What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Just been reading the Roosters have one of the lowest TPA's. Makes sense to me. Why would the players need TPA's when they can just head off to Los Vages and everyone come back a winner some of the stars might be luckier than others but I am guessing every one is a winner even players who don't normally bet. Speculation of-course. Surely the Roosters wouldn't be involved in any thing dodgy.

It sounds like he wanted to put out feelers to see what he was worth as a negotiating tactic for a new contract with the Roosters.

Mitchell had issues through the season. He went missing in games. Roosters stood by him.
As a show of gratitude, Mitchell tells them he's going to ask for big money. Was that the final straw?
Did the coach & management throw their hands up in frustration & decide he's just not worth the trouble?
It happened really fast; one day he says he's putting out feelers, the next day he's out. Clearly Roosters didn't require any time to think it over.

My sense is that Mitchell has an attitude problem. Easts know this.

I bet they're relieved that he'll now be someone elses problem. They'll feel like Kerry Packer when he sold Channel 9 to Alan Bond for ten times it's worth.
Just been reading the Roosters have one of the lowest TPA's. Makes sense to me. Why would the players need TPA's when they can just head off to Los Vages and everyone come back a winner some of the stars might be luckier than others but I am guessing every one is a winner even players who don't normally bet. Speculation of-course. Surely the Roosters wouldn't be involved in any thing dodgy.

I’d be thinking that with all that blatant talent, they would be under perpetual heavy scrutiny and the nrl Integrity cap swat team would be into their books and interrogating them every other day.

The reality is simple: that they get things right and they know their stuff.

Instead of their excess players, we should be spending money enticing their top officials to Concord to help and teach our ugly unloved lot.

These are people who can spot talent, bust decisions on retention and play hard ball on negotiations. Then they win comps...as the net result of being wise across many areas.

Their harsh response to lms poorly advised self indulgent sojourn was a statement of their overall power, might and self belief.

I suspect many of the clubs would be secretly pleased that for once, a club is not being run over.

No phone call yet from Latrell. Surprise effing surprise!

He’s obviously still sulking, $800k a years worth of tears. Cry me a river Latrell!

Josh has been unceremoniously pulled from the domestic violence campaign.

This is whilst the charges remain unproven.

They are afraid of allegations of hypocrisy and standing by a bad person.

Essentially what is really happening is that it is the nrl trusting the judgment of the officers who made the decision to proceed. Mmm.

An allegation carries far too much weight in this country. I think it should in some cases, but rare and exceptional confined to imminent and proximate harm.

Too many snouts in the trough hoping and praying for a bad outcome for someone they don’t even know about something they know even less about.

As each day passes, more and more people get suspicious of motives and agendas of people in power. A lot of things we are supposed to follow are stupid and poorly conceived. Society is disjointed.

They changed the traffic laws in Sydney recently and it resulted in a raft of fresh accidents where there had been virtuality none before in that area. Well done nsw government.

So they had to change it back as the law was putting lives at serious risk.

The nrl think we are the dumbest fan base on earth.

Leigh Howlett

Juniors
Josh has been unceremoniously pulled from the domestic violence campaign.

This is whilst the charges remain unproven.

They are afraid of allegations of hypocrisy and standing by a bad person.

Essentially what is really happening is that it is the nrl trusting the judgment of the officers who made the decision to proceed. Mmm.

An allegation carries far too much weight in this country.

Too many snouts in the trough hoping and praying for a bad outcome for someone they don’t even know about something they know even less about.

As each day passes, more and more people get suspicious of motives and agendas of people in power. A lot of things we are supposed to follow are stupid and poorly conceived. Society is disjointed.

They changed the traffic laws in Sydney recently and it resulted in a raft of fresh accidents where there had been virtuality none before in that area. Well done nsw government.

So they had to change it back as the law was putting lives at serious risk.

The nrl think we are the dumbest fan base on earth.

Guilty until proved innocent, Social Media slams RL players immeditidaley but are very very slow in offering an aplology when its all BS.

macnaz

Staff member
The figures only show 3rd party payments that are at ARMS LENGTH from the club , so I think the Roosters are being totally honest. .. if they had to ad hand and back hand length payments perhaps the figures would be a bit different.

gordsy

Juniors
The best one I heard of recently was Scott Prince getting his house renovated. Nothing to declare to the tax man and he can use the extra money that his house is worth to borrow against, for investment properties if he was advised right. Genius.

Legion

Juniors
Yes, but I think we need him (or someone of that quality) more so than the Roosters.
For really big money we need someone who can lead by example, on the field & at training. Someone with a solid work ethic. A player who puts in week in, week out. A player who the young 'uns look up to.

Take the Pom James Graham for example. he expects the best from himself as well as his team-mates. He leaves nothing on the field. He backs up & is always there in defense when faster backs have given up the chase.
Love him or hate him, that's exactly the type of attitude that we need in a top paid player.

Lattrell is not that guy. He has too many issues. He goes missing in games. He does not back up.
Apologies for sounding like a broken record but a piss poor attitude rubs off on other players.
Imagine a player being on a 1/3 of the money, watching their highest paid team member not putting in at training & on the field?

One only need look at Hayne to see how a poor attitude can hold a player back. On his day, when the stars aligned & Hayne was in the mood, the guy was a wrecking ball.
There's a few similarities between Hayne & Mitchell; naturally gifted, big, fast, both can step off either foot. Hayne had the potential to be an Immortal.
LM also has the sheer natural talent & size to be one of the all time greats.

Look at another guy who was blessed with natural talent, Freddy Fittler. Apparently he also had an attitude when he was a young bloke until someone got in his ear & turned him around.
Look at how that worked out for him.

