Ps. Go Steelers :wink:
The most sensible way to work together is to have St George as the NRL team and Illawarra Stealers as the Junior Development and feeder club. I don't have a problem with the SGI name remaining.

Dragonsamy

Bench

P.P.S Thank you Andrew Webster....We need more of the same to shine a light on what may be happening behind the scenes,

Agree Smarty,
The more of these type of articles the better. Now that they are all coming out you would hope there is light at the end of the tunnel. But it's a bloody big tunnel