What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peter V'landys - New NRL/ARLC Chairman

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
Can't help but notice the absense of Stallion's rediculous posts on these forums lately. Could it be that he is busy with something else? Could it be that he was V'landys all along? They seem to have similar ideas for the game....

simmo05

Bench
Spot on, the fact that the two most successful and well supported clubs in the NRL have very little Jnr development shows what an outdated irrelevance that thinking is. Take away the pokie machines form the other NRL clubs and lets see how committed they are to Jnr development!
What a perposterous statement. When there are no juniors, how can any merkin field a team?

Perth Red

Post Whore
What a perposterous statement. When there are no juniors, how can any merkin field a team?

there will be Jnrs, it’s just not the nrl clubs responsibility beyond taking the best 16 year olds and turning them into first graders, under that it should be the nrl/state body/LC’s where relevant/amateur clubs etc responsibility to have as many kids as possible playing the game.

NRL clubs need to concentrate on being the very best top tier professional sports club they can be.

The Great Dane

First Grade
there will be Jnrs, it’s just not the nrl clubs responsibility beyond taking the best 16 year olds and turning them into first graders, under that it should be the nrl/state body/LC’s where relevant/amateur clubs etc responsibility to have as many kids as possible playing the game.

NRL clubs need to concentrate on being the very best top tier professional sports club they can be.

Good luck developing anybody to NRL standard then...

Any athlete with any talent will be poached by the AFL, ARU, etc, because without the NRL clubs (and the resources they have) to convince them that there's potentially a career in RL for them they'll take the money elsewhere.

BTW, the only reason that the two most successful NRL club's have few juniors is because they spend their money (and then some...) poaching them from other clubs instead of developing their own, and because of the precedent that they have set more clubs are starting to give up on junior development in favour of poaching, which in the long term is going to lead to their being less juniors and eventually less players.

franklin2323

Immortal
Good luck developing anybody to NRL standard then...

Any athlete with any talent will be poached by the AFL, ARU, etc, because without the NRL clubs (and the resources they have) to convince them that there's potentially a career in RL for them they'll take the money elsewhere.

BTW, the only reason that the two most successful NRL club's have few juniors is because they spend their money (and then some...) poaching them from other clubs instead of developing their own, and because of the precedent that they have set more clubs are starting to give up on junior development in favour of poaching, which in the long term is going to lead to their being less juniors and eventually less players.

Junior development is the one thing NRL clubs do right. There is no shortage of talent (atm I think it is all too young but still there)

siv

First Grade
Junior development is the one thing NRL clubs do right. There is no shortage of talent (atm I think it is all too young but still there)

Agree

Thats why there always should be 2 pathways

Fulltime professional
Parttime athletes

NRL is fulltime pathway
Qld Cup / NSW Cup is partime pathway

Trying to merge the two continues to create issues

franklin2323

Immortal
What’s the relevance of rep players.
Surely it’s about the growing numbers of juniors seeing as you raised it

Quality players leave like JT or Slater up steps Ponga.

We still have 3 junior grades in both state run leagues... so where is the drop then?

Wily Ole Dog

Juniors
I’m sure someone can find the all figures but this from the NRL

Overall male participation increased by two per cent but the one area of the game which did not experience growth was among 13-18-year-old boys”

“We still have a challenge in terms of growing the game for young men between 13 and 18 years old and we are working on that," Beattie said. "We are losing people in that age group, we need to continue to get them."

2% is poor

mongoose

Coach
Not sure I agree. AFL is putting the NRL to shame

how can you compare them though? maybe AFL is putting League to shame in younger age groups with their dubious auskick figures but is their top flight comp getting any benefit out of it? I hear a lot of talk from AFL followers I know who say the kicking skills in the AFL are at an all time low and I've seen a few games in the last few years to know what they are talking about...
Soccer has a trillion kids playing on weekends across all age groups and yet the national team is ordinary. Players from that golden generation like Harry Kewell, Cahill and Viduka haven't been replaced.

League seem to be doing pretty well when it comes to replacing its highest quality players in the NRL (though some will disagree)

franklin2323

Immortal
how can you compare them though? maybe AFL is putting League to shame in younger age groups with their dubious auskick figures but is their top flight comp getting any benefit out of it? I hear a lot of talk from AFL followers I know who say the kicking skills in the AFL are at an all time low and I've seen a few games in the last few years to know what they are talking about...
Soccer has a trillion kids playing on weekends across all age groups and yet the national team is ordinary. Players from that golden generation like Harry Kewell, Cahill and Viduka haven't been replaced.

League seem to be doing pretty well when it comes to replacing its highest quality players in the NRL (though some will disagree)

That is my point.

A school does a free 6 week program. Gets equipment those kids are AFL juniors despite not playing a competitive game.

Soccer will always benefit from the non contract easy on body side of things but at the top level it is poor.

RU doesn’t produce any quality anymore.

Compare that to the NRL where every season there is a few quality players developing... NRL development pathways work.

At various local levels maybe not so but there is many reasons outside of sport as to why country towns are struggling

siv

First Grade
RL quality has dropped when they removed the U23s development layer and compounded by the RG feeder change

Last edited:

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
I’m sure someone can find the all figures but this from the NRL

Overall male participation increased by two per cent but the one area of the game which did not experience growth was among 13-18-year-old boys”

“We still have a challenge in terms of growing the game for young men between 13 and 18 years old and we are working on that," Beattie said. "We are losing people in that age group, we need to continue to get them."

2% is poor

Isn't that the age that they get scholarships to RU only schools? Don't worry we pick up the best of the talent at the other end ;)