LM needs a mentor who could bring out his best. Sadly he's surrounded himself with dickheads like The Mouth Mundine [The Mouths father, Tony, is a top bloke. How his son turned into a dickhead is beyond me]

I wish LM the best & hope that he gets his act together so he can play to his full potential. If he does, he'll go down in history as an Immortal. If nothing changes, he'll end up like Hayne, a wasted talent & what could have been.

Now maybe Madge is exactly the type of mentor that Mitchell needs, I don't know. If he was asking $600K I'd say it would be well worth the risk. At $1million a year however, there's just too many issues. It would be yet another poor decision that comes back to haunt us.

Radical Rat

Juniors
For really big money we need someone who can lead by example, on the field & at training. Someone with a solid work ethic. A player who puts in week in, week out. A player who the young 'uns look up to.

Take the Pom James Graham for example. he expects the best from himself as well as his team-mates. He leaves nothing on the field. He backs up & is always there in defense when faster backs have given up the chase.
Love him or hate him, that's exactly the type of attitude that we need in a top paid player.

Lattrell is not that guy. He has too many issues. He goes missing in games. He does not back up.
Apologies for sounding like a broken record but a piss poor attitude rubs off on other players.
Imagine a player being on a 1/3 of the money, watching their highest paid team member not putting in at training & on the field?

One only need look at Hayne to see how a poor attitude can hold a player back. On his day, when the stars aligned & Hayne was in the mood, the guy was a wrecking ball.
There's a few similarities between Hayne & Mitchell; naturally gifted, big, fast, both can step off either foot. Hayne had the potential to be an Immortal.

Look at another guy who was blessed with natural talent, Freddy Fittler. Apparently he also had an attitude when he was a young bloke until someone got in his ear & turned him around.

LM needs a mentor who could bring out his best. Sadly he's surrounded himself with dickheads like The Mouth Mundine [The Mouths father, Tony, is a top bloke. How his son turned into a dickhead is beyond me]

I wish LM the best & hope that he gets his act together so he can play to his full potential. If he does, he'll go down in history as an Immortal. If nothing changes, he'll end up like Hayne, a wasted talent & what could have been.

Now maybe Madge is exactly the type of mentor that Mitchell needs, I don't know. If he was asking $600K I'd say it would be well worth the risk. At $1million a year however, there's just too many issues. It would be yet another poor decision that comes back to haunt us.
I tend to agree. It’s hard as we’ve been starved of any star power for so long, but there are heap of red flags here.

In saying that if we do sign him I’ll still piss my pants in excitement and take the half glass full approach.

Tigerm

First Grade

I just don't see the risk, if he turns out badly I think there will be a lot of clubs knocking on our door to take him off our hands.
The guy can obviously play and we need his ilk, there are not too many $1m players available.
Worth a try I think.

Tigerm

First Grade

Turn that blue & red into gold and we got ourselves a Tiger Shark:D:D:D

I wonder how much they paid for that?

Legion

Juniors
I just don't see the risk, if he turns out badly I think there will be a lot of clubs knocking on our door to take him off our hands.
The guy can obviously play and we need his ilk, there are not too many $1m players available.
Worth a try I think.
Yeah knocking on our door because other clubs will offer him $6-7K & we'll have to make up the difference.

There's the suggestion that he could go to Rugby. Not because he loves the game but because he's chasing the $$$.

What a poor attitude. Personally I'd much prefer a player who loves playing OUR game & who's keen to play for the Tigers.

simmo05

Bench
The best one I heard of recently was Scott Prince getting his house renovated. Nothing to declare to the tax man and he can use the extra money that his house is worth to borrow against, for investment properties if he was advised right. Genius.
I thought he had one built by the tits, and the builder went merkin up?

Vic Mackey

Referee
So he's a mercenary, most of them are, he will learn to love us.

Not really sure why the term ‘mercenary’ is considered an insult. These guys play professional sport, they are entitled to get as much as they can from their limited life span in this career. Hell if a guy is motivated by money then he’s gunna train and play his heart out to get an extra $150kpa from Origin, that a great thing for his club side!

simmo05

Bench

I was wondering if it would be feasible to offer say, 800 or whatever the roosters were offering, with some tight kpi's as an added bonus. For example x tries, x line breaks, x points. Make him work for the mil. Don' know if you can offer performance based contracts like that though

The Rosco

Bench
Here is the problem. The Christian bashers seem to be able to say whatever their dumbarse heads can come up with, and have zero consequence.
But if I even mention the word gay, or aboriginal, or queer, or lesbian . . . . all the " must be offended sheep " come out of hiding, and have zero consequence to the precious little tirade they will unload.
This forum used to be about a bunch of blokes talkin footy.
Now it's worse than a Newtown cafe.
WA Tiger . . . if you woke up one day as an intelligent, rational and FAIR MINDED human being, you'd probably think differently too. But that ain't gonna happen.
Oh, and do you seriously ask yourself why aboriginals are massively over-represented in our jail system ? . Surely you know the answer. Surely.
It must be the Christian's fault. Who else could it possibly be ? I know . . . Donald Trump. Yep, that's it. It's them bloody Christians and Donald Trump. Couldn't possibly be anyone else's fault, could it ?

Not really sure why the term ‘mercenary’ is considered an insult. These guys play professional sport, they are entitled to get as much as they can from their limited life span in this career. Hell if a guy is motivated by money then he’s gunna train and play his heart out to get an extra $150kpa from Origin, that a great thing for his club side!

The guy is going to treat the other 15 clubs the same. He knows none of them from a bar of shit. He has only ever known the Chooks as a pathways junior and professional footy player. Why wouldn't he go test the market to see what he can get?

My thought is that we've thrown superstar money after average to above-average players for years for f**k all result. All signings are risky, I'd rather us throw superstar money to land a superstar